Home Non Cigar Related

Charlie's miscellany

CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Non Cigar Related
I've been thinking about starting my own thread for a while now. It will mainly just be random articles or photos that I found interesting or amusing. And links to The Chive. 

http://thechive.com/2016/01/16/from-asia-with-love-x-photos/
Post edited by CharlieHeis on

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KCCO
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a southerner, half by background and half by choice, but I grew up in many places including Chicago, New York, Alaska, Germany.  If it weren't so deadly, it's hilarious to watch cities like Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham when a little snow hits.  They absolutely lose their minds when they try to drive.

Many decades ago, I moved to Nashville from Ansbach Germany.  As winter approached, I bought studded snow tires for my '64 Chevy, and put all our summer clothes in the trunk.  Everyone laughed.  I'd mostly spent summers in the south prior to that. 

A couple months later, when 8 - 12 inches of snow hit, I arrived at work to find myself the only one there.  After awhile my boss showed up in his 4x4 truck, sent me home.  Probably could have traded that Chevy for a dozen Cadillac's and Mercedes Benz that were off in the ditch. 

Who's laughing now?  Southerners don't understand that driving in the snow isn't like mudding, pushing the gas pedal all the way down won't get you out of a jam.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All that may be true, but there's no driver so dangerous as some rural out of stater comes to SoCal and tries to do 55 on the freeway. Nor no road so dangerous as a SoCal freeway with eight years of unabated oil deposit when it finally decides to rain a sprinkle. 

Here in Dull-Aware, for some reason, it's the rain. Which we get all the time, so I don't understand why. Snow, they slow their roll and take it easy. But, soon as it rains, everyone's brain cells appear to dissolve. You get left laners turning right and right laners merging left over your head and bumper huggers and such.

Black ice is a bidge.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had two inches of snow yesterday and every school was closed continued news all morning and I am sure the grocery store was cleaned out all for two inches of snow. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grew up in Detroit where freezing rain and way too much snow are fairly common. That's also where I learned to drive. No big deal. 

Fast forward about 20 years and switch locations to the Seattle area. Everyone jokes about the rain there but it really isn't so bad. Just let about 1/2" of snow fall out of the heavens, though, and everyone shifts immediately into panic mode. Schools close, people stay home from work, only absolutely critical emergency personnel can be expected to show up - it's positively hilarious. 

Dont get get me wrong - I love the Seattle area. It rarely ever snows because of the warm Japanese current that flows across the pacific, but on that rare occasion when it does snow a little those wusses go totally bonkers....
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't get snow in New Orleans. Let it fall 5 degrees below freezing and everything closes. Literally everything. It's hard to find fast food open. I grew up in Scotland and learned to drive there. Moved to Dallas when I came state side. Then to Los Angeles... both no snow or hardly ever. Now in New Orleans I have not seen a flurry here in over 20 years. I'm moving to the middle of the country in 4 years so I can actually see 4 seasons till then I have summer and January and February.
    Those that get it hate it it, but I miss snow.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooooooo is this a weather or hot Asian chicks thread?  confused
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate being in any state during rain or snow. If I'm in the south and there is snow and ice I just park if at all possible. Cannot count how many times people have lost control right in front of me. 

Trucking companies are getting horrid bad putting anyone with a heartbeat behind the wheel. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea.
    We apologize for the interruption, and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....Take it away Charlie

Weather always changes, but hot Asian chicks are always...well, you know, hot!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    €^ that's some funny fecal matter right there!
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    FFM (funny fecal matter) that should be its own thread nice @Dark_Roast

The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a transplanted Yankee.  We kid the southerners about stopping everything for two snowflakes.  Of course they bust our chops about a notherner is a hurricane!
    YankeeMan said:
    I'm a transplanted Yankee.  We kid the southerners about stopping everything for two snowflakes.  Of course they bust our chops about a notherner is a hurricane!
    I'd rather go through a blizzard than a hurricane. Blizzards don't result in massive property loss like a hurricane. Stay home for a day and everyone digs themselves out. Doesn't even last a day in most cases. Getting 2+ feet of snow at once would be the exception to this, as I'm sure many rural people will be stuck at home for several days. 
    Just so this doesn't turn into a weather thread.

http://thechive.com/2016/01/23/shes-got-legs-for-days-35-photos-7/
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back on track at last!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much winning in the link
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    @CharlieHeis is SD like NE sometime i feel like its colder in the western part of NE i was just in Grand Island  which is only an hour and some change west of Lincoln i felt so cold the entire time i was there, i believe it was warmer than Lincoln also?
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
    @CharlieHeis is SD like NE sometime i feel like its colder in the western part of NE i was just in Grand Island  which is only an hour and some change west of Lincoln i felt so cold the entire time i was there, i believe it was warmer than Lincoln also?
    Not sure about the temp, but the western part of SD gets a lot more snow. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And back to the weather.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody loves star wars
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    combo
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Yes DZR, Yanet Garcia is fine.
    A friend posted one on fb a while back of the Packer cheerleaders that was much worse than that, @Usaf06