Home Non Cigar Related

Incredibly Sad

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
A few weeks ago, one of our rescue dogs, litter mates, just 4 years old, started not to eat for a day or so at a time.  Wednesday, we brought him to the vet and there was a large mass on his stomach.

They recommended an animal hospital in Cary to to an ultrasound to see excatly where the mass was.  After spending all day Thursday up there, they found it was on his right kidney and pressing against a major artery.  Firday we went up to get a CT scan to see if it was operable.  It turns out that his "good" kidney is not functioning properely, so surgery is not an option.

He is slowly starving to death and has lost 20 pounds.  We have made arrangent to put him down this morning.  We spoiled the heck out of this weekend but he was still very lethargic.  My wife and I are so sad.  We lost our youngest son 14 months ago and the dogs have been such a comfort to us.  Now we are losing one of them.

I know he's "only" an animal, but he is one of our furry children.  We are going to miss him so much and his brother will be totally lost.  They are absolutely inseparable.

Sorry for the downer, I just had to share.

Comments

• WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    That is so sad, sorry for your loss..
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 dogs and and they are kids to me.  It would be just as hard to lose one of them as 1 of my children.  

Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to hear about your loss.
    will be thinking about you, your wife, and your other pup in this tough time. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Pets aren't "only" or "Just" animals... they are family and mean a lot to people. I have lost many pets over my lifetime and it always hurts. :-( Sorry you have to go through this, my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Sorry man...very tough. We lost our dog and our cat (now petless) within 6 weeks of each other a few months back. Hang in there-time is a salve and hopefully you will get to a point where your memories of the good times with your pooch will be what comes to mind.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that's hard... don't know what to say - there are no words.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry @YankeeMan my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Pets for me have always filled some sort of hole or gap in my life. Their passing reminds us of how much we love them and their impact on us. I'm sure you are feeling the same now. 

My condolences on your loss. I know words don't change anything but I do feel that things happen for a reason and that another special person or animal will be coming into your lives. 

If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to reach out.

-James
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  Yesterday was one of the hardest days of my life.  Our other dog keeps looking around the house for his brother.  It is heartbreaking.

Your support is really comforting to my wife and I.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     My condolence's  @yankeemanI went this myself not too long ago, when I start to think about it I try to remember the joy he bought into my life.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just breaks my heart. My sincerest prayers are with you and your wife. God bless you guys. 
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences. My dog is probably on its last month or so.  Little control of her bowels anymore, very lethargic, dementia, etc.  Can't imagine having to make the decision but know I will. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. My dog is my buddy and always makes me feel better. A huge part of my life!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. I've been there and it is tough. Thinking of my hound dog as I am reading this thread and it must be getting a little dusty in here. But he still brings a smile to my face too. 
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry that this is happening.  Our dogs are our family.  It hurts when we loose one. 

My wife had to put down our beagle this fall while I was out of town.  I am still pissed at myself for not being home to say my goodbyes.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dogs enrich our lives. I to have had many dog friends over the years. When dogs cross over there is a unfilled space in our lives. Don't wait to long before rescuing another.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that! stay strong
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. Pets aren't just animals, they are part of our families. My dog and cats are some of my best friends and are always happy to see me. Don't even want to think about the day when I'll come home and they won't be here.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this Yankee!!  May your thoughts be filled with the memories of the good times. I dread the day that my pooch is not with us anymore. They are truly a family member. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!