Home General Discussion
Options

Herf a dor question

cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
I received 2 herf a dors for Christmas, and was online to see what to do to charge them for humidity. Most said if the cigars were properly humidified before putting them in, no charging required if only there for a few days to a week. Question answered! However, I kept reading, and found some posts about off flavors from the divider foam. Not sure if my mind was working too much, but all of a sudden, I tasted an off flavor! Anyone here have any issues? Thanks!
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two 5 count and one two count herf a dors and I have never had a problem with a taste or smell from the foam.  The five counts come with a small humidifier that you can spray with distilled water if they are going to be in there for a while.
  • Options
    @YankeeMan Thanks! Probably in my head from reading too much!
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 15 count and have never had an issue with weird flavors. I usually toss in a boveda if they will be in there for more than a couple days or if ilk be in some really high it low humidity area.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Thanks Brad! @avengethis  I tried another this morning, and no problems! Like I said, probably in my mind from reading about it online!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charlie, I have two 15 count ones that act as my herf storage cases. I usually never empty them after a get together so some cigars are in them for months. I have never added any additional humidty nor have I tasted any odd flavors; no one has said the cigars are dry or had an unusual flavor when I've given cigars away out of them. In fact, just recently I smoked two cigars from them that were in them for approximately 8 months and they smoked like a dream.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I haven't noticed any off smells or taste, I have a 15 ct and removed the extra foam 'trays' so all that's left is the bottom piece. I found that the foam disk is too much for a 'sealed environment' these thing seal really well and will maintain whatever humidity the cigars are, at least until you open it! Sometimes I will add one of the small Boveda packs. 
  • Options
    OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was not an issue with the smaller 5 or 10 count boxes However was clearly noticeable with the 40 count that was gifted to me. I washed it out and let it air dry for a few days. I also left that one open for about a month to fully clear. All is good now.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 5, 10, and 40 count.  Love them all.  I did notice some odd smell at first but just left them open for a few days after I got them. 

When I travel I often throw in a bovada  pack but I don't think it's necessary.  
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."