Home General Discussion

Xikar EX able to be a carry on for a plane?

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
FAA regulations say you can carry on 1 bic or non torch lighter.  Would the EX be allowed?  
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butane is probably the issue
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butane is ok.  You need to buy a special case to have a lighter in your checked bags but you can carry on a non torch lighter according to what I am reading.  I can go the route of a bic on my cruise if I have to but would prefer to have one of my nicer lighters along.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your packing a suitcase put it in there. That's what I did
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

From what I am reading having a lighter in your checked bag is a no no.  So much conflicting info though.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took my butane torch with me to Virginia in my checked liggage and it was fine. I had the little card in there saying they manually inspected my bag but the torch and butane were still in the bag.
    Yeah well I'm not going to risk my torch lighter being possibly taken.  Its a pricey one.  I would just like to have the EX

Team O'Donnell FTW!

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drain it and mail it over
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I'm only in miami for like 14 hours.  too hard to try and time that right.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not risk losing it.  I usually throw a Bic in my carry on.  I have never had an issue, but if they do you only lost a Bic
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a torch in my travel humi in checked bag before and they leave it after searching everytime.  I only get them taken when I tried carry on.  Not sure why the torch lighters are a no no, but they are.  I carry matches now.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you stated earlier, so much conflicting info. I have looked around a few different sites and it seems TSA just doesn't enforce it consistently. Better safe than sorry.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Thought about this a lot before. It is technically a torch when it's turned up and has enough fuel, but if you turn it down a tad it's just soft flame. However, I don't trust the TSA to accept that description and like my EX way too much to risk it. I say no go.