Home Cigar 101

Over aging?

WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
Hey guys! I know I haven't been on the forum for way too long.  This may be a dumb question as I've been too far removed from the cigar world, but can you OVER age a cigar?  Is there certain types that don't do well under a long aging process?

Hope all is doing well! Good to see some "long timers" still active! 

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand Ligas don't like to rest a while. Smoke those and don't age them
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on taste for most sticks.  People will react differently according to each personal preference; however the short answer is yes.  Cigars will hit a peak.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it will depend on how good your cigar palate is, and whether you're familiar with a given cigar at 6mos., 1 year, 5 years, etc.

In my world, as a coffee roaster, I get to have the coffee the day it's roasted, and every subsequent day out of the roaster so I can follow the flavors as they peak on the third day, plateau for several days, and then begin a slow taper in taste.  There's a definite curve in the graph.  But...  if I give that coffee to someone at two weeks, who doesn't know the coffee and hasn't developed their palate, they'll say it's great.

In my cigar world, I don't know that I'd know when a given cigar has jumped the shark.  I discern a marked improvement in just about everything at a year (I've only been burning sticks for 18mos.), but I believe I'll still enjoy that same stick at 3 years even if it's started losing some nuance.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you back. :) It just so happens I smoked a Brazlia tonight that I believe I've held onto for longer than I should have. It wasn't bad but, it wasn't as flavorful as I've come to expect. Then again, I also believe that my palate changes from time to time and day to day. So I can't be certain of the exact reason for my experience tonight but, my short answer to your question is yes. But, so much depends on the blend of the cigar to begin with. Most makers expect you to enjoy them as sold. But some cigars are better after a year or so. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigars are like people no one ages the same...but welcome back!! Nice to see you around and hope everything is good with you
    Money can't buy taste
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I agree about cigars hitting a peak, but properly stored they're good for many many years.  Just remember that the 10 year old cigar will be quite different from the 6 month old cigar it once was. 

Oh, and nice to have you back!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I started a thread ("Too much Age?") a while back. I firmly believe some blends can become "Flavorless" with too much age. (Of course this assumes they have been properly maintained).
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely. but like it's already been stated, it depends on the cigar especially the strength of it since all cigars get weaker with age fuller cigars tend to age better. and also how it was kept. A cigar kept at 60 degrees will age slower than one at 70. 
  • Mad_OsheaMad_Oshea Posts: 6
    As sad as it to say, Almost all comercial stick producers add flavor and junk addatives to give the same tast. All-- "ALL" tobacco gets better with age! However the crap in the sticks, do not... The only way to keep out of the "OLD" vs new- is you- pay the piper. Grow and roll, or pay top a knotch price for a real stick.   So  Yes the store sticks will get old and nasty. Mad-
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Mad_Oshea said:
    As sad as it to say, Almost all comercial stick producers add flavor and junk addatives to give the same tast. All-- "ALL" tobacco gets better with age! However the crap in the sticks, do not... The only way to keep out of the "OLD" vs new- is you- pay the piper. Grow and roll, or pay top a knotch price for a real stick.   So  Yes the store sticks will get old and nasty. Mad-
    Well......that's not entirely acurate.
    There are so many variables to that question, that saying ALL tobacco gets better with age is not accurate at all.

And what are you referring to as "store sticks"? Machine mades?

To be honest, I have no idea what you are getting at. She is referring to handmades and pretty sure she has premiums. At least I know the ones I gave her were.  ;)

Which reminds me @WhoDeyGal if you see marine, tell him I miss our chats and it is great to see you posting.

Back on topic.
    I've had some Partagas 150s (my example, because the age of them is known) that some smoked great and others, not so much. You could tell that some of them, the dlavor just dropped off.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @0patience, I've had one of your Party 150s and I agree. It was still good, but I have to imagine it would have been absolutely amazing with closer to 10 years on it instead of 20. Speaking of NC Partagas, let me take another opportunity to share my affinity for a blender that is sorely overlooked in this era of boutique cigars. If you like Cameroon wrappers, obviously smoke some Fuentes, but then check out some of the work Benji Menendez has done with it. The 150 gets a ton of acclaim, but he has blended several Cameroon wrapped cigars that are just delicious.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SleevePlz
    I totally agree about 
    Benji Menendez. 
    The Partagas 
    Benji Menendez Master is one to try.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.