Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidorder...

So I am just curious...is there a specific way I should keep my cigars? One big pile spaced by brand??? I don't know...I have about 100 cigars now and I have two humidors. One will hold about 20 and the other 120 or 150. Should I seperate certain sticks from the others? Keep my daily smokes in the smaller??? I need help...also, I ordered one of those humicare jars, do I need to add water to it??? I have lots more questions, but these should do for now...oh, and I still don't like Graycliffs...ick... :)

Comments

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    This has been talked about before but you can basically keep them organized however you want. Just make sure you keep the flavored stuff away from the natural.

So with 2 humis, if you don't have any flavored sticks, you could use one for daily stuff and the other for aging or you could keep your average sticks in one and all your high end stuff in the other. There are countless ways you could do it.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Having 2 humidors is a great way to set up an aging and a daily smoke humi system.
    As for the rest feel free to get creative. You can arrange them any way you'd like by length, wrapper, brand... etc.
    And yes you need to add distilled water to the humi-care jar.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've never bought into the idea of separating by body, wrapper or brand. If I have several of a particular cigar and they're not in a box, I'll try and keep them together, aside from that it's a free for all. Oddly enough, I know where pretty much everything is despite the apparent disorder I keep my humidor in.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I've got one of the 7 drawer humis. I like to organize the drawers by brands and value. For instance I have a singles drawer, a high dollar drawer, and 2 or 3 5 vegas drawers. And If I get a box or a big sampler I keep those together, either in a drawer or in a smaller humidor. I can also rotate the drawers up and down if I want to keep them moving.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I've heard a few guys use a smaller humi for sticks they are about to smoke and their larger ones as the aging humi. I think the theory was that you keep the larger one closed to reduce the changes in humidity due to opening and closing the humi. I never really have a system to sort my sticks, I just try to fit as many as I can in without crowding.

To me, sorting sticks is like lighting up, everyone has a "right" way but the only guy that can tell you which one is right for you is you.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    My humidor is ordered by size. On the top shelf, I have tinned cigars and cigarillos (cigars I can smoke if I only have half an hour). Below that is a pile: churchills and toros on bottom, robustos and coronas on top.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Mine is organized by size too. And only because it's so full that I had to organize it.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    nsezell:
    I've got one of the 7 drawer humis. I like to organize the drawers by brands and value. For instance I have a singles drawer, a high dollar drawer, and 2 or 3 5 vegas drawers. And If I get a box or a big sampler I keep those together, either in a drawer or in a smaller humidor. I can also rotate the drawers up and down if I want to keep them moving.
    I'm very curious to see this humi... Do you have any pix? Or can you pm me a link to where I can check it out?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Personal choice is what it comes down to.

I have 3 humidors. A small one that only holds my Graycliffs, a medium that holds JR Alternatives or seconds/cheaper sticks, and a larger one that holds everything "name brand", or higher end cigars. The cello is off of every one of them. I do tend to put the stronger cigars on one side, lighter bodied sticks on the other side. Other than that, they are simply piled up together.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I organize by size so I can cram as many as possible into a given space. Even so, I still am constantly running out of room.
  • Options
    beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input...right now I have my everyday sticks in my small humi, and everything else in the larger. I also have a herf a dor which I may keep my daily sticks in (plan the week out in advance) and use my smaller one for the stronger flavored sticks. One more question...should I keep my cigars in the box or take them out? I am not against buying another larger humidor...Thanks again, oh and I have found a great spot for my Graycliffs...they are in the basement keeping the mice out.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    beardedcanadian:
    oh and I have found a great spot for my Graycliffs...they are in the basement keeping the mice out.

OUCHY!

My Graycliffs are shaking in their little humidor after that comment!