Home General Discussion

Retirement Cigar

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
After 40 years of building a company, I am retiring at the end of the year. I would like to get a special cigar to celebrate and am looking for suggestions. I like medium and strong cigars, natural and maduro-maybe something to pair with some fine bourbon I will be celebrating with as well! My local b&m has the Padron 50th anniversary, priced at $50. Has anyone had experience with that? I do like Padron cigars-had most of their sticks but not that one. Am willing to spend $50, but was wondering if anyone had another option for up to that amount that I should consider. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the upcoming retirement. Your choice would make my list of suggestions, but I haven't had one. A Behike would be at the top of my list also.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrat's on the retirement, well deserved.  I have a hard time planning my smokes now.  I think about smoking a MOW later, then when I go in I grab a Pepin instead.  Maybe get a box of those Padron's as a retirement present to yourself.  Then they can age along with you, lol.  Best of luck.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO the padron 40th makes more sense to me. $50 for the 50th is twice the msrp unless it's the one in the special humidor ant that would be half the price. Why not just buy it from here?
    Money can't buy taste
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    God of fire carlito. Can't go wrong.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gripnrip said:
    After 40 years of building a company, I am retiring at the end of the year. I would like to get a special cigar to celebrate and am looking for suggestions. I like medium and strong cigars, natural and maduro-maybe something to pair with some fine bourbon I will be celebrating with as well! My local b&m has the Padron 50th anniversary, priced at $50. Has anyone had experience with that? I do like Padron cigars-had most of their sticks but not that one. Am willing to spend $50, but was wondering if anyone had another option for up to that amount that I should consider. Thanks in advance for the advice!
    After 40 years, you deserve more than one. Sample some over the next few months and re-celebrate with you favorite. Congrats!
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 50 is a great stick. So is the 40 line. Can't go wrong either way. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the upcoming retirement! Given your budget, I´d also recommend one that´s been put forth here - that is, the Behike. You can get one for about that price, perhaps including shipping in that price depending on your vitola. 
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the good wishes and suggestions! I like the idea of the Padron 40th anniversary (a nice symmetry there I think) and maybe doing the GOF Carlito as well. I also like the idea of a box of the Padron to age with this old timer...if I don't get through them all I could leave them to my son-lol. Would be interested in checking into the Behike as well, but don't know where to get them as I haven't purchased any CC online. Maybe a pm from someone with advice on that? Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. Whatever I get to celebrate it will be savored.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    well done sir! 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
    gripnrip said:
     Whatever I get to celebrate it will be savored.

Bingo!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    gripnrip said:
    Thanks for all the good wishes and suggestions! I like the idea of the Padron 40th anniversary (a nice symmetry there I think) and maybe doing the GOF Carlito as well. I also like the idea of a box of the Padron to age with this old timer...if I don't get through them all I could leave them to my son-lol. Would be interested in checking into the Behike as well, but don't know where to get them as I haven't purchased any CC online. Maybe a pm from someone with advice on that? Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. Whatever I get to celebrate it will be savored.
    PM sent.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daniel Marshall Golden Torpedo. I don know what they taste like, but you have a golden ash when your done to commemorate the occasion. 
    From one old timer to another I mentioned buying a box of something special to mark the occasion and to keep it alive.  Quite a milestone and the start of a new life really, your life now.  From time to time you can take one out and relive it, you've earned it.

You've gotten lots of good suggestions and I don't want to jack the thread but, recently retired myself and that's what I did.
    Hays said:
    gripnrip said:
    PM sent.

Replied!
    From one old timer to another I mentioned buying a box of something special to mark the occasion and to keep it alive.  Quite a milestone and the start of a new life really, your life now.  From time to time you can take one out and relive it, you've earned it.

You've gotten lots of good suggestions and I don't want to jack the thread but, recently retired myself and that's what I did.

No worries. Yes-some great suggestions and a generous offer from Hayes. The kind words and suggestions mean a lot. Thanks again to all. I do believe I will look at a box of something special (while I can still afford it!).
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great selection!! Enjoy retirement
    Good choice, now you can smoke one yearly on the anniversary of your retirement.  Keep track of which ages better though, the sticks or you, lol.
    Good choice, now you can smoke one yearly on the anniversary of your retirement.  Keep track of which ages better though, the sticks or you, lol.

Sticks will, no doubt.