Home General Discussion

Best Cigars for a Winter Indoor Wedding

First some background info:

Venue: Indoors (IDK the name)/Has indoor cigar lounge/ Have a budget of $3000 from groom
People: between 250 and 275. most have never smoked a cigar. some are social smokers i.e. events, etc. A few everyday smokers. 1 or 2 aficionados 

I was chosen as a groomsman for a wedding in December and word got around that I smoke cigars. So they asked me to coordinate a cigar bar. I know c.com has some weddings cigars but I would like the community's input. 

What I am thinking is buy some mild cigars for the never smoked and social smokers (most will probably throw them away anyway). For the everyday smokers, maybe something better. and the aficionados could pick something from my private stash. Now I know the afics will bring their own anyway but the groom wants to wow people at his wedding.

Also how do i go about this type of separation? How do I tell the guests politely that you won't enjoy the cigar? Also I don't want to buy some truly great cigars and see them unappreciated and wasted..
How do make this text turn upside down?

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is strictly my opinion and what I would do to start, so please take it at that.  I would first find out how many out of the 250ish guests are interested in the cigar bar.  I can guarantee you not every guest will stop in, also many inlou of lighting their own might try one that another guest in enjoying.  So once I have an idea of that then it's down to the cigars.  You have a large budget so I feel you won't have any problems accommodating the different wants.  Does the groom smoke?  If so consult him on selection, if not find out where the leftovers are going.  I would make sure he is not throwing away 3k.  Just some food for thought.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    $3000? Is that just for the cigars? If so, that would make this a lot of fun!  

As Patrick said. The following is strictly my opinion. Just my rambling thoughts while high on my morning coffee.

Don't think that you have to have one for every guest. I've provided cigars (from my private stash) at a handful of events and hoped to encourage novices to join in. It always goes well but participation is usually much less than what I hope for. So, plan ahead for what will become of the likely leftovers. 

You are right to choose mild to medium and something special for the knowledgeable enthusiast. And, combine that with the need to have a good looking presentation, I'd go entirely Arturo Fuente. All the bands will have a similar look unless you get up into the Opus X categories but, even then they'd all look great side by side. Like groomsmen ;) 

I would recruit a young man or two that you know who will be at the wedding, perhaps friends/relatives in your wedding party who may show an interest in cigars. Set up a herf beforehand and educate them on cutting and lighting and the basic profiles of the cigars you'll be presenting. Talk about getting them to help bar-tending the cigar bar. That way you can tag out and you don't have to personally cigar-bar-tend the entire time. Keep it simple. I'd say no more than five choices. Or you could simply print up nice little placards to display in front of each cigar detailing it's flavor/strength profile for the guests to self-serve in case you can't have someone there full time. The problem with that is, will the guests be able to handle cutting their own? (And if there are little kids running around, ya' need to keep a close eye on those cutters.)   

What about storage beforehand. Do you have room to store "x" number of boxes? You may need to set up a cooler. (Coolidor) And, If you order these all online, shipped to you, they will likely experience a lot of temperature variations in transit. It would be best to order as far in advance as possible to allow these cigars to "rest" as long as possible after transit. And you should transport your cigars to the event inside of coolers. 

How about getting this cigar-bar catered? That way you aren't so completely tied up executing this presentation. Call a local B&M. Ask if they can provide a table set-up and a knowledgeable employee to bar-tend. Lie to them at first. Tell them your budget is half of what it actually is. Then you have room to upgrade. Also, ask them for a preview presentation to actually show you what you're going to be getting for your money. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what @Bob_Luken has written, down to the brand of cigar. Way to go Mike! Spot on!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having done a cigar bar at my wedding last year I have a couple of thoughts --

1) Some people will want to take a cigar as a "souvenir." You should be okay with that.

2) Some people will want to try a cigar which for them might be a dozen puffs before they get bored. You should be okay with that.

3) Weddings are very chaotic, with lots of visiting, lots of people bouncing around, and so forth. It's not really conducive to a "herf" as we know and love them. You should be okay with that.

