Home Cigar 101

Misc new humidor questions

ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello folks, I'm not-so-patiently awaiting my humidor and cigars' arrival today and want to ask some questions of you guys.   I bought a 125ct humidor (pic below) and a large bunch of el-cheapos to fill it.  After reading the thread on seasoning a humidor I still have a couple noob questions.  
Will the pair of 2oz gel jars ordered with it be enough for a full humidor (online calculator says 3oz)?
Some of the cigars I ordered are flavored.  Will the flavoring alter the non-flavored ones if they're all touching but wrapped in cellophane?
With so many going into this thing, what would be the best way to keep the humidity up, with the jars or with a handful of the silica-filled tubes?
Is it going to give me problems having this thing almost completely full for a while?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Best Answers

Answers

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a cooler.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like KL because I have room, but for a desktop, Bovedas are the winner because they take up so little room.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    kswildcat said:
    Full humi is what you want. Much harder to keep rh stable the less full it is.
    Will have to pass this advice along the the Mrs.  "See honey, I need to keep filling it up."

Cigars and humidor just arrived.  It looks very nice.  The cheapo sticks?  Dry as a bone.  lol.   I have a feeling they are going to suck up a lot of moisture.  

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take your time seasoning that humi.. very important step.

Would also suggest purchase of a digital hygrometer and check it for accuracy so you know how accurate the built in hygrometer is... Will not be a waste of money because you will not only need 1 for your infused stash but you will most likely out grow your desktop quickly.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    New sticks dry as a bone? Are you sure? Even a properly humidified cigar will still make a little bit of crackling sounds if you hold it up to your ear and gently roll it between your thumb and fingers. If they came from c.com or any reputable distributor, they should come to you in properly humidified condition.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have a couple infused, and I just keep them in a bag with a boveda.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Have another digital on back order, should be here by mid-march.  Cigars seemed to be the driest I've ever bought, anyway.  The macanudo knockoffs (not sure which manufacturer) were hard as a rock.  Will have to buy a draw-poker to get through these.  On the plus side, the Mrs says the knock-offs smell like the real thing, just need to make them draw a bit better.  

The humidor seems really well made and is in the process of absorbing humidity from the damp sponges.  There seems to be plenty of room inside for keeping different smokes separate.  I tossed the green styrofoam inside the included humidifier.  Do you think the thing will work with KL in it?

The green foam thingy would be OK to use for a few months if needed. The longer you use it the more likely it could mold. Just dont over-saturate it. The BEST option is Boveda packets. Worry free and idiot-proof. And you can use them along side other humidifiers. KL is an OK option. Test it's humidity with a hygrometer in a separate container before you spritz any distilled water on it. Go slow and get your RH where you want it before you introduce it. Must be 100% silica. No other substances like clay litter or any other stuff. Also be certain it isn't scented. Wet small spoonful and sniff to be certain because some don't advertise as scented but they might release scent when wet. Exqisicat unscented is good. Also Walmart's Mimi is good. And remember To confirm (salt test or boveda test) the accuracy of your hygrometers. Boveda is best option. I said that already but it's true.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Just take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy your new humidor and sticks. Take your time to take it all in and savour the moment.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    Have another digital on back order, should be here by mid-march.  Cigars seemed to be the driest I've ever bought, anyway.  The macanudo knockoffs (not sure which manufacturer) were hard as a rock.  Will have to buy a draw-poker to get through these.  On the plus side, the Mrs says the knock-offs smell like the real thing, just need to make them draw a bit better.  

The humidor seems really well made and is in the process of absorbing humidity from the damp sponges.  There seems to be plenty of room inside for keeping different smokes separate.  I tossed the green styrofoam inside the included humidifier.  Do you think the thing will work with KL in it?

I have filled a few of these with KL, you have to use some sort of screening. one of these is not enough by itself, I used to keep one of the round humidifiers with the jell with one of the rectangles filled with KL and it worked okay. Now I use the boveda  in that size humidor (much easier) I use the KL for the coolers and tubs.
    The humidor with the wet sponges sat at 69% (untested meter) for a couple days, on the 3rd day I pulled the sponges and it stayed at 68% for the whole day.  4th day, added the plastic humidifier filled with moistened Mimi KL and a Macanudo Estate Reserve coffin I drilled a bunch of holes in (also filled with Mimi KL).  Seems to be staying at 68%, now mostly full of cigars.  :)

edited March 2016
    Bob_Luken answered my question but his post seems to have disappeared.  I may have clicked the "NO" button my mistake, would this delete his post?

Anyway, a 2nd digital is in the mail and I'll test them both when it comes in on monday.  The humidor is in a cool dark area so hopefully it'll remain constant in the summer as well.

When you clikc yes it moves the post to the top of the thread. Gets a little confusing.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    edited March 2016
     i got a notification that my answer was picked so I went to re-read the thread. I got lost too. Yeah, I wish having the answer picked would not move the answer. Because, my actual answer that was picked this time was particular to one of Shawn's follow-up posts so moving it to the top  under the original post makes no sense in this case.   That's actually not needed.(New feature of the new forum setup.)    And anybody reading it is reading it out of order unless they decipher the dates of each post. 

I think you should just un-pick all the ones you picked as answers. LOL then all the posts would be in order. Next time just classify a question as a regular post. Nobody cares about getting their post picked as best answer or winning badges. Do they? Haha? Do they????
    I do...

edited March 2016

Wylaff said:
    I do...Wylaff said:
    Wylaff said:
    I do...
    Wylaff said:
    I do...
    Wylaff said:
    I do...
    Wylaff said:
    I do...
    Wylaff said:
    I do...
    Shut up already!! Your low post count makes me not care about your opinion anyway!
    They'se quality posts though...

Wylaff said:
    They'se quality posts though...
    https://youtu.be/EOH4gB15qYI
    Bob_Luken  that explains a lot.  Thanks. If i can unpick 'em I will.  
     Did this answer the question?  YES, YES, it did.  lol.