Home Non Cigar Related

Nest Thermostat

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Non Cigar Related
We close on the new house in 4 days. Have a list of priorities to get done. Though it isn't a top priority I definitely need to get a new thermostat. Old one is outdated. 

Been looking at this Nest Thermostat and the Nest Smoke/Carbon Dioxide detectors. New house is bigger and this is supposed to be a learning thermostat that helps save you money. I also like the wifi capabilities of both the thermostat and the detectors. 

Anyone have one? Any suggestions? Where could I get the best deal on one? Been searching EBay and other sites and it is just expensive and I have other things on my priority list. Want to keep my heating and cooling cost under control though so I think it would be a good investment. 

Comments

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes go nest jake!
    When I build in 3 years if no one has done better I will do nest too.

Unless I do the whole savant security and automated house thing.

Nest technology rocks!
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They control the cost pretty well on the nest. We have 2 of them and I am not exactly sold on the learning capabilities. Never seemed to work quite right although it could be the wife constantly tinkering with the temp in the house. It is nice to be able to see and adjust on your phone however. Have not gotten the amoke detector ho ever that seems like a good idea so you know what is going on when you are not there and you have an emergency. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are easy to install 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just trying to justify the cost at this point with so many things to do at the new house. Definitely on my list. Hoping to get the thermostat and maybe start with 1 wired smoked detector. I like that it also turns on a nightlight when it sense movement at night. That would be nice for the kids. 
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭

i don't have the nest, but I just installed a Honeywell wifi smart thermostat, sticking with whats been around, has the phone service, programmable, but nothing overly fancy,

I considered the nest, lyric, and ecobee, I liked the ecobee because of the room sensors, but the cost would go up depending on how many sensors.

but in the end I just kept it simple,

if you get the nest let us know how it turns out, learning and functionality

I have been looking at that same Honeywell too I think plus the others you mentioned. Wife likes what the ecobee does with the sensors. We have a basic touch screen Honeywell that has the green screen. It has always worked well. I just like the thought of possible savings on utilities going from 1400 sq ft to almost 4000 sq ft. I want the wifi access too. Going to keep researching them for a few more weeks and see if I can budget one in. The thing I like about Nest is also adding cameras and those detectors to the system. 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am starting to research this as my utility company is offering $100 cash back reward for the install of a smart thermostat.  I'm between the nest and the ecobee.  I am leaning towards the ecobee after reading reviews and the ability to add extra sensors in other rooms.  The nest would be a fine thermostat to use as well just seems the ecobee is better rated and reviewed form what I have found.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    @avengethis I am starting to look at the ecobee more myself. My wife likes those sensors. First Alert makes a detector similar to the nest detectors I have been looking at as well. Hoping I can catch the thermostat on sale or EBay deal. At this point I may sway either way depending on the price. The 3rd generation Nest is still expensive and while ecobee isn't cheap it seems you get more for the money. 
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking at all three (ecobee, Honeywell, and nest). I've seen good and bad reviews on all so I'm still up in the air. I'm interested to see which one you go with and how you like it. 
    I think after all the reviews and research I am going to go with Nest if I can find a good deal on one. Been watching on eBay. Want to get a couple of the smoke detectors too.