Home Cigar 101

humidity and temperature

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, so my large cooladore is in the basement where the winter temps range from the mid-40s to mid-50s. Should I try for ~68 rh or would a lower rh be preferable?

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68-70 rh definitley 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    ^ +1

Seems like you've got the right idea @silvermouse
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information and reassurance, I'd like the temps to be higher but that's what I got. 68-70 it is.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stick with 69 temp/rh that way either way I look at the gauge I can read it.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    That works
  • rodcrodc Posts: 2
    So if I have five packs of cigars that are now double wrapped is it still ok to store them like that in my humidor, will the humidity still get through both wraps of cellophane?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cello won't impede the humidity. I leave the cellos on mine because it helps protect the sticks from handling, etc. Plastic is another matter, altogether. Don't leave them in plastic. 

The cello won't block moisture and it isn't any protection from beetles. They can get right through it. The best protection from beetles is to keep your temp below 70 degrees. Above that temp, any beetles you may have can leave dormancy and go looking for a mate. That's not good. 

And since this this is your first post, I suggest you find the welcoming thread for newcomers and introduce yourself. There are many great members here and you can learn a lot and make some great friends. 

So, welcome, friend. Hope you stick around...  B)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the lower temps will do is slow down the aging process. But it would take someone a heck of a lot smarter than I to tell you by how much.