4) People don't come to a wedding to get "educated" on cigars.  You should be okay with that.

5) Some people will just want to take their picture with a lit cigar, tossing it as soon as they get the picture. They also want something BIG like a Churchill. You should be okay with that.

6) Some people will smoke the first half inch of 2 or 3 cigars in a night. You guessed it., you should be okay with that.

7) Popular brands will be the most popular -- that is, while you may love a small boutique cigar if people haven't heard of it they won't try it nor appreciate it. Stick to big brands. You should be okay with this.

8) Novices will pick a cigar by the band. You should be okay with this.

Here is my advice:

Box of Padron 3000
    Box of Arturo Fuente Queen B
    Box of My Father La Duena
    Box of My Father El Centurion H2KCT
    Box of Macanudo Cafe
    Box of AJ Fernandez New World
    Box of Romeo y Julieta 1975
    Box of Alec Bradley Prensado
    A box of your favorite to pass out to people that will appreciate it.

Buy a half dozen or so $3 cutters to leave around the tables, matches or a bunch or torch lighters. A half dozen or ash trays.

Have some mints on the table so people can mask the stink in their mouths :-)

Make a "menu" that describes each cigar -- where they are from what they can expect and leave at each table in the cigar bar (you have tables, right).

Print off a few info graphics on how to cut and light a cigar.

That's all I know.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:

That's all I know.

And you should be OK with that.  :smile:

What a great post, Eric!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

Outstanding advise fellas.  I have absolutely nothing knowledgeable to add to this post........but, @peter4jc...I got your address anyway.  9505 5113 2596 5329 3895 43.  You should be okay with that.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    This is strictly my opinion and what I would do to start, so please take it at that.  I would first find out how many out of the 250ish guests are interested in the cigar bar.  I can guarantee you not every guest will stop in, also many inlou of lighting their own might try one that another guest in enjoying.  So once I have an idea of that then it's down to the cigars.  You have a large budget so I feel you won't have any problems accommodating the different wants.  Does the groom smoke?  If so consult him on selection, if not find out where the leftovers are going.  I would make sure he is not throwing away 3k.  Just some food for thought.  
    Talked to the groom, and he said, enough for everyone to have 1.5 sticks. His thinking is, and mine too, is people like to experiment and try everything. However, I did get an age list and the average age is around 30. Similar to a bell curve. Very few kids (<10) and about 20 people over 60. (Not that older people don't enjoy cigars but according to him they are early sleepers) 

Now the groom is a social smoker, only events and such. he doesn't really know the brands. just smokes whatever they give him. I haven't talked to him about leftovers though.

Bob_Luken said:
    $3000? Is that just for the cigars? If so, that would make this a lot of fun!  

As Patrick said. The following is strictly my opinion. Just my rambling thoughts while high on my morning coffee.

Don't think that you have to have one for every guest. I've provided cigars (from my private stash) at a handful of events and hoped to encourage novices to join in. It always goes well but participation is usually much less than what I hope for. So, plan ahead for what will become of the likely leftovers. 

You are right to choose mild to medium and something special for the knowledgeable enthusiast. And, combine that with the need to have a good looking presentation, I'd go entirely Arturo Fuente. All the bands will have a similar look unless you get up into the Opus X categories but, even then they'd all look great side by side. Like groomsmen ;) 

I would recruit a young man or two that you know who will be at the wedding, perhaps friends/relatives in your wedding party who may show an interest in cigars. Set up a herf beforehand and educate them on cutting and lighting and the basic profiles of the cigars you'll be presenting. Talk about getting them to help bar-tending the cigar bar. That way you can tag out and you don't have to personally cigar-bar-tend the entire time. Keep it simple. I'd say no more than five choices. Or you could simply print up nice little placards to display in front of each cigar detailing it's flavor/strength profile for the guests to self-serve in case you can't have someone there full time. The problem with that is, will the guests be able to handle cutting their own? (And if there are little kids running around, ya' need to keep a close eye on those cutters.)   

