Home Cigar 101

Re-Seasoning

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Cigar 101
Okay, I had a seasoned humidor before. Held well at 66%, but within the last 4-5 months I have been without cigars other than picking 1 or 2 up from a local store and either smoking them within the day or giving them to other people to try. So I haven't had to hold anything in the Humi.

Some of you may have seen I got a box of Chillin' Moose for Xmas and I got the humi all set back up and noticed after 24 hours that I'm not getting above 50%. So I put in a half glass of distilled water (in like a whiskey glass), to see if I could get a raise out of it. Still holding at 50%. I know my meter is good, I had a heads up I was going to be getting cigars and made sure I'd get an accurate read out of it with the salt test.

So, what I want to know is if I need to go back through the seasoning process. A simple yes will suffice on that side. If no, I'd like a suggestion or explanation on what I could do to raise it into the 60-65% range.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you using for humidification?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Yes, most likely you need to re-season it.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    A jar of Humicare beads, but I've known the strange one for a while so I'm just gonna re-season.

Thanks buddy, been a while huh?
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reseason then if that doesn't work. Check seals
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup! Reseason
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisius said:
    Wylaff said:
    A jar of Humicare beads, but I've known the strange one for a while so I'm just gonna re-season.

Thanks buddy, been a while huh?

Yeah, it has. It's good to here from you Dane, hope your holidays are fantastic!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much need to reseason at least once a year anyway. Probably more often if it's been less than half full for a while. 
    Rhamlin said:
    Pretty much need to reseason at least once a year anyway. Probably more often if it's been less than half full for a while. 
    I have an addictive personality and turn just about everything I do up to 11. The only way any Humi will be half full for me is because I've died before all the cigars I've paid for have arrived.

I went through the box I got at the beginning of December by the end of January. 20 cigars in a month. After I let them rest for 2 weeks since they were pretty dried out when they arrived.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Crisius said:
    Rhamlin said:
    I have an addictive personality and turn just about everything I do up to 11. The only way any Humi will be half full for me is because I've died before all the cigars I've paid for have arrived.

I went through the box I got at the beginning of December by the end of January. 20 cigars in a month. After I let them rest for 2 weeks since they were pretty dried out when they arrived.
    Umm maybe I read it wrong but you stated you get a couple cord at a time and smoke them?!?! So how is your humi that full?!?! What kind of hygrometer are you using and what do you use as humidification
    Money can't buy taste
    I don't. It's not that full. They revived in 2 weeks, my humi is empty. It was meant as the only way my humi will ever be half full is because I've died while I had some on order. I just have an normal hygrometer and I use the blue humicare beads. After reseasoning with the 20 cigars in there I got it to hold at 65% for me. Though I did put a small glass of distilled water in there as well to help bring the moisture up since the cigars had none really.
    Crisius said:
    I don't. It's not that full. They revived in 2 weeks, my humi is empty. It was meant as the only way my humi will ever be half full is because I've died while I had some on order. I just have an normal hygrometer and I use the blue humicare beads. After reseasoning with the 20 cigars in there I got it to hold at 65% for me. Though I did put a small glass of distilled water in there as well to help bring the moisture up since the cigars had none really.
    I'm with ya on the inability to age because I smoke to fast. Maybe trade some good new stogies to these guys that know how to age. I have learned much as a young grasshopper. I also have debts to pay for my lessons. Fun future cigar bombs.
    My inexpensive brand I buy in bulk is MoW. I grab as many Tatuaje as I can afford on my budget and dabble in the warped and viaje. I buy auctions to try... and learn... and trade to get taught what's good. These bunch of guys are Frick in amazing as a colective professor. Can't wait till I'm qualified to teach the teachers. Till then it's bombs and lessons and vherf and questions and sorry for all the texts to learn. Nick especially. I text him questions way too much. But he let's me know when I'm way off track where as others just say try it.

Crisius, get you some 5ers and start some trades. Get to know some of these botl. They are insane, hilarious, cool, fun loving, and knowledgeable. It's worth your time. Hell you might make a few friends you won't be mad at seeing without notice. 

Glad you joined... time to mingle.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    I mingled a lot last year when I first got the Humi as a gift with 30 cigars and then got bombed 3 ways to next year. Found a lot to like, got some I didn't. Got a lot of debt to pay off but right now my budget is in the negatives.

I know quite a few of the guys on here, but I have a hard time getting on. I'd love to talk more about cigars with everyone but I can't stand being on something when I can't afford the luxury of it, I'm also not the type to ask for cigars or request them. I already have like 50-60 cigars to pay off from last year that I kept record for, so I've just kinda disappeared for now. But I network where I can, gonna be in Cali later this year if things play out right and have a small possibility of meeting a couple of the guys down there.

Would love to get back to Texas, a couple of my favorite guys are there, like @onestrangeone , he's definitely on my list of people to see when I get the chance.
    Bombs are gifts. Nothing kills a friendship faster than feeling like you need to repay every gift. Spend time with us. Give gifts to those you think of when you can, but don't EVER feel guilty because you can't repay a gift.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    Bombs are gifts. Nothing kills a friendship faster than feeling like you need to repay every gift. Spend time with us. Give gifts to those you think of when you can, but don't EVER feel guilty because you can't repay a gift.
    You are right. You don't repay a gift. But a decent man does feel the urge to repay the favor. I appreciate more than anything what I was gifted, but that doesn't mean I don't feel like I owe someone something. I get gifts from my parents still, and I gift to them in return, not necessarily because I "owe" them but because I feel the urge to repay the favor.
    Not arguing that, but if you stop visiting your parents because you don't have a gift for them, you've missed the entire point.

I was simply responding to you saying you disappeared because you could not repay what you felt you owed.

Rhamlin said:
    It's hard not to feel guilty. I know better than anyone. If you can repay or pass it forward that's awesome. If not, well hard times are a biotch and everyone knows it. The main thing is to pass on your knowledge to those just starting out and making them feel welcomed to this thing of ours. IMHO
    Words so truly spoken... I can relate.
    Rhamlin said:
    It's hard not to feel guilty. I know better than anyone. If you can repay or pass it forward that's awesome. If not, well hard times are a biotch and everyone knows it. The main thing is to pass on your knowledge to those just starting out and making them feel welcomed to this thing of ours. IMHO
    Hard times are a biotch. And most people know it, doesn't mean you don't feel guilty. I feel especially guilty around Xmas. I had people drop 3-400 bucks on me a piece this last year. I enjoyed it, but at the same time it's like, "Come on now, I can't even come close to this." Mind you it's people I help out with labor or other things through out the year, but that's different. :P

Wylaff said:
    Not arguing that, but if you stop visiting your parents because you don't have a gift for them, you've missed the entire point.

I was simply responding to you saying you disappeared because you could not repay what you felt you owed.

I don't like people to see me while I'm struggling. So I go some place else entirely. I have no issue with anyone sending me things, just that while I both enjoy and appreciate it, it makes me uncomfortable.

My addy got out and 1 person told me they were sending something. I got 6 or 7 boxes. When I was only expecting one. I have to mentally prepare for it. And as someone who was very very new to the world of cigars, and these forums, I was blown away. It was almost too much to handle. I actually felt like I had to stick around, check things out daily, talk, be active. I know it was meant as a generosity, but it made me feel chained to this place and the people here. Mind you, I hold no ill-will about it. I watched for months without saying anything. Learning, seeing that it wasn't some random occurrence, that it happens to a lot of people when they first show up. Which is why I'm on here at all.