Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidity at 7000ft altitude in Abha, Saudi Arabia

cllrycllry Posts: 2
I just set up a new humidor to put my new order from Cigar.com.  The humidor was holding at 70% before I put the cigars in and it drops with in a day to 60%.  I have re-seasoned and it still will not hold.  Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it time. Those cigars are pulling moisture out of the wood causing it to drop. It will take time to stabilize. You can add a shot glass of distilled water to help the recovery. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly what Brad said. They should be happy very soon
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the altitude having anything to do with the humidity. Seems to me that humidity can (and most likely does) vary up there just as it varies anywhere else. But what Brad said is valid. I use a small glass custard cup with about 1/4 inch of water in it - but it works. 
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

Im kinda curious as to how humidity is at different elevations. I would assume it would change due to the density of the air....but that's just a thought.

Sometimes cigars are like fish... takes a bit for the new additions to acclimate and get all happy in its environment. What kind of humidor do you have? Is it all wood or is there a glass window?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    cllrycllry Posts: 2
    Ok thank you guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a digital hygrometer! The one that comes with the humidor is crap no matter where you bought it from! The one analog hygrometer I have reads up to 20% off off what the digital does. I've argued with guys that said well I got mine from holts...it doesn't matter analog is always a tricky one and digital is just better
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a digital hygrometer! The one that comes with the humidor is crap no matter where you bought it from! The one analog hygrometer I have reads up to 20% off off what the digital does. I've argued with guys that said well I got mine from holts...it doesn't matter analog is always a tricky one and digital is just better
    And if you want a good laugh, Google the internal workings of an analog hygrometer. If I remember correctly, what was originally used to cause the needle to move was a hair from a horse's tail. I've also read where blond human hairs have been used. Really scientific and accurate, right???   B)
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blond hair, that's scary!