Home Ratings & Reviews

Greycliff Turbo

I'm thinking about getting a sampler, but one of the sticks is a greycliff turbo. I've never had one of these and was wondering what y'all thought of them. Let me know!

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I wish I could help you out with this one. It's one I've been wanting to try for a while now and I have been thinking about a sampler with some of them in it too. I know a lot of people here aren't fans of the brand, but I do enjoy the 1666 and have had several. I hope you get some input on this one.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Well, it's on the way, so I guess I'll let you guys know. I couldn't pass up the sampler in question, the rest of the sticks were too good to deny.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had one of these. Unfortunately it was a bit poor in construction, didn't draw well, burn well or produce ample smoke...that's the bad, and hopefully just a bum stick. The good news is that what flavor I got was really good and I'd definitely try it again in hopes of getting one with better construction.
    Well, it should be in on thursday, so I'll probly have one over the weekend. Ill let y'all know how it goes.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Smoked one of the Turbo's yesterday and like most of the Graycliff's I have tried I was not that impressed. I have only liked the Crystal.
    Smoked one of the Turbo's yesterday and like most of the Graycliff's I have tried. I was not that impressed. I have only liked the Crystal.
    double post deleted. Bite me Pheebs ! LOL
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Suprisingly, one of my favorite Graycliff's is from the "Legends Series" the purple. It is an all around great smoke for a low price.
    kaspera79:
    Suprisingly, one of my favorite Graycliff's is from the "Legends Series" the purple. It is an all around great smoke for a low price.
    That is the only Graycliff I like. I've had a lot of problems with the construction though.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Smoked one of the Turbo's yesterday and like most of the Graycliff's I have tried, I was not that impressed. I have only liked the Crystal.
    Just hit the reply once there buddy....... :::sighs:::: ;-)
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    Smoked one of the Turbo's yesterday and like most of the Graycliff's I have tried, I was not that impressed. I have only liked the Crystal.
    Just hit the reply once there buddy....... :::sighs:::: ;-)
    He's just doing things three times better than everyone else. :)
    I just lit the first of 5 turbos. The wrapper is horrible! It's cracked and peeling away already, not dry, just really loose...the cap was peeling back before I even thought about cutting it. I was actually gonna smoke a tempus this afternoon, but when I saw the damage on this stick I knew I needed to put her down quickly. Flavor so far is good. Not quite the powerhouse they claim, but it has plenty of time to develop still. Updates to follow
  • I bought a sampler of the Graycliff 1666 Pirates on a promotional offer. Graycliff cigars being considered premium, I was rather excited. My excitement lasted until I smoked one. I was sadly disappointed. Thinking it might just be a bad one, or maybe I was not ‘in the right mood’, I smoked a second (just as bad), and finally a third (still disappointed). They really don’t burn very well, you can’t smoke them past halfway without it getting hot and bitter and the flavour is, at best, mediocre.
    tiggerbear:
    I bought a sampler of the Graycliff 1666 Pirates on a promotional offer. Graycliff cigars being considered premium, I was rather excited. My excitement lasted until I smoked one. I was sadly disappointed. Thinking it might just be a bad one, or maybe I was not ‘in the right mood’, I smoked a second (just as bad), and finally a third (still disappointed). They really don’t burn very well, you can’t smoke them past halfway without it getting hot and bitter and the flavour is, at best, mediocre.
    Graycliff is a cigar that may not be appreciated by newer cigar smokers. They tend to be complex and stronger in body, or maybe, just not your preference. I don't have a ton of them but still keep a few around that I know I will enjoy some day. Hot cigars come from smoking too fast or drawing too hard, "sip" the Graycliff, you may enjoy it a bit more
  • Hi Kaspera, All the reasons you state neglect the fact that the cigar burns VERY unevenly (all three). Despite employing all the tricks to 'even' the burn, I had very little success. This makes for a difficult smoke and can contribute to the heat. I always 'sip' my cigars, and this particular cigar is about a 55 minute smoke (to the band), so you can't say I smoke too fast. My usual preference is for large ring size, stronger cigars (invaribly maduros). I have been smoking cigars for the best part of 30 years, so I don't think I fit into the 'newbie' bracket. Maybe the fact that these particular "Graycliffs" are made under licence in Honduras and not in the Bahamas (as their expensive counterparts) might have something to do with the quality? :-)
    Well bear, after thirty years, ( I'm only at 16 years ) there is nothing I can tell you that you haven't found too. And I mean that in a good way. I didn't know your experience level from this one post. I did notice that some, (many) Graycliffs do burn unevenly, but I am willing to deal with that on most cigars. The ones I have were collected three years ago so maybe things have changed since then. It's a shame with retail prices so high on this " super premium" cigar You should get a better experience. Maybe they will get better with more humidor time.
    The thick ring gauge cigars are also tough to control, since there's so much more surface area to maintain. You can get it too hot just trying not to let them go out...I like a thick cigar, but I've been going with some smaller ones sometimes lately, because they're so much easier to smoke...
    kaspera79:
    Well bear, after thirty years, ( I'm only at 16 years ) there is nothing I can tell you that you haven't found too. And I mean that in a good way. I didn't know your experience level from this one post. I did notice that some, (many) Graycliffs do burn unevenly, but I am willing to deal with that on most cigars. The ones I have were collected three years ago so maybe things have changed since then. It's a shame with retail prices so high on this " super premium" cigar You should get a better experience. Maybe they will get better with more humidor time.
    I've had exactly 3 Graycliff cigars perform decently, one being the cheapest Graycliff you can buy in the CI Purple power. From my experience with their cigars, as limited as it is, they just don't seem to be that well made, regardless of where they're made. I don't know, some people love Graycliff but I haven't had one really impress me aside from the Purple-urple.
  • Three months down the line (and another two Graycliff Pirates)... My original impression still stands... nothing to write home about. Some burn better than others, but they ALL burn unevenly. :( I have four humidors (with never less than about 150 cigars) that I check almost daily, so I can't be accused of neglecting my stock. Careful humidification made no difference, so all I can ascribe the poor burn to is poor construction. Sorry, but Graycliff has lost my vote.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I must be the odd man out... I've rarely had an issue with Graycliffs. I really enjoy the 1666 and the Turbo. The G2 has become my go-to stick for when I want a mild smoke.
  • ethodgeethodge Posts: 1

Same thing happened to me! I freaked, thinking something was wrong with my humidor and it was "crashing".  I am not as meticulous as some when it comes to taking care of "My Precious"... 

1.  Is there anything that can be done to keep this cigar intact?

2.  Are there any others that are plagued with this design flaw? 

Help us, help you...

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    I must be the odd man out... I've rarely had an issue with Graycliffs. I really enjoy the 1666 and the Turbo. The G2 has become my go-to stick for when I want a mild smoke.
    I really like the 1666 too. I bought 4 mazos and have smoked through 2 of them into the 3rd. I've had some with burn issues, but with over a year on them they mostly burn nearly perfect.