Home General Discussion

Drink this with that. Really!

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I am a little simple minded, ok a lot simple minded but when people tell me that I should not be drinking something with a certain food or I should drink this with that cigar, come on. I understand some people really have a good taste for things and the pairings are great for them. I am a beer and red wine guy. I smell any type of whiskey any more I want to puke. I think some people read to many articles on things and they think that is how it should be. Any thoughts on this one?

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone tell me why sometimes when I post it does it twice?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone tell me why sometimes when I post it does it twice?
    It's a conspiracy??   :p
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know why double posts keep happening. But, I can tell you that drink pairings can be tricky. What you drink while smoking can have a positive or negative effect. It can ruin a cigar. It can compliment a cigar. Now as far as everyone else's opinion on specific pairings,.......I have used some of their suggestions with great success. Some failures. Bottom line, I am the only judge for what works for me.  To me, a good cigar goes great with just water. That way I get all the flavor of the cigar, not the pairing. Oftentimes I just play it by ear. I'll light up before I decide what to drink. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The double post thing is a pain in the ass but, if you edit the second one within an hour you could ask another question Or you could tell a joke, in order to not have two identical posts. 
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't overthink it.  Personally I never think of flavors when I smoke a cigar.  I think about if I like it, if I will buy it again, and if it will improve with some age.  As far as pairings, only the obvious.  If I want to drink bourbon or something like an imperial stout or port I will usually choose a maduro or something with backbone.  If I am in the mood for an IPA or mojito, I will usually smoke a CC or mild cigar.

Then again.  If I have a cigar and drink on my mind, I enjoy it and don't worry about the pairing.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody at the Christmas party I was at last night must have read this. Yep, someone said I should have this drink with that food. gave me a good laugh. Life is pretty good!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what Bob Luken and Sherm said. There are pairings that work and some that don't for everyone. I like stouts and porters this time of year especially but in my opinion, they don't pair well with cigars. I tend to drink those in between cigars and maybe have an ale or an IPA with a cigar.  But sometimes I want a thick heavy beer and a gut punch cigar and I just do it.
    And no, I don't try to tell other people what will work. To each their own. Do what works for you.