Home General Discussion

cigar of the month humidor?

before i think about trying the cigar of the month club i thought i would ask what u guys thought of the free humidor with the 12 month purchase. has anyone gone for this deal? whats it like? any info is helpful. thanks, hoagy

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    hoagy:
    before i think about trying the cigar of the month club i thought i would ask what u guys thought of the free humidor with the 12 month purchase. has anyone gone for this deal? whats it like? any info is helpful. thanks, hoagy
    Well, When I first got here I signed up for four months just to see what the selections would be like without the year long prepay. I will continue the membership because I enjoy the new selections and the variety each month.. i didn't need a humidor when I got here but since then I filled all my boxes up. Thanks to the many reviews I read here.. If you need a humidor go bigger.. I've read it here too many times because it is true...
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    So I have related COTMC question - I got the first shipment, the Gurkhas...how is it after that? Is there any kind of rhyme or reason to the sticks they send in subsequent months?
    Luko:
    So I have related COTMC question - I got the first shipment, the Gurkhas...how is it after that? Is there any kind of rhyme or reason to the sticks they send in subsequent months?
    I enjoy the surprise of it all. Trying new sticks that I may never have chosen otherwise.. The next month was new releases, very happy. the following month was cigars from Esteli Nicaragua. Have not tried them but they are ones I look forward to. There is a theme like Wrapper or Label or Size.. But you won't know till you do know. you know ?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Luko:

The Ghurka's are super awesome! Then after that they have "themes" like the last one was "Esteli Favorites" which picks cigars made in Esteli, Nicaragua and the samples so far are WELL worth the price you pay for them
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    I enjoy the surprise of it all. Trying new sticks that I may never have chosen otherwise.. The next month was new releases, very happy. the following month was cigars from Esteli Nicaragua. Have not tried them but they are ones I look forward to. There is a theme like Wrapper or Label or Size.. But you won't know till you do know. you know ?
    That sounds like what I'm looking for, just try a bunch of different stuff to see what I like. So far I think I tend to prefer medium and full. In addition to COTM, I'm going to order a bunch of samplers.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Don't forget to order a HUGE humidor. Whatever your original thought, order something at least 5 times the size.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Luko:
    That sounds like what I'm looking for, just try a bunch of different stuff to see what I like. So far I think I tend to prefer medium and full.
    That's what I tend to like, too, but don't entirely overlook the milder smokes. There are some excellent cigars on that side of medium, and you'd be missing out if you didn't at least try them.
    vankleekkw:
    Don't forget to order a HUGE humidor. Whatever your original thought, order something at least 5 times the size.
    Too late on that, i think i have 75 capacity and am already regretting it. I guess I'll read up on a tuppodor.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    vankleekkw:
    Actually, just don't even bother buying a humidor, you won't get one big enough. just go to walmart and drop $75 on a 150 quart cooler, that ought to hold all the cigars you want. Seriously though, a cooler is a great alternative and also less expensive.... of course a big, white cooler doesn't make much of a showpiece for your friends.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    .... of course a big, white cooler doesn't make much of a showpiece for your friends.
    I wont ever use a cooler for just this reason. not tupperware either. Plus these alternatives are so cheap that if i started to use them i would never stop buying cigars. I regulate how much i buy through my storage space. if i cant fit em in the humi, i dont buy em.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ok to answer the first question, I'm not sure about the quality of that humidor but I'm with everyone else you'll likely want something bigger.

Ok answering the second question, Yes there is a rhyme or reason to every COTMC but it is something different every month, last month was Esteli favorites, only cigars from Esteli, Nicaragua. Other months have been new offerings at cigar.com, or one month was a the NUb sampler, it varies.

Finally while everyone is right about going bigger is better keep one thing in mind. If you are using passive humidification(beads, sponge, etc) you need to stick to the 2/3 rule. You humidor should always be around 2/3 full our it will have a hard time maintaining proper RH. So if you run out and buy a cooler and only have 25 sticks, you're going to have issues. On the same note if you have a humidor you can barely get closed you'll have issues there too. NOW, if you're using an active system, i.e. the Cigar Oasis, all of this goes out the window.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    You really do want to go bigger in terms of buying a humidor. I have a 50 ct desktop that is full. I also have a cabinet that holds 200ct in the drawer that is also full. And the cabinet itself can hold 15-20 boxex which is also full. The problem is this the capacity rating you get on the humidors be it desktop or cabinet is somewhat misleading. A 50ct desktop will actually hold maybe 30 to 40 depending on size of the cigars. The same with the rating on cabinets box sizes differ. I keep 30 in the desktop, 100 fit snug in the cabinet and only 9 boxes in the cabinet.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    dep691:
    You really do want to go bigger in terms of buying a humidor. I have a 50 ct desktop that is full. I also have a cabinet that holds 200ct in the drawer that is also full. And the cabinet itself can hold 15-20 boxex which is also full. The problem is this the capacity rating you get on the humidors be it desktop or cabinet is somewhat misleading. A 50ct desktop will actually hold maybe 30 to 40 depending on size of the cigars. The same with the rating on cabinets box sizes differ. I keep 30 in the desktop, 100 fit snug in the cabinet and only 9 boxes in the cabinet.
    I'd say you will do yourself a favor and go bigger, I had to control myself this month so I can empty a tuperdor.....temptation is to often to great
    madurofan:
    If you are using passive humidification(beads, sponge, etc) you need to stick to the 2/3 rule. You humidor should always be around 2/3 full our it will have a hard time maintaining proper RH.
    i can only pseak for myself... but i have not had this issue. i think its because i use about 2 times as many beads as the heartfelt site reccomends. for instance, i have about 1lb in my 150 ct humidor. its in custom made boxes so it actuialy doesnt take up that much room. My RH is constant at 65% no matter how full it is. ( i dont know what an empty humidor looks like so i dont know how well it holds when its empty. )
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    If you are using passive humidification(beads, sponge, etc) you need to stick to the 2/3 rule. You humidor should always be around 2/3 full our it will have a hard time maintaining proper RH.
    i can only pseak for myself... but i have not had this issue. i think its because i use about 2 times as many beads as the heartfelt site reccomends. for instance, i have about 1lb in my 150 ct humidor. its in custom made boxes so it actuialy doesnt take up that much room. My RH is constant at 65% no matter how full it is. ( i dont know what an empty humidor looks like so i dont know how well it holds when its empty. )
    You can make up for a too full humidor by doing what you've done but if its not full enough you are going to have major problems with overhumidification. However a not full enough humi is easy to fix :).
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    You can make up for a too full humidor by doing what you've done but if its not full enough you are going to have major problems with overhumidification. However a not full enough humi is easy to fix :).
    im not sure it would overhumidify. if the beads are in there and they are supposed to keep 65% RH. as long as agout 60-70% of the beads are charged shouldnt the uncharged percentage suck up any extra humidity. I mean, isnt that how the beads work?

