Home Cigar 101

Choosing repeats

HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
My starter pack has me very infatuated with all things cigar! I'm very much enjoying some of the selection but others don't do much for me.  I have been doing some research and have seen repeatedly the suggestion that you smoke multiple of the same cigars in variety of conditions (time of day/ shape/ aged/ etc).  What do you consider in deciding to give a cigar a second chance (and try another as above) or simply Move On? The factors I am currently using to "weed out" options are lack of flavor and inconsistent burn.

Also, I keep smoking outside while I'm doing chores and two times I've have the cigar burn out. Both relights (within 10 mins) were bitter. One was a really long casa magna that corrected, the other couldn't be saved.  Tips?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should probably sit somewhere and try the cigar before relegating it to "yard-gar" status. Things like what you where drinking with it, what you last ate, and how many other cigars you've had that day make a huge difference with the flavor. What you are doing at the time can affect the burn. Doing yardwork you are probably not being too gentle or considerate with the cigar, so you may have extra wrapper issues. Did you purge before you relit? That would account for a lot of bitterness no matter what the cigar.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
    ive had 6 of 8 burn with no issues despite being smoke while multitasking. The ones that burnt out or had issues were uneven burners from early on. I will continue to be mindful of being gentle. If you mean purge like blow out thru it then yes. The relight where I had better luck I re-toasted it before lighting so maybe the warming helped. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me if I like it I will try another, if I do not like it I move on.  There are too many different cigars out there to dwell on one that, maybe under different circumstances taste better.  Again this is strictly speaking for myself; if however I feel the stick is just a little young, then I will let one rest and try again in several months.

Also many uneven burns can be corrected simply by turning the cigar.  

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually prefer a short smoke (an hourish) and prefer a smaller ring. I usually look for between 40 to 50 ring and 5 to 6in length. You cannot always go by Churchill, toro,Corona etc as dimensions change between cigars. 

I prefer to pay attention to what others are smoking and buy 5 packs. Unless a cigar is totally horrid I want to smoke at least 2 to see if I like it. This also gives you a couple to let sit to see if they get better with some age 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Relighting can be pretty nasty! I learned a trick which is to toast the crap out of the foot so you don't need to light and puff to get it lit. This works wonders and it's almost like it never went out 
    Money can't buy taste
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relighting can be pretty nasty! I learned a trick which is to toast the crap out of the foot so you don't need to light and puff to get it lit. This works wonders and it's almost like it never went out 
    I admit it... I relight.... I do what @Lee.mcglynn said and I cut the burn off as though I'm lighting fresh. I won't complain although I don't know better. When I do smoke a cigar in more than 1 session the second session is spicey
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I always try a cigar at least twice before I consider writing it off, just in case the first bad experience was a fluke or unsatisfying due to some other factor. If after two tries I still don't like it I will either give it one more shot or put them aside. This works better when you buy 5ers of something. One of the many benefits of being a known member of this forum is that when you have a handful of cigars that aren't to your liking simply put up a trade post and trade them to someone who likes them or wants to try them in exchange for something you like or want to try. Buying cigars as a trusted member of Ccom is basically risk free and you meet great BOTL along the way!

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some cigars do better with relights than others. I do a lot of relighting on the boat. Your fuller bodied cigars I think tend to be the more bitter on relights. And after 3 on one cigar your almost guaranteed a harsh bitter smoke no matter what precautions you take. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This advice is right on the money. I tap off all the loose ash and use a single or double jet flame to toast the foot until it is ready to smoke. I do not puff while using the lighter on the cigar. This method seems to keep that re-light harshness to a minimum.. 
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Unless I buy a fiver or tenner, I almost never give a cigar I don't like a second chances. The flavor profiles of cigars I like fall into a very narrow band, and anything that doesn't fit there doesn't get a second chance. I smoke so few cigars (generally not more than 2-3 a week) that I don't want to waste my time giving dogs another chance.