Home Cigar 101

Hot cider pairing

FlyteFlyte Posts: 25 ✭✭
Here's an odd question. Has anyone ever tried pairing with a hot cider? It's starting to cool off around my neck of the woods and apple cider is starting to sound pretty good right about now. Thanks for any suggestions. 

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, I've never had hot apple cider and secondly, I live in Florida and wouldn't need it till January. Sucks
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It is getting chilly out here in Utah too; last few nights have been low 50's.

I mean, up at elevation, read 8,500+ feet, it can snow in summer (honest) if a good front comes through.

Down here in the valleys it doesn't cool down till fall. I am still shaking my head a bit that we're looking at the Autumnal Equinox in a few days.

If you can, pair a cigar with a Connecticut or Cameroon wrapper with that cider. I am thinking sweet to pair with the beverage.

Oh, and that warm drink sounds great! Makes me want some mulled wine too!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    @Flyte any update? How did your pairing go?

Thank you,
    Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • FlyteFlyte Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    jarubla said:

Thank you,
    Jay
    @jarublaI'm planing on pairing it with a Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne after work today. I'm hoping the light and crisp smoke will pair nicely with the cider. I'll be adding a shot of either Makers Mark bourbon or Jack Daniels Winter Apple. The cedar notes of this stick is what I'm hoping will really pop.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flyte said:
    jarubla said:

Thank you,
    Jay
    @jarublaI'm planing on pairing it with a Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne after work today. I'm hoping the light and crisp smoke will pair nicely with the cider. I'll be adding a shot of either Makers Mark bourbon or Jack Daniels Winter Apple. The cedar notes of this stick is what I'm hoping will really pop.
    That is a stick I keep in my ready box. So I always have 1 ready to smoke. Some prefer a stogie with a little more kick but I really love the 10th aniversery champagne, I find it great in the morning after I eat a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch cereal  B)
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Perdomo Champagne is a solid stick. You might like the Man O' War Virtue, to me it has a more robust flavor profile vs the Champagne.
  • FlyteFlyte Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Well as my first documented pairing I have to say it went well. No pictures sorry, my phone died before I could take any. But I'll still give my best description. 

Pairing Cigar: Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne Toro

Pairing with: Hot apple cider mixed with a shot of Jack Daniels Winter Apple.

The stick toasted nicely and after a little tlc it lit great. I started out taking a sip or so between draws since the cider was still very hot. Oddly it soothed my throat and palette nicely even with it being hot. As the first third came to a close and the stick warmed up the cedar and woodsy flavors really took over the initial flavors of toasted tobacco and light cream. It melded nicely with the apple flavors of the cider. I noticed that unlike other pairings I've tried neither flavor tried overwhelming the other. As the 2nd third ended so did most of the cedar notes which made me a little sad but the heavier cream and sweetness came back and to my surprise went great with the cider. The Jack really gives a nice burn to the cider without being to distracting. And finally as I finished my drink and cigar they left a very refreshing taste of cedar and a touch of whiskey on my tounge.

Hopefully someone finds this interesting and helpful. 

@jarubla you wanted an update so here ya go. 
    Thank you Thomas! Glad it paired so well. I have a couple Perdomo champagnes so I will give this a whirl...

Gonna have to try something for when the weather plumits closer to freezing.

Also gonna have to get one of those 'ball warmer' heaters I read about in an older post. @avengethis was it you who uses the heater?

-Jay
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is @brianetz1 that uses one.  I have one but I use it for ice fishing.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Thank you Thomas! Glad it paired so well. I have a couple Perdomo champagnes so I will give this a whirl...

Gonna have to try something for when the weather plumits closer to freezing.

Also gonna have to get one of those 'ball warmer' heaters I read about in an older post. @avengethis was it you who uses the heater?

-Jay
    best gift my wife has gotten me.....was able to smoke outside in 30 degree weather and not be super cold, well worth the investment

i highly suggest it
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I would make fun of you guys getting cold, but I had to break out a sweater this past weekend and am making a pot of green chile chicken stew right now. What part of Utah @jarubla ?
    Hi @pelirrojo

I work in Lehi and live :30 min south in Spanish Fork. Pretty much grew up in the area. 

Have you been out here for skiing or the like?

-Jay

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    You boys and your cold weather... I'm still in flip flops :*.... it's 11 pm and still 80 degrees right now
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I have not, but have always wanted to come fish the Green River up that way. Made it to Moab earlier this year but never any further north. I'm in the very NW corner of NM about 20 or 30 miles from the four corners. 
    edited September 2015
    Lol @ Nick!

Pelirrojo, if you ever need a guide for the Green my brother is one. :)
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    You boys and your cold weather... I'm still in flip flops :*.... it's 11 pm and still 80 degrees right now
    I lived in Orlando for 6 years and I definitely miss the late September to May weather. June thru August, not so much. You need a "ball cooler" for those months.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like an interesting pairing, ya colder weather for some reason make me want to smoke more! weird  
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to give it a try. I generally drink those glass bottles of coffee while I smoke
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to give it a try. I generally drink those glass bottles of coffee while I smoke

Oh my! that does not sound pleasant at all, do they pair well? I'm thinking your talking about the store bought Starbucks mocha thingys right
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n!