Home Cigar 101

When you light a cigar

NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
What happens when you light a cigar? This article investigates the chemical processes, structure, and anatomy of a cigar.
https://www.comsol.com/blogs/sometimes-cigar-just-cigar/

This is a good read
"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
Tagged:

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mikie - there's some stuff in there that I've wondered about for a long time.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    That was a very interesting read! Thanks for posting it! :-)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Very informative
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gracias @Nolagizmo

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mikie
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just gave an angel his wings!!
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, what?  You guys light your cigars?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.  That explains so much.  I try to tell folks it's different from cigarettes, but this tells a lot more of the story.  I am always trying to get cigarette-smoking friends to switch, but they "can't take cigars".  I keep telling them not to inhale.  Maybe this will give me more ammo, or perhaps I shall simply cast these pearls before the .. well, you know.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.  The article explained something that I've argued about in other threads regarding tunneling. I was told by some (who will remain nameless) that my tunneling problem was probably due to smoking the cigar too fast.  I had a problem with this diagnosis since the tunneling never occurred when I was able to "attentively" smoke my cigar, but rather only when the cigar was in the background (e.g., while golfing).

From the article:

If the cigar is smoked too quickly, you’ll end up with coning, where the edges of the cigar are consumed faster than the middle. On the other hand, if the cigar is smoked too slowly, then tunneling occurs. Why? Because the middle of the cigar burns quicker between puffs due to the ambient air cooling the edges better.

Yeah, that's right dammit.

Kipling was a wise man.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, 

i smoke too too fast often and have always seen coning.  I only see tunneling on poorly constructed sticks.
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Awesome read! Thanks
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome read! Thanks
    I thought it was cool and worthy of sharing. Glad you like.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article!
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. Lots of good info B)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was great thanks for sharing your own experience with a newb. Have learned much from all the great posts here.thanks again 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    johnnyB said:
    This was great thanks for sharing your own experience with a newb. Have learned much from all the great posts here.thanks again 
    Be sure to head over to the newb introduction thread. You will be hard pressed to find a better group of knowledgeable great guys. Just be weary of the crazy ones. Lol
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad this is still enlightenment for some.