Home Cigar 101

splitting

OK, I got some El Rey del Mundo - 
1848. I really enjoy the stick. There is one thing that I am curious about. Every stick splits in numerous locations. I've read it could be my humidor is too humid (63 - 67%), the wrapper seems thinner than most. Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this.

Best Answers

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 Answer ✓
    63-67 isn't high. I keep mine around 65-68. Is your hygrometer digital? If not you may have bad reading since the ones that come with humidors are usually S HIT
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Answers

• BroncoKingsBroncoKings Posts: 34
    It is digital. I found some mixed reviews on the intrawebs. It seems logical if it was high then the rest of my sticks would do the same. Right?
     Thank you for responding, I trust the people's opinion  on  this site ( mostly ;) )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Digital hygrometers still need to be calibrated...  the Boveda calibration kit is essentially the same as a salt test, but much more convenient and possibly more reliable.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all of them do, or even can be
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I considered I might be smoking it fast. I'll try slowing down on the next one. Thank you guys
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    I'm a novice at best but have you tried to test the firmness? I can usually tell if a cigar is dried out by squeezing it. I know my cigar mentor likes to let his cigars rest a month or two before smoking them.

I'll have to test out this cigar you make it sound so good
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
    I'm a novice at best but have you tried to test the firmness? I can usually tell if a cigar is dried out by squeezing it. I know my cigar mentor likes to let his cigars rest a month or two before smoking them.

I'll have to test out this cigar you make it sound so good
    They seem fairly firm, I did have an order where half of the sticks were soft and loose feeling, that was a sampler pack so there was a variety. The 1848's I got were in a order from my usual B&M, it only seems to be with this particular brand
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Good to know! Thanks for the follow-up ☺. 
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was even more of a newb, I set a timer on my phone to vibrate every minute.  I set the cigar down after each draw.  After the first few draws it became evident by watching the wrapper and the shape of the cherry whether or not the interval on the timer should stay at a minute or have more time added to it.

I did that for about a month until the pace of any given cigar became second nature.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    UPDATE: so I  let my 1848 sit a couple weeks after the first one split and peeled, second one is going much better. No splitting, is firm, much happier. I am also smoking slower. Thanks everyone