What about storage beforehand. Do you have room to store "x" number of boxes? You may need to set up a cooler. (Coolidor) And, If you order these all online, shipped to you, they will likely experience a lot of temperature variations in transit. It would be best to order as far in advance as possible to allow these cigars to "rest" as long as possible after transit. And you should transport your cigars to the event inside of coolers. 

How about getting this cigar-bar catered? That way you aren't so completely tied up executing this presentation. Call a local B&M. Ask if they can provide a table set-up and a knowledgeable employee to bar-tend. Lie to them at first. Tell them your budget is half of what it actually is. Then you have room to upgrade. Also, ask them for a preview presentation to actually show you what you're going to be getting for your money. 

Thanks for the solid advice. I do like the idea of a B&M catering. I have a shop i visit frequently That would really simplify everything! I will give them a call and see what they say.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^ This is why I love this forum. The expertise, generosity and knowledge of members is phenomenal.  
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3000 budget???
    Daaaaaamn. You can get like 48,000 Ron Mexicos
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    An update:

Called my B&M and they agreed to cater. The presentation looks impressive. They have a short summary for each stick on a business card for handing out.  They supply all the cutters/punches/ashtrays/lighters. They also will provide small snacks like chocolate and mints. 

Anyway the cigars he and I picked the the general smokers are:

-Romeo y Julieta 1975
    -Montecristo White series
    -5 vegas gold
    -Macanudo cafe
    -Perdomo Reserve Champagne
    -Gurkha Beauty
    -Oliva Connect.
    -La Perla Habana White Pearl
    -Rocky Patel Connect.
    -Gurkha Park Ave

For boxes that I will pass out personally:
    -Manowar Armada
    -Obsidian 
    -Padron 1926 40th Ann
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update:

Called my B&M and they agreed to cater. The presentation looks impressive. They have a short summary for each stick on a business card for handing out.  They supply all the cutters/punches/ashtrays/lighters. They also will provide small snacks like chocolate and mints. 

Anyway the cigars he and I picked the the general smokers are:

-Romeo y Julieta 1975
    -Montecristo White series
    -5 vegas gold
    -Macanudo cafe
    -Perdomo Reserve Champagne
    -Gurkha Beauty
    -Oliva Connect.
    -La Perla Habana White Pearl
    -Rocky Patel Connect.
    -Gurkha Park Ave

For boxes that I will pass out personally:
    -Manowar Armada
    -Obsidian 
    -Padron 1926 40th Ann
    That looks like a top-notch selection for what you have in mind.  Sorry I won't be there, but:

I'm OK with that.

;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where are you located???

for 3000 you could probably get a personal torcedor/cigar roller to show up at the wedding and roll cigars for everyone. 
    that'd be a really unique experience for the wedding party & guests. 

(and much more memorable IMO than smoking gurkhas and rocky patels, lol)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    where are you located???

for 3000 you could probably get a personal torcedor/cigar roller to show up at the wedding and roll cigars for everyone. 

Now that would be awesome. 
    jgibv said:
    where are you located???

In northeast PA, 30 min from Scranton.

A torcedor is a good idea but I think it would be a waste because only a few of us actually smoke regularly. Someone said it before...people would take a few draws and throw out the cigar....
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if it looks like you'll have Olivas, Perdomos, Armadas, or Padrons left, I could make the 3 hour jaunt to your neck of the woods!  Well done!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Got back from my B&M guy and he gave another list of medium cigars he is going to include:

Cohiba Red Dot
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway 
    Hoyo Excalibur
    La Perla Habana Black Pearl
    La Palina Classic
    La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor
    Ave Marie Immaculata

He also gave me 1 more box to personally hand out:
    God of Fire 

^ I never had God of Fire but he sent me home with one. I smoke it tomorrow and see if I want to hand it out....

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That second last is really good. The Hemingway is a great smoke for new smokers. The god of fire is an incredible smoke as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor? 

Yeah I like that one too. Smoked it at a wedding once and I was glad he put it on the list.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Palina, LADC is another good one.  That 2nd list has some great smokes in it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too true Brad
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    The God Of Fire will definitely make it an immaculate reception