Home Cigar 101

Southport Vented Humidifier anyone ?

So my humidi stores 25 cigars and the puck is not working very well. I have a digi hygro and it seems as I soak the puck the humidity goes to 72... nice..... but then fades down after a few days. So I was wanting to take the guess work out of it and was going to try the Southport Vented Humidifier. This humidifies up to 100 cigars so I should be good right ? Also does it self regulate ? My fear is that since it will do up to 100 sticks it will over humidify ? Any feed back from you conosours would be great ! Thanks for all the help. - Brett

Comments

• I personally reccommend the CCom humidification gel. I have on in my 25ct humi and the rH is always a steady 65-70. I've had it for about a month now and I love it. takes all the guess work out of humidification.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sometimes the pucks work fine, sometimes they are troublesome. Do you use 50/50 solution with your puck? If not you may want to give it a try. Basically what it does is the propylene glycol regulates your Rh keeping it at 70%....water alone will just climb and climb since it is 100% humid with no regulation. The good thing about the 50/50 solution is that you only have to use it once every 2-3 months or so, or as often as the humidity fluctuates, because the PG stays in the foam for a while. You just fill the humidifier once with 50/50 and then use distilled only until you notice the humidity start to climb, then it's time for 50/50 again.

Basically it's a $10 expense that will probably work versus a $35 expense that will give you the same problems you're having unless you approach it differently.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I was thinking about getting the gel, however, I have one of those crystal tubes in along with the puck, Its not very good either. Its so small I can't see how it puts out enough of anything but they say its good for 25 cigars. I have not had much luck with the two of them. I reseasoned my humi on Monday and it seems to be steady at 71 % for now. I was going to get the 50/50 when I ordered the southport but maybe I'll just get the solution and see if that helps the little puck out before I spend the extra money. I was also wondering with reseasoning, is it something I may need to do a few times or the first time I wipe it down let it sit for a few days and that should be it ? I know a few people say to use a shot glass but same question, would I have to do this a few times ? I have been fighting this since I got the humi in October. It stayed steady for a while then it seems as the cold weather hit it was down to the 60 % in a day. Who knew it would be this in depth..... I'm having fun doing it though
    As far as re-seasoning goes, unless your humidity really dropped a lot, like in the low 50% area, I don't think you'd need that. The cold is going to screw with the RH regardless of what you do, the best thing would be to move your humidor to somewhere that is close to the desired temp, maybe a closet, or just away from any doors or windows.
    ok I moved it aways from the windows and put it up a little higher. ( it is a little chilly in the room they are in ) I am going to grab some 50/50 and give it a try
    Hope it works out for you. I know how much it sucks trying to get a humidor stable sometimes...it seems like I've been battling constantly with mine, but now that they're loaded with a ton of beads things are holding pretty good.
    Whats a good site to get the beads from ? I have my humidor on display and I really dont want a bunch of beads and crystal tubes and pucks in there. I think it looks tacky. Thats why I was gonna get the south port and put some 50/50 on it and soak it so I would have one big humidifier and thats it... I was also looking at these humidifiers, LA VEIL DCH-200 HUMIDIFIER, anyone heard or tried this ? I like the idea because there is no cord.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Boo winter. :( Joe's got some good advice for you. Also - don't be concerned with your rH getting to 65%. There are guys who deliberately keep their rH there (like me) so you shouldn't worry. It's when it drops below 62% that I start to mess with things.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    The Cank:
    Whats a good site to get the beads from ? I have my humidor on display and I really dont want a bunch of beads and crystal tubes and pucks in there. I think it looks tacky. Thats why I was gonna get the south port and put some 50/50 on it and soak it so I would have one big humidifier and thats it... I was also looking at these humidifiers, LA VEIL DCH-200 HUMIDIFIER, anyone heard or tried this ? I like the idea because there is no cord.
    I get my beads from Heartfelt Industries. just do a search for it and you will find the site. They are a little bit pricey but they are worth the money. They sell tubes and rectangular humidifiers as well as mesh bags. They don't look too bad in a humidor. I have a few tubes and I put some beads in the rectangular humidifiers that cane with my humidor. It looks alright, nothing to be ashamed of that's for sure.
    Alright enough complaining from me, Im going to get a bag of beads and unless it dips below 65 I won't worry too much... I hate being new at something but like I said I am having fun learning. Thanks guys for the quick response... I love this site !
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I noticed my temp and humidity starting to drop a few weeks back. I don't keep the house too warm as it's just me and the dog. The warmest area happens to be my walk in closet as there is a vent in there. I moved the humidors into that area last night and it looks like I'm sitting pretty.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    The Cank:
    What I do in my humis is take out the grean foam from your hydro and replace with a mesh bag of beads. For extra I will take an old aluminum tubo and poke a bunch of holes in it with a safety pin and fill that with beads. I have them placed in the bottom part of the humi. My humidity stays consistent and it looks good.