Home Ratings & Reviews

'Complex' cigars

bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
Lets begin with an acknowledgent that there appears to be no single, all inclusive definition of what is word means, let alone how one experiences it, nor if everyone would even if smoking the same cigar.  However what seems to be somewhat accepted, are that it includes concepts as vague as 'evolution', 'flavour changes', 'mellows', 'layering and harmonizing of flavours and aromas', ' changing characteristics', etc.  

Needless to say, I don't intend to begin, nor have the 'hey, let's define what a complex cigar is' discussion in is thread, rather I am interested in cigars that YOU feel are complex.  From my experiences, defining the word is truly challenging, however I also believe that when you "experience" a complex cigar, you will know it.   Therefore, the logical part of my brain tries to say "don't overanalyse it, just enjoy it...for if it's truly complex..that moment you just enjoyed is likely gone...forever."

Now, onto he analytical side of this thread.  I am interested in hearing your thoughts on what you feel are complex cigars, along with any comments on the uniqueness of that experience, or even the complex flavour you experienced for that fleeting moment.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, let's read what you have to share.  

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without committing to a specific cigar at this moment, I'll have to say that I tend to think "complex" when smoking a figurado, of whatever blend.

Oh, and hi, haven't seen your posts for awhile!  Nice to have your input, as always. :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    usually the most complexity I get is defeat mixed with shame... but that's probably me projecting
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most recent one that I have had that I really had to sit and deliberate on as I smoked it was the new sobremesa. I really enjoyed it
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your strategy here.  I usually don't over-analyze cigars or try to determine flavors, but I have had a few which made me stop and think about the flavors.

1. Opus.  I pick up all kinds of flavors and spices from a well aged opus
    2. Viaje Leaded.  Really noticeable flavor changes for me.  Love them
    3. CAO Amazon Basin.  Really different.  You smoke to figure out what the hell it is 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an Illusione Rothchild last week that kept my rapt attention for the full hour and a half. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I had a Rocky Patel Decade that had some age on it this Summer. This cigar kept changing and kept me interested the whole way through. I feel the changing aromas and flavors (which were all pleasant) were what made it complex. The fact that I could notice the changes was appealing in itself. Thats why this cigar was "Complex" to me.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us what you really think, Barry.  :smile: 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's as simple as fleeting moments of flavor. I'd more describe complexity as interplay of flavors that meld well and may come and go several times over the course of a cigar session. Yes, sometimes a particular olfactory sense is stimulated that may cause only a short burst/sensation but many times a range of flavors will mingle and overlay/underlay in different perceptible taste/smell profiles. Many things can affect these perceptions from smell memories to taste buds being affected by previous cigars/food/drinks ect. Even environmental factors and the company we partake with can affect our perceptions. 

There are a lot of memorable ones for me so the list would be too long. That said, some other times I don't notice all the complexities (particularity on subsequent cigars when the palate is a bit beat up) as much but do discern a overall pleasurable profile (aka: just plain good rich tasting smoke) and that works for me also. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar! 

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's as simple as fleeting moments of flavor. I'd more describe complexity as interplay of flavors that meld well and may come and go several times over the course of a cigar session. Yes, sometimes a particular olfactory sense is stimulated that may cause only a short burst/sensation but many times a range of flavors will mingle and overlay/underlay in different perceptible taste/smell profiles. Many things can affect these perceptions from smell memories to taste buds being affected by previous cigars/food/drinks ect. Even environmental factors and the company we partake with can affect our perceptions. 

There are a lot of memorable ones for me so the list would be too long. That said, some other times I don't notice all the complexities (particularity on subsequent cigars when the palate is a bit beat up) as much but do discern a overall pleasurable profile (aka: just plain good rich tasting smoke) and that works for me also. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar! 

Well put.  I've been thinking about this question, and having a hard time expressing what I'm trying to say.  I don't think I could have articulated any better than this.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Greybeard137Greybeard137 Posts: 15
    I shouId be brutally honest and say that I find that the complexity of my cigar is in direct proportion to how many drinks (cocktails) I have had before or while smoking it, but that is not always entirely true. A cigar that I consider complex is the one that I am burning my fingers because I have smoked it to the nub and want to immediately go get another and smoke again.  As I sit and contemplate that cigar (while wanting another), the flavors and consistencies (or lack thereof) in that particular vitola are what I'm thinking about.  If I'm thinking good things about the cigar at the end it was what I would consider complex.  I'm going to stop now, because this is a very meandering response and all I want to do now is go sit and have a good cigar and I can't.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the things I find is cigars tend to be more complex, the more I give them my attention. 
    If I am busy doing something or concentrating on something other than the cigar, they tend to be more one dimensional.

My beloved cameroons show more complexity when I am able to ait down and just enjoy them. But the sweet cedary flavor is all I get when I'm working on something else.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.