Home Cigar 101

Smoking inside the house?

DarwinDarwin Posts: 3
I've only recently become interested in cigars. I've had a few in college, bachelor parties, etc. My experiences have been some good, some were bad; the bad ones were likely cheap or poorly stored cigars. Anyway, I've ordered a few 5-packs of cigars I think I might like. Then I realized that it's the middle of winter here in PA and while I don't want to saturate my house with lingering cigar smoke, I also would rather not have to smoke them outside in the evening having to bundle up in below-freezing temps. How bad does cigar smoke penetrate furniture (sofas, etc.)? Who here smokes inside their house and if so is there something you do during/after smoking to de-funk the room?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do all the time, but my family loves the smell.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • DarwinDarwin Posts: 3
    Oh, if it makes a difference, I'm moving into a log cabin, so it has pretty bad insulation, I use a wood-burning stove for heat and oil burning furnace for backup. Theres no carpet all hardwood floors.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya Ya rub it in.. You just pretty much described my dream home.. 

Welcome to the forum
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fabrics and carpets that hold the smell the most.  Hardwood floors and leather furniture will minimize it, but curtains/drapes are in most rooms.

A negative ion/ozone generator will help if you run that for a few hours after your smoking session is over.

All of that is dependent on how much smoke you can remove during the cigar.  Brad has a nice fan that fits in his window, one of those with two fans that people use in summer to either bring cool air in or draw stale air out, and that would be worth checking into.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • DarwinDarwin Posts: 3
    kswildcat said:

Welcome to the forum
    Thanks! If it makes you feel any better, I don't own it, my employer does :)
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darwin said:
    kswildcat said:

Welcome to the forum
    Thanks! If it makes you feel any better, I don't own it, my employer does :)
    If he has another cabin and some day needs another guy that's good at sitting around doing nothing all day you can inform him you know just the guy lol
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every winter I staple up plastic sheeting around my back porch and set up my space heater. As long as it isn't bitterly cold it does ok. Though sometimes I just sit right over the heater. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After smoking in my studio I burn sage in a hand sized soapstone vessel. Any Native American craft supply business sells sage as it is used in ceremony. Sage smells a lot better than stale tobacco.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a basement?  A man-town/smoking lounge in the basement is always a viable option.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.