Home Pipes

New to pipes, can you suggest a sampler?

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Hey Fellas!  Its been a while!

My dad surprised me and bought an estate pipe, apparently he used to smoke a pipe and is interested to try it again.  We have been into cigars for a while now and I know his taste fairly well when it comes to sticks but with pipe tobacco I am totally lost.  For xmas I made him a briar pipe and one for me so to complete the gift I want to give him a sampler of tobacco but I don't know what is good.  Can you guys suggest a sampler?   He is a punch, Onyx, CAO kind of guy and has never really warmed up to DE when it comes to cigars but I don't know if that will hold true for pipe tobacco.

Thanks fellas!

Boy, the layout of the forum has changed a lot since I was last here, its going to take a while to get used to this.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Goldy.
      Haven't seen you around in a while. You should stop by more often, lots of old timers have dropped out, so it's nice to see when they make an appearance.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Goldy are you guys smoking aromatic or non aromatic?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Hey @Goldy are you guys smoking aromatic or non aromatic?

-Jay
    I think this is an important question. 

Also

Latakia?  Love it?  or Hate it!

Most folks are one or the other.

Once you've answered those two questions, you'll know what to look for in samplers.

eg; I love Latakia, therefore any sampler including say Frog Morton blends, is going to be well received.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Well I guess this is the crux of the issue.  Neither of us have ever really smoked a pipe so we are it sure what aromatics are like vs plain tobacco.  Can you recommend a few of each that I can order?  What are some good aromatics?
    edited November 2015
    Hi @Goldy

Go with aromatics. They are fantastic. 

Lane 1Q is always gonna be a beauty. Mild, flavorful, and an amazing aroma. Lane BCA is also a tasty treat, and Captian Black Dark as well.

I am still a noob to pipes, @pross just sent me some DE Grand Central. Gonna be my first Burley, IIRC.

In fact, gonna bundle up and go smoke it now.
    Post edited by jarubla on
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    edited November 2015
    Update:

The Grand Central is delicious. :)

The fire cure really shines through, and the tongue bite is simply amazing. Thank you Paul!
    Hey @Goldy what did you end up going with?