Home Cigar 101

Nubs

HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
didnt see much when I searched about nubs...

im realizing the experienced people here are spot on and there are quite a few cigars that change flavor/ body as they smoke, which btw is pretty cool. I read that nubs came to be as a way to capture the "sweet spot" in a cigar.

I want to try nubs as an experience but also as a nice time saver when I can't give a longer smoke the respect of going thru different flavor changes.

What are pros/ cons of nubs? What is estimated smoking time? What is a good sampler/ beginner selection?

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them. They smoke for a surprisingly long time, however. So if you are looking for a quick smoke you may want to go with some of the larger cigarillos or a petit corona.

The Nub Cameroon, the Maduro and the Habano are quite tasty.
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree w/ Jay...  they're good smokes, but not as short timewise as you'd suspect.  But some of that is an individual's pace.  I have some 4 x 44 RyJ's that go for an hour if I'm reading a good book, and have seen a brother on Vherf @Wylaff go through a Toro in less time than that.  Some of it will also depend on how far down to the nub you smoke; if you stop with an inch to go, obviously a Nub will last less because it started with less.

As an aside, as much as I enjoy Nubs, I don't buy into their marketing of making the cigar with only the sweet spot.  That's a bunch of hooey.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes indeed, the "sweet spot" pitch is just a clever advertising "lie". However, I have enjoyed the nubs. They are well constructed and tasty. A sampler would be a good idea. 

Try the 

NUB Top-Ten Sampler

http://www.cigar.com/search/?q=%22NUB+Top-Ten+Sampler%22

• HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Thanks across the board.

for "cigarillos or a petit corona" are the complexities/ quality the same as normal size ones? I think cigarillo and I immediately think swisher sweet.

Suggestions in that realm? I'm happy to try anything including very full body to about medium body sticks. Spice doesn't bother me but I am really enjoying the sweet/ smooth/ creamy variety of full sizers...
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less binder and file end less complexity, but a lot more wrapper flavor
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dig the nubs when I take a "15" break and return over an hour later. I show them the cigar before I walk out and the silly bosses believe me.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably get some boo's about this, but I absolutely love the 5Vega Classic corona. And I felt the aged fantastically. 
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    If smoked "attentively," a Nub lasts me about 45 minutes. I'm a fan, particularly of the Cameroon.  Superbly constructed.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    I'll probably get some boo's about this, but I absolutely love the 5Vega Classic corona. And I felt the aged fantastically. 
    I like them too! I wait until I see them on sprint sale!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been able to 'buy into' that sweet-spot hype. I guess I'm just too much of a tightwad to pay full price for half a cigar.  :#
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    I've never been able to 'buy into' that sweet-spot hype. I guess I'm just too much of a tightwad to pay full price for half a cigar.  :#
    Lol. I know what you mean. But the seconds are a good price. 
  • wheel366wheel366 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    Check out:  ~$3.50/ea.  Get one of the reps to match it.  I'm sure they will.  I'm not a fan of the Habano.  The 4x66 Cammy is my favorite.  The Nub Dub is my second.  Not a huge connie fan but I do like the nubs.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/98437/the-nub-erlode-sampler-ii/#p-188191
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I have only had the Acid C-Notes for Cigarillos and if you like floral's, then you will probably like those. They are actually pretty good.

Haven't had any of the Nubs though.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    For a short smoke, I have tried a few of the cigar illogical sizes and I think the AF Cubanitos, Montecristo Memories, and the Padron Corticos are all good. They will never replace the fullness of their big Brothers, but they are pretty good when you are looking for a 15 minute break. Oh, and the Punch Bolos are good too.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Spell check check! I meant Cigarillos!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the La Palina El Diario KB for a shorter smoke, but be warned it packs a bit of a punch.

I've also enjoyed the Chateau Fuente.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a brick of cohiba clubs for a short smoke and find them delightful!
    Money can't buy taste
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the first things that I've learned in the cigar world is that there is no such thing as a quick smoke:) I enjoy my cigars while sitting on my deck and enjoying the evening with my wife and a glass of scotch, and I love that my enjoyment lasts over an hour:)
    +1.  That's exactly how I enjoy my cigars.  My blood pressure has dropped 20 points since I have been doing that.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of us don't have time for that.
    That cigar must be finished in 30 minutes.
    We need it done, right now. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.