Home Cigar 101

zederkoff vs humi-care?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got lucky.  My analog hygrometer was pretty close to accurate for several years.  No more.

Looking at some digital options, I wonder if the Zederkoff's are really worth twice the price?  What do y'all think?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the reliable one to answer this because I don't have the experience others do.

Here's my 2 cents worth though.

I got a cheap one and it performs perfectly. 0 issues and super accurate.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a zederkoff that works great but my other two cheapies from cbid work just as good. They all read the same in my whynter 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    I have a zederkoff that works great but my other two cheapies from cbid work just as good. They all read the same in my whynter 
    Yeah mine is one from cbid.

I won't go cheap on my cutters but if my digital hydrometer works it don't need a name.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good points, thanks!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time I added a really cheap (less than $15) no-name hygrometer to an order from some big-name on-line cigar store (I can't really recall which retailer) and that one turned out to be worthless. It was a flat, rectangular design that I hoped would be especially easy to fit in a small humidor. It was but, didn't work. I wish I could recall exact details but, I can't remember much about it. 

I'd say just stick with widely-used brand-name hygrometers  that are backed by some type of warranty / guarantee.  The Zederkoff looks nice and, $30 doesn't seem too high. You might be able to score a better price on a hygrometer on a bid site. 

Another option is an indoor weather thermometer/hygrometer. I have used a couple of these Acurite thermo/hygros to monitor the ambient room humidity where I keep my humidors and have used them inside my coolers too, they have turned out to be pretty accurate. They would be little bulky for a desktop but, for $9 and conveniently available at walmart it might be an option you'd consider. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914
    Went with the Humi-care.  The Zederkoff's are pretty, just wondered if the extra $ was all being spent on, well, being pretty.  If the general consensus had been "Oh yeah, that's extra money well spent", I wouldn't have minded twice the price.  We'll see how this one works out.  Put my old analog into a known 86% humidity, reads 70%, put it in a dry box, reads 69%.  This is unacceptable.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep us posted. The Humi-cares are adjustable but, if I recall correctly you gotta remember to push the little reset button right before you turn the dial to make any incremental adjustments. 
    Bob_Luken said:
    Keep us posted. The Humi-cares are adjustable but, if I recall correctly you gotta remember to push the little reset button right before you turn the dial to make any incremental adjustments. 
    That's correct. That's the ones I'm using in my boxes
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up 2 Zerks off an auction for cheap cheap  and both tested right on. I'm an auction junky. Can get some pretty sweet deals if you patient 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I missed this the last time around.  I have a Zederkoff, Xikar and a no name one.  All 3 have worked really well.  I have found though that the Zederkoff I have cannot be calibrated however every time I have checked it with a salt test it is spot on. My other 2 I check once every year and are usually close but require a minor adjustment.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    I picked up 2 Zerks off an auction for cheap cheap  and both tested right on. I'm an auction junky. Can get some pretty sweet deals if you patient 
    I know exactly what you mean! Cbid!
    How do make this text turn upside down?
    I ended up almost wishing I'd gotten the zederkoff, the humi-care's battery was dead on arrival.  Finally had to take it to the drugstore to get it replaced, because I didn't have any idea prior to this exactly how many little round batteries there are.

All is well now, though

:)

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watched zeds go for $7..almost bought a couple lol
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got two from Walmarts for about $7 each and they have worked great for two years now.