Home General Discussion
Options

Does this exist?

So I understand the benefit to aging cigars. I know that as a cigar ages, the flavors marry and blend and become much smoother providing a greater flavor profile. However, I unfortunatly do not think that I have the patience to wait as long as some people do to properly age their cigar. I was wondering, is there a company that you could ship your cigars to and they will age them for you and ship them back at a predetermined date? If not there should be? I fear a may never enjoy a truly aged cigar.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some lounges rent humidor space, see what you can find in your area.

If you can, try the coolerdor route, and try not to smoke em all. 

It gets easier with time to just watch the little beauties rest, I promise!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20 said:
    I felt the same way at first. Then CAS (cigar acquisition syndrome) kicked in and before I knew it, I had more cigars than we could smoke and was able to start tucking some away for aging. 
    ^This, all the way.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have CAS to where it overpowers the amount I smoke. I do aquire lots of stogies though. My current oldest stogie is from Sept 8 this year.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    You can buy pre aged, but they typically cost more and this is probably more common with cubans. 

However, sometimes you can find oldies at a B&M. Aged and ready to go!

OR you could try a "Lost and found". It's a project by Tony bellato and robert caldwell where they buy up old cigars from factories and sell them.  Some people crap on this idea and say it's a scam, but I think it's cool. And the cigars aren't really any more expensive they they were unaged (probably since you don't know exactly what you're buying). $8 to $10 for a cigar from 2006? I'd buy a couple.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    BowHunter114BowHunter114 Posts: 14
    I just built a coolidor. Got a pc fan modded and installed with some Heartfelt beads so i do plan on trying to age some. I have some Montecristo no2 and HdM epicure no 2 that i had sent from Switzerland that i really want to age. But they keep calling out to me to fire them up haha. And unfortunatly my area only has 1 true cigar B&M store and no lounge. I told my fiance i should open one
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I just built a coolidor. Got a pc fan modded and installed with some Heartfelt beads so i do plan on trying to age some. I have some Montecristo no2 and HdM epicure no 2 that i had sent from Switzerland that i really want to age. But they keep calling out to me to fire them up haha. And unfortunatly my area only has 1 true cigar B&M store and no lounge. I told my fiance i should open one
    Some fine smokes you got there! I could see the problem with aging those
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    You can buy pre aged, but they typically cost more and this is probably more common with cubans. 

However, sometimes you can find oldies at a B&M. Aged and ready to go!

OR you could try a "Lost and found". It's a project by Tony bellato and robert caldwell where they buy up old cigars from factories and sell them.  Some people crap on this idea and say it's a scam, but I think it's cool. And the cigars aren't really any more expensive they they were unaged (probably since you don't know exactly what you're buying). $8 to $10 for a cigar from 2006? I'd buy a couple.
    That's funny I just bought a ten pack of the ones called Land of Snakes that came in a wrapper that looks like a land o lakes butter wrapper. Haven't tried them yet, so I couldn't tell you if they are any good. 

I agree with Edna,  buy enough cigars and you end up aging them by default. I found stuff at the bottom of my cooler that's been there for a few years and I've totally forgot about it. Found a Partagas Serie D #4 that I think is about 5 yrs old that I'm saving for a special treat.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send to me and I will age for you.  Of course I kid, but as Kelly stated buy boxes and you will notice you have too many sticks to smoke.  Just purchasing 5ers and such will make it difficult to keep an inventory that will age.  This is unless you buy a **** tone of fivers.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, @Edna20  and @Patrickbrick have the math right.  Buy more than you smoke and soon you will have aged cigars. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Guess I'll have to start ordering samplers with lots of sticks. thanks for all the advice
  • Options
    blutattoo said:

OR you could try a "Lost and found"...
    That's funny I just bought a ten pack of the ones called Land of Snakes that came in a wrapper that looks like a land o lakes butter wrapper. Haven't tried them yet, so I couldn't tell you if they are any good. 

I just grabbed a pack of "Butter" too. Supposed to be insanely smooth.  I liked the packaging, lol!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, aging is a bit of a conundrum. There is a point where any given stick won't improve any further and may even degrade. And I would have to say that point would vary between cigars. 

Keeping that in mind, consider this scenario:  ya buy a box of, say, 20 sticks with the intent of aging. So, ya try one right off the truck in order to establish a baseline. After 6 months ya try another and note the improvement or lack thereof. After another 6 months ya try a third one. Now the remainder of the sticks have a year on them and youve got 17 left. 

