Home Non Cigar Related

Paid adoption leave

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
My wife and I are planning on adopting a little boy, and we start parenting classes this month. 
I was wondering if any of you have heard of an insurance company paying leave for adopting parents? 
One God, One Truth

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great thing you guys are doing. Good luck.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No help here. Just wanting to say congrats and it's an awesome thing you are doing. People on this forum are top shelf amazing.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... Just checked Aflac and no luck there. If I find one I'll PM you
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    My company just rolled that out this year.  We have Blue Cross/BlueShield. Think it pays up to 6000 to assist in the adoption fees, and also receive time paid for travel, court, or whatever is needed during the process....up to a certain amount of time like the FMLA process only being an Adotion Assistance Leave.

To my knowledge it is more of a company incentive though, not the insurance company itself. 

Congrats on the adoption, and best of luck! Hope this helps. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Your in for quite a process, but everyone I know who has gone through it says it is worth every second.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news!! Good luck in the future Dane & Mrs. Dane!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks yall. I have a call into BC/BS. 
    Love ya. 
    One God, One Truth
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not aware of any paid leave programs, but that's a great idea.

When we adopted our youngest, 14 years ago, we were pleased to find out that there is an adoption credit for tax purposes. We were able to write off adoption expenses over a number of years, which was cool. We didn't know anything about it before we adopted.

All the best to you and the wife and your soon-to-be new family!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have your Human Resources department check into the Family Leave Act.  I know it gives time off, I don't know if includes pay.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    Have your Human Resources department check into the Family Leave Act.  I know it gives time off, I don't know if includes pay.
    Yes that is what I would do. The company I work for might be the only one that offers to pay to help in this situation.  It just started this year for us...