granted, gigars are hygoscopic and help, in a way, maintain humidity; i dont feel however that taking away this element is a problem for something that is designed to hold a specific RH.

from heartfelt
    Heartfelt Industries:
    Humidification beads give off water vapor, as well as absorb it, to maintain a specific RH which is ideal for a cigars particular need. This is not the case with silica gel which can only absorb water then must be dried out after it is saturated. By nature silica gel is not meant to control humidity, only lower it. Humidification beads are the premier product for precise control in terms of performance, cost effectiveness, and simplicity.
    yes they are passive, but they are less passive than the foam. they act more like boveda packs.

less passive = more agressive. still not agressive... passive agressive?
    You may have a point with the beads, but I still wouldn't recommend it.
    madurofan:
    id never reccomend an empty humidor either.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    HA! Neither does Svenson.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    HA! Neither does Svenson.
    im glad hes around to help with that department.
  • shehanshehan Posts: 10
    you get what you pay for........
    shehan:
    you get what you pay for........
    i kinda disagree.

i had a 5 vegas humidor that i got FREE with box purchase at another site (sorry alex). the humidor was good. held about 14 or so toros. my only complaint was that it was too small.

usually the "you get what you pay for" statement is true. I find that in the world of cigars it isnt.

... just look at the 5 vegas line of cigars.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    usually the "you get what you pay for" statement is true. I find that in the world of cigars it isnt.

or the Onyx.. or the Flor de Oliva... or the cigar.com house blends... or the Macanudo... or the Gurkha Beauty...
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

or the Onyx.. or the Flor de Oliva... or the cigar.com house blends... or the Macanudo... or the Gurkha Beauty...
    hey joe which way do you go on the Beauty, not worth the price ?
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I actually threw that in there to get people riled up... but I don't care for many cigars in a Connecticut wrapper... especially with that kinda price tag... It's an easy smoke for a behemoth Gurkha, but it just didn't do it for me. (to clarify, I think Macanudos are overpriced pieces of junk.. you can get the same smoke for 1-2 bucks).

I suppose $15 is my price limit for a cigar.. I haven't tried the crazy ultra-premiums (OpusX, GoF, etc), but I am generally not blown away by pricier cigars. They are consistently a good smoke, but a little digging will find you gems for a third of the cost.
    dutyje:
    I actually threw that in there to get people riled up... but I don't care for many cigars in a Connecticut wrapper... especially with that kinda price tag... It's an easy smoke for a behemoth Gurkha, but it just didn't do it for me.
    Yeah, the biggest cigars in my humidors are the ones with the most age on them, I mostly go for the robusto, and toros. I enjoy a cigar nearly every day but after an hour on one I have had about enough. Sometimes I will have two but with several hours in between to give my tastebuds a break..
    dutyje:
    I suppose $15 is my price limit for a cigar.. I haven't tried the crazy ultra-premiums (OpusX, GoF, etc), but I am generally not blown away by pricier cigars.
    OpusX is worth the retail price, not the markup that they get post retail. the OpusX perfection No4 was the best cigar i have ever had. Ive had other OpusXs but that size was in my opinion the best. I have a GoF but i cant speak on if its worth it. never tried one.
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:
    I suppose $15 is my price limit for a cigar.. I haven't tried the crazy ultra-premiums (OpusX, GoF, etc), but I am generally not blown away by pricier cigars.
    OpusX is worth the retail price, not the markup that they get post retail. the OpusX perfection No4 was the best cigar i have ever had. Ive had other OpusXs but that size was in my opinion the best. I have a GoF but i cant speak on if its worth it. never tried one.
    I would hate to drop 25 bucks or more on a cigar and spend the whole time thinking " I could have had five " ******. " ( whatever you really enjoy ) There comes a point when you can only get so much out of a cigar, and price is never a true benchmark of how much you will enjoy a cigar.. Nearly all cigars that gave me the most enjoyment are 5-7 bucks , some less. Some of the biggest dissapointments are cigars that I got for over 40 bucks ( cuban ) Now I have also had some great expensive cigars but could never make them a regular in my humidor. I too am slow to spend a high price for one cigar at the risk of a costly let down.. because in reality we all have money to burn, how much is up to us.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Kaspera, may I ask what Cuban cigar cost you 40.00? Thats alot of money!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I paid 26 for a Padron 1926 but thats the highest I've gone for a good smoke. I'd pay that again to try a Hemmingway I think. I need to look around at my local B&M's cause I'm sure I can find one much cheaper than that.