Home Cigar 101

New-Bee Humi question

Here’s the deal.  Just received my first order from Ccom, actually my first ever.  Currently I'm in Iraq, I have one 10 & one 5 stick cigar caddy (black airtight cases).  I bought these thinking they would be alright to store my cigars.  Going through the forums I found advice as to how those are not good for long-term storage.  So is this a true statement?  Should I use a Tupperware with water pillows instead?  Should I break down and just order a real humidor?  Any advice would be great.  Thanks in advance.  This site wonderful, keep up the good work.

Adam

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    First off, Adam. Thank you for your service. Second, cigar caddies are good for a week or two at the most. Unfortunately, a humidor is a necessity in Iraq. And I would recommend keeping your humidity at at least 75%, given the hot dry climate. Also, use a digital hygrometer. Analog ones are just for show.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    First off, Adam. Thank you for your service. Second, cigar caddies are good for a week or two at the most. Unfortunately, a humidor is a necessity in Iraq. And I would recommend keeping your humidity at at least 75%, given the hot dry climate. Also, use a digital hygrometer. Analog ones are just for show.
    I speak from personal experience on this one. I am in Afghanistan right now and I have a 15 cigar caddy. The only real difference with a humidor and a caddy is the humidor is cedar lined and the caddy is not. The caddy will hold the humidity VERY well, too well sometimes actualy. The problem with the caddy is that it is so small that when you open it pretty much all your humidified air escapes. You can def. make a caddy work for you, but it will be a pain in the @$$ pretty much. A digital hygrometer is a good idea, they are easy and you def. need to watch your humidity in this part of the world as it is VERY dry (you already knew that though!). No matter where you are in the world, and no matter the climate the magic numbers for your humidity and temperature will be in the 65-70% range. anything out of this range and you will start to see problems. I stick to 70% rh and 70 degrees, but never higher!

As far as getting a humidor versus keeping your caddy: I suggest getting a humidor if you plan to smoke more than just once in a while when the rest of the guys have a cigar. I actualy have three humidors here with me now, although one is staying with a few gift sticks in it for the guys replacing me. I have enough time to enjoy a cigar or two a day, and I would have a few when the weather was nicer. I'm kind of a whimp when it comes to cold, well I guess I just don't like having cold hands while I smoke. But I suggest getting a humidor, even if it is just a small inexpensive one that you can just leave there when you leave. Send me a PM and I will get you a link to a couple good sites to get humidors from if you are interested. I hope I answered your question with my terribly long winded response! Stay safe brother!
  • A big thanks for the timely and great info.  I guess it’s settled, a humidor is in my very near future.  I'll start doing some research.  Are all humidors created equal?  I'm looking for something portable, no glass, inexpensive; and I’ll be leaving it behind.  Thats the rule right, leave the place better than when you arrived?  Well thanks again...I'm sure more questions will be posted when I get the humidor. 

Adam

yosysfire:

A big thanks for the timely and great info.  I guess it’s settled, a humidor is in my very near future.  I'll start doing some research.  Are all humidors created equal?  I'm looking for something portable, no glass, inexpensive; and I’ll be leaving it behind.  Thats the rule right, leave the place better than when you arrived?  Well thanks again...I'm sure more questions will be posted when I get the humidor. 

Adam

All humidors are NOT created equal. The website I use sells good stuff, and the price is as good as you will find on the internet. PM me if you want the site. They have some "imperfect" humidors, the only thing wrong with them is they have some cosmetic damage to the exterior, nothing that will effect the seal or anything. If you are leaving it there I would suggest getting one of those, they are usualy about 15-20% cheaper than the "perfect" ones. Make sure that you use distilled water to charge the humidifier to avoid mold buildup. I would make it easier on yourself and get some humidity beads as well. I will include the website for some great beads if you would like as well. Just let me know if you need that info.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Thank you for your service. If you are looking for something robust and not too expensive, what about making a coolidor? They work just fine and would seem to be everything you are looking for.
    One2gofst:
    Thank you for your service. If you are looking for something robust and not too expensive, what about making a coolidor? They work just fine and would seem to be everything you are looking for.
    This is some great advice! It's cheap and easy. I bought a nice cooler from Wal-mart that I am going to use for boxes when I get home. You might want to try that out.