Home Non Cigar Related

First time to Europe... Choices..?

BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
Never been to Europe but, I will get to go after I get my Masters in June. Time of year... Either late June or Fall. I enjoy architecture, museums, drinking, smoking and of course eating. Not sure who is cool with cigars in Europe..hmmm.
I have got it narrowed down to 3 regions/areas. Any info is appreciated or experiences.

1. Portugal and Spain

2. Italy.. Florence and Tuscanny

3. Prague/Budapest 

Best Answers

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'd like to hear @Hays chime in here - he lives in Spain (I believe) and think he's been around the continent.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    i'd choose which ever one has the nicest weather at the time! 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You didn't have it on your list, but Germany's beer is to die for.  :)

I been to Germany, England and Austria. Still really want to go to Ireland and Italy. So my vote from your list would be Italy fo sho! 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I grew up in Scotland. Been everywhere on the continent. I recommend Spain. Great history, great people, great food... it was my favorite place to visit when I left Scotland. The beaches of Barcelona are amazing and the archecture in Malaga dates back to the Romans. They have an incredible national dish  paella that differs like gumbo in the south. Spain is definantly my recomendations with Italy a close second.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    SleevePlz said:
    If you go to Italy, I would highly recommend also hitting up Rome. I loved Florence, especially all of the art, but Rome has so much architecture, history, art, the Vatican, that you just can't miss it. 
    I agree - 100%!  Our first trip was for 9 days on the ground - that left 3 each for Rome, Florence, and Venice. We loved Rome so much we stayed an extra day and had to cut it out of Florence. That was a mistake. Shoulda cut it out of Venice. 

Dont get get me wrong. Venice is fantastic but moving around town is somewhat constricting due to the canals. But Harry's Bar, which was right next door to our hotel, made up for it. 

Italy is beautiful, the food and the people are fantastic, and I highly recommend it....  B)
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    SleevePlz said:
    If you go to Italy, I would highly recommend also hitting up Rome. I loved Florence, especially all of the art, but Rome has so much architecture, history, art, the Vatican, that you just can't miss it. 
    I whole heartedly agree with this. I've been to Florence and Rome a few times each and for me it's Rome all day long. Florence is good for two or three days to me. The Uffizi 1 day and wandering the streets another couple. Rome is a week easy. St. Peter's, Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the list goes on and on. I also prefer the people of Rome a bit more. I've found the real tourist spots of Florence to have a high immigrant population that is very pushy to sell you stuff. It reminded me a bit of the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. Although there are some sketchy neighborhoods in both cities I've never felt unsafe in either place. Food can be fantastic if you find the right spot. True cappuccino and a cigar, yum! 

Prague, Budapest are on my to visit list so I can't really comment on them.

Spain is either really good or really touristy in a bad way. Madrid is so beautiful, with beautiful people. Barcelona has great food, but it is really touristy in the summer since it's a beach town. It has some beautiful spots like La Sagrada Familia, but the Rambla is overrated in my opinion. If you go to either you should try and get tickets to Real Madrid or FC Barcelona. The Spaniards take their Futbol serious and the enthusiasm is spectacular. Just wear the home teams colors and you'll have a blast. Oh and they love to eat and drink all night long! Never been to Portugal, but I'd love to visit the Algarve. 

I'm sure you'll have a blast anywhere you go it sounds like an awesome trip. 

For me Rome is one of my favorite places on earth. I'd rank it slightly ahead of Paris and London for seeing incredible architecture almost everywhere you turn. Even though I like Paris a bit more it is an amazing place. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nolagizmo said:
    I grew up in Scotland. Been everywhere on the continent. I recommend Spain. Great history, great people, great food... it was my favorite place to visit when I left Scotland. The beaches of Barcelona are amazing and the archecture in Malaga dates back to the Romans. They have an incredible national dish  paella that differs like gumbo in the south. Spain is definantly my recomendations with Italy a close second.
    I hitch-hiked through Spain in 1975, discovered Paella in Valencia and tried it everywhere I went after that.  Spent some time in Morocco, not sure what the political climate is like there, now.  Wasn't great then, Morocco declared war on Spain the day I crossed at Gibraltar. 

If you're into such things, and I am, the Del Prado Museum in Madrid is definitely worth it.  Also saw my first bidet at the hotel.  I thought it was a foot washer. :D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Answers

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Rick is a huge pot head,has a travel office in Edmonds, WA .. Love his stuff.. If I go to Budapest it might be in the beginning of November when they open their Christmas street bazaars. Always wanted to go see the frescos and churches in Italy along with St. Francis of Assissi.
    Why am I more confused as ever.. Lol... I want to go everywhere!
    My wife's been to Italy so I'm leaning toward Portugal and Spain... There's a resort we can use our timeshare points for lodging.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    My wife's been to Italy so I'm leaning toward Portugal and Spain... There's a resort we can use our timeshare points for lodging.
    Where's the resort? I've traveled the whole country. Might be able to offer some tips on places to visit.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • LeftOversLeftOvers Posts: 196 ✭✭
    tapas are best
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim you part of RCI?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    Jim you part of RCI?
    Yeah we can convert to RCI if we need hotel points