Home Cigar 101

Anybody roll their own?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am starting to roll cigars. Anybody else roll? I am learning a lot about tobacco by getting my hands on the various leafs that make up a blend. There is always something more to learn.

Comments

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @webmostrolls his own! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a few hand rolls from @youngryan216 too
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webmost is the one who got me started rolling.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    @ShotgunJohn  Rolls also
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now and then, yes. Mostly perfectos.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah ha! Webby, I will light up one of your perfectos soon, then!

I am thinking a review is in order as well:)

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Mine are not as good as Webmost but here is a recent roll.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks good guys
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Hey @webmost I am about to light this puppy up!

Commence ignition in t-minus...

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    edited September 2015
    I am old school, I write down my reviews and then sleep on 'em. 

Will post something tomorrow. Damn fine stick, Webby!

-Jay
    Jay
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

^ LOL

I need to get to this and I will add it tonight when I get home

-Jay
    Some pics to tide you over, Nick!

edited September 2015
    Pardon typos, done on my phone

9-9-15

Uppowoc Perfecto - Rolled by Webmost

Paired with ice water, a home brew American light (turned out a bit on the sour side, TBH), and rice crackers

Pre light smell - very light
    Pre light taste - mild 
    Cut with xikar guillotine - draw is very open
    Toasted with X1

First notion is that this stick produces tons of smoke. Strength is mild-medium and flavors are subtle; leather, cedar and something else very pleasing on the palete.

Fantastic even burn. Wrapper has some toothiness to it, very pretty. More nuances; honey tones coming through now.
    This one likes to rest for 2 minutes between draws. It is loose, so it cools down fast.

I cut too far down the cap and the wrapper is coming unwound a bit (darn it, my fault!).

First ash fall at end of 1st third--admittedly I move my sticks about too much--I am not gentle with them, moving them back and forth from their rest. I have yet to have a super long undisturbed ash.

This thing is a smoke bomb!

Wrapper is on the dry side. I should have let this one rest, but I was too amped up to wait. 4 weeks and I think these will be just fine. 

Now getting tree nut flavors, hazelnut? Very pleasing!

I pushed the stick to see if I could make it harsh; 8-10 pulls to try and draw out the spice. I succeeded, but it is not peppery, instead I get a richer tobacco flavor, detectable in the back of my mouth.

1-2 min is perfect rest time as the Uppowoc breathes so freely. 4 min I expect it will go out. No re lights yet and excellent burn.

The last stick which breathed this freely did not produce near the amount of smoke. Interesting.

Second ashing at end of 2nd third.

Starting to feel it in my belly and head. Damn subtle stick snuck up on me! It is sly; advanced in its nuances. Nice to have one that does not simply drub me and be done with it.

Cedar is back now, strong in final 3rd. 

The beer does not pair well, nor the crackers. This stick would pair well with plain jerky and ice water, IMHO. 

Dammit, my low cut on the cap has come back to haunt me. Three draws into the final third and the wrapper popped. Sad to let this one go!

Good job Webmost! I am gonna control myself and let the other four rest. 

Smoke time, :55. Zero burn issues or delights needed. Loving this stick!

-Jay
    Nice write up Jay. Sounds good webmost.
    -- Winston Churchill

edited September 2015
    Was that the Mataloto or the Criolojo, or which? I dunno what I sent you. If you hit some habano puros, some of those are way too tight, cause they were made from too damp of leaves that a guy sent me. If they don't draw, just chuck them.

Yeah, I like to box them dry, tho. We have such rainy weather here. I keep them at 60 -- 65 max.

"This stick would pair well with plain jerky and ice water, IMHO. "

HAH! Funny you should say that. Just yesterday I burnt a Scrappowoc (made from scraps, so who knows the blend) with Modelo Especial and plain beef jerky. 

The truly surprising thing about rolling your own is that you really can get yourself a decent smoke outta the deal, no matter what they look like. It's good, too, that they don't cost much to make. On down the road, it's good when you can make a blend to suit yourself, and stash them away for four or six months, and enjoy them. But the bestest best best thing about it is how the experience of dabbling your hands in fine tobacco leaves turns out to be even better than smoking them. The oils come through your hands; the aroma fills your head; the whole job is delightful.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Webmost I must profess I couldn't tell the difference between the two!

Could you steer me to a commercial example which uses Mataloto?

I may be mistaken, but I understood Criollo to be more commonly used in commercial sticks.

Can you educate me a bit here?

Thank you!
    Jay
    edited September 2015
    I am fond of making up neologisms. Uppowoc is one Indian word for baccy. Mataloto is a made up word for Brazilian Mata Fina plus Piloto Cubano filler. Criollojo is a made up word for Criollo 98 plus Corojo filler. Either way, they're wrapped and prolly also bound in Habano 2000. Some of the older sticks I used to bind in Sumatra... but then I learned how to save my wrapper scraps for binder, which works better than the Sumatra. 

I really have zero recollection what all I sent you, to tell you the truth. I spose I ought to label them; but then... Neighbor came strolling across the street last night looking to cadge some more home rolled. Asked him which ones he liked that I gave him last time. He said "It was darker, and it had a label on it." Encouraged, I asked what the label said. "I don't know. I threw it out," he replied. So much for labels.

I scored a couple hands of ultra wonderful CT shade this week from FX Smith's Sons. Lookit this color:

Mouth watering. Far and away head and shoulders best looking and smelling shade I have seen. Huge, delicate, mild leaves. Great aroma reminds me of the Amish fields it came from. This is what they use for their Smithdale Shade and Tuscorora Shade. So mild it should let the full filler flavors frolic. Going to get a molar yanked today. Once it's healed, my flavor buds should be back in good order. Then I will work up a new batch using this stuff. Should be ready to smoke around Thanksgiving, and in fine working order around Christmas. Remind me to send you some.

I hate to let this tooth go. It's been a fine tooth. Boon companion. Prolly chawed through a couple herds of steak for me, not to speak of several sounders of sausage and a passel of pork roast. The corn nuts alone that this tooth has crushed would prolly stew up enough ethanol to adulterate a tank truck of gasoline.

I feel like a crippled bomber returning from a mission, jettisoning parts in hopes of remaining aloft until I reach the airfield.

Well, that's neither here nor there.

See some rolling vids at: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Nh_bRHgFFIvaAHVrAxrrw/videos

Scored another cooler. Gonna fill it up. Happy happy happy.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great videos, Davis!

I'm going to smoke two of the four you sent Friday evening, with my buddy Nathan.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a couple of picts of some of my first rolls. I am trying to rest the ones in the humidor but they taste pretty good off the rolling board. 
    I sure am learning a lot about tobacco, rolling,and blending. imageimageimage
    Those look damn good Rodger!
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @webmost I just watched your videos and I am impressed! As a newbie, the art of rolling really intrigues me!