Home Cigar 101

Newbie with under 40 sticks smoked...

I looking for a cigar/tobacco forum to call home.
I live in Northeast FL and have only smoked cigars since mid-Sept this year (2015).
I have mostly been buying samplers as I am still learning my own preferences/taste.
I have a bazillion questions, but I will just start out with one today.
Among the different cigar websites that offer 2nds or over-runs, etc I've notice that the most of the offerings are Nicaraguan cigars.  
Why is that?  
I am not ready to fill a humidor up with 2nds yet. I am thinking I like Dominican tobacco but one rarely sees them in the Clearance, 2nds, lists.
Thanks for any coaching you share here.

Comments

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. This is THE BEST forum to call home unless you are an ass in which case we will run you off. But (and this is the most important thing) we will assume you are NOT an ass.

Seriously, though, this is a great group of guys (and a gal or two). Most are pretty smart with lots of experience and collectively we can answer most of your questions.

Welcome!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome, there is a noob welcome thread. Stop in and introduce yourself. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm an ass and you guys never ran me off!

Welcome CWALDO!  How'd you find us, via the Ccom website?  You'll find that Eric is right - this is the absolute best dam place to hang around; even if it weren't for all the cigar wisdom, the atmosphere would keep me coming back.  There are ton of excellent people that call this forum home!

I'd guess that the reason you see more Nic 2nds is because there are so many more cigars coming out of that country.  It may also be that the cigar industry in the DR is more established, so the rollers are more skilled.  When the cigar boom happened it may have resulted in a disproportionate growth spurt in Nicaragua, and the quality may have suffered...  but that was a while back, so maybe not.  I'd say it's just a byproduct of how many sticks are rolled in Nicaragua.  Somebody with more knowledge will hopefully chime in.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

Yea, about that...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!

Best place on the interwebz
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.  I think starting with samplers and seconds is a great move.  Narrow down your preferences before emptying the bank account.  The Cigar of the month club is another good way to start.

Before you know it you will have a profile you like, and you can expand from there.

I still grab random samplers to make sure I'm not missing anything.
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Welcome - I bought some H. Upmann 1844 Reserve Belicoso and everyone at work thought it was an amazon smoke. If you want to do a trade 5 cigars for 5 cigars let me know, I'll send one or two of my Upmann's.
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    peter4jc said:

Yea, about that...
    well, you know, you're special, yeah, that's it...and welcome new guy!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CWOLDOJAXCWOLDOJAX Posts: 3
    Usaf06 said:
    I honestly looked for it. 
    I am a senior member in other forums and the "intro" thread are listed up on the first page of the forums. I will try again. Thanks.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will bump it
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• CWOLDOJAXCWOLDOJAX Posts: 3
    Thanks

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CWOLDOJAX said:
    Usaf06 said:
    I honestly looked for it. 
    I am a senior member in other forums and the "intro" thread are listed up on the first page of the forums. I will try again. Thanks.

lol yeah "the newbie welcoming thread" used to be stickied at the top of the general section......they "un-stickied" it recently.

and wish i had an answer to your original question, but i'd assume all factories have seconds/over-runs/house blends, it's just how they brand/market them. 

davidoff had "seconds" briefly, and sold them under the label "davidoff 3x3",
    but man idk.  that's a good question.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    There were 3x3s and 4x4s by Davidoff, they discontinued them. I grabbed some 4x4s a while back off cigar king, and they're delicious! I haven't seen 3x3s anywhere, and a google search yields some 4x4 bundles still around.

Pinar Del Rio seconds are on this site, they use mostly Dominican tobacco, and they have quite a variety of sizes...