Another year goes by and you have 15 sticks with 2 years on them.

Now, for the sake of conversation, let's say that this particular brand/blend of cigar is one which stops improving at 2 years of age. You don't have any way of knowing that but you still have 15 sticks that may actually start to degrade from here on out. 

See where im going with this?  

To me, if/when I want aged sticks I'll go to my source of ISOMs and order from their aging room. My experience in the past has been that the cost might be $1 or $2 more per stick but I don't have to wait on them and then try to guess when I should smoke them. 

Comments???   B)
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    To me, aging is a bit of a conundrum. There is a point where any given stick won't improve any further and may even degrade. And I would have to say that point would vary between cigars. 

Keeping that in mind, consider this scenario:  ya buy a box of, say, 20 sticks with the intent of aging. So, ya try one right off the truck in order to establish a baseline. After 6 months ya try another and note the improvement or lack thereof. After another 6 months ya try a third one. Now the remainder of the sticks have a year on them and youve got 17 left. 

Another year goes by and you have 15 sticks with 2 years on them.

Now, for the sake of conversation, let's say that this particular brand/blend of cigar is one which stops improving at 2 years of age. You don't have any way of knowing that but you still have 15 sticks that may actually start to degrade from here on out. 

See where im going with this?  

To me, if/when I want aged sticks I'll go to my source of ISOMs and order from their aging room. My experience in the past has been that the cost might be $1 or $2 more per stick but I don't have to wait on them and then try to guess when I should smoke them. 

Comments???   B)
    I have looked at few places and their aging rooms and figured I would eventually try that route. and pardon my ignorance but what does ISOM mean?
  • Options
    Island South Of Miami
  • Options
    Marty, the solution is smoke those guys up when they taste good to you! 
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gray4lines you just hit 4k post
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Hee hee!  I don't know about you, but I only smoke one at a time. Can't  smoke 'em all at once....  Some are bound to be past their prime by the time I get to 'em....  B)
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always heard that putting them back in their cellophane stops the aging. So you could just age them until you notice the peak, then wrap up the rest to halt it.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that cello has no effect on aging either way. In fact, I love seeing a good yellow/brown cello on an aged stick.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Wylaff said:
    I've always heard that putting them back in their cellophane stops the aging. So you could just age them until you notice the peak, then wrap up the rest to halt it.
    Cello is porous, moisture can escape and enter the cigar with or without it on.
    If anything, a vacuum would stop aging as there's no air.
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    Cello is porous, moisture can escape and enter the cigar with or without it on.
    If anything, a vacuum would stop aging as there's no air.
    I'm not sure that air has anything to do with the aging. The flavors, oils, etc. of one leaf touching or laying next to another seems to me to have more to do with 'aging' which is primarily a 'marrying' of the flavors, etc. of the various tobaccos used in the cigar. 

Air probably has an influence in an infusion process but that's a whole different thing...  B)
  • Options
    Yeah I would assume the air aspect mainly has to do with keeping the cigars fresh and at proper humidity
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get an order of cigars, I usually put about half in my "aging" humidor.  I rotate them around and after 6 months to a year, I put some in my smoking humidor.  I do have one cigar that I know has about 4 years on it.

I've have seen discussions and questions about this in the past and in my failing memory I seem to remember someone saying that cigars continue to age for some time, even several years.  I do know that even some of the less expensive cigars seem better with some age on them.
  • Options
    From what I've been told cigars may/will continue to age but that doesn't mean they keep getting better. Different cigars/blends will reach their optimum quality at different times and once each has reached that optimum point they'll begin to degrade. 

So sayeth those who have told me things....  :#
  • Options
    Aging never stops. And marty's right that older isn't always better (just like scotch), but it is different.  Air does have an effect (aerobic vs anerobic) like aging pipe tobacco in a sealed tin versus cigars in a humidor. I've seen some guys who age in mason jars, and would be interested in the result compared to sitting in a humidor.  

Any cigar will tend to smooth out and lose some nicotine kick. I just smoked a le pigeon (lost and found) from 2009, very smooth!!  BUT an already smooth cigar might seem flavorless after years and years of aging (I wouldn't worry about 2-5 years though as that's just getting started).
  • Options
    ClansmanClansman Posts: 5
    I'm very glad this post was available. I am just restarting my passion for great cigars. I only have one 40 count humidor so far so aging for me is limited as of right now. 
      I just this week recieved a bundle of last Perla Marado Toros. and wonder how long they should rest before finding out how amazing they can become. 
      thanks everyone for your advise on this post!