Home Cigar 101

New Smoker....

tdltdl Posts: 5
Ok ...its me again...some simple questions for everybody...not so much for me though....Ok i plan on buying a humidor...small 50 cig one to start with...any suggestions for someone that is still learning everything?....Also i have purchased several samplers..do i need to put them in it when i get them and are they a minimum amount of days to start with?.....Do i leave the celophane or whatever they come in on them?...I know these are sill questions but you can read so many different things so i just want it straight for you guys..people who smoke and love cigars....Thanks

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the deal. Are you planning on smoking regularly and do you plan on buying regularly? If you think a 50 count is enough get a 100 count. Two reasons, they never hold as many as they claim to and you will accumulate at a pretty quick rate. The cellophane is pure preferance. I leave it on to protect the. It will not affect the cigars humidity. As far as storage... you will need to "season" your humidor for at least a week to raise the humidity. Boveda sells season packs. Heartfelt beads also work well at regulating rh. Both boveda and heartfelt will absorb humidity if it climbs to high. There is a lot of useful knowledge here if you use the search bar you will find everything your looking for. Also read the pinned thread at the top.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Go bigger. 150 count easy if you plan on holding any stock. 300ct if you plan on aging. 
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a 150 quart cooler if you're anything like the rest of us.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My usual advice, get a bigger humidor and a second job!
  • tdltdl Posts: 5
    Thanks guys.....
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tdl what did you decide on?

Any links to stuff you are looking at?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • TheWebRecluseTheWebRecluse Posts: 33 ✭✭
    "Bigger humidor and second job" I second that :) 
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    I started with a 50-ct humidor.  I bought a second 50 within 2 months.  My CAS (Cigar Acquisition Syndrome) has tempered a bit over the past month, but confess that I put my cheap everyday smokes in a Tupperware container.

It really depends on how bad the bug is gonna bite.  I think I'm good with the 100+ arrangement I have now (haven't purchased in 3 weeks).

In the end, it obviously depends on how many cigars you're gonna smoke (unless you plan on aging your cigars).  If you're like I am (>10 smokes/week), an inventory of 80 or so cigars ought to work.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • tdltdl Posts: 5
    Sounds about right....Thanks man