Home Cigar 101
Options

DIY Infusion???

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
I love bourbon and cigars. I have had a few "infused" cigars and enjoyed them. So I have to ask the question...Can already made cigars become infused?
I'm thinking that I could buy a bundle of seconds, toss some into a mason jar with a humi pillow soaked in some bourbon/distilled water, close it up, put it in the basment and just let it go. Maybe open it once a month or so to let some air exchange.
Any problems with this? Is it even feasable??

Comments

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking if you put some sticks in a Tupperware along with a shot glass of bourbon it may work..
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know quite a few people who put cognac in little spray bottles and spritz their cigars when they purchase them. It does add a decent flavor to yard-gars.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuck! Yer mixin stuff that was meant to be enjoyed at the same time but,.. separately. What's yer rush? ;) You asked,.. so I told ya.
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    I know quite a few people who put cognac in little spray bottles and spritz their cigars when they purchase them. It does add a decent flavor to yard-gars.
    I don't know that I want to directly add the whiskey to the tobacco. In my mind, if they are in the same container, the cigars will pick up some of the nuances and flavors. Like then tobacco is stored/aged in used bourbon barrels. I have had one that was aged in a Blanton's barrel and really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    Wylaff said:
    I don't know that I want to directly add the whiskey to the tobacco. In my mind, if they are in the same container, the cigars will pick up some of the nuances and flavors. Like then tobacco is stored/aged in used bourbon barrels. I have had one that was aged in a Blanton's barrel and really enjoyed it.
    Hatueys Cigars offers spritzes at time of purchase. I've always passed, but they do roll their own, so I figure they may know a thing or two.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Touche.
    I've been reading about infusing cigars and if you spray them long term, it can discolor the wrapper and affect the burn.
    I could see how a little spritz right before smoking though would add some flavor.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes patience to infuse cigars. Especially with whiskey. I've done it once. The result wasn't so great. A big Tupperware bowl and a shot glass of whiskey is what I tried. But my problem I think is that I wasn't around to open it everyday so it could breathe. It soaked up to fast and swelled like you wouldn't believe. But didn't split which really surprised me. Practice on cheap cigars till you think you have it down then try it on something that you like. I would recommend something on the mild side if you really want to taste the whiskey. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Yuck! Yer mixin stuff that was meant to be enjoyed at the same time but,.. separately. What's yer rush? ;) You asked,.. so I told ya.
    I gotta agree with this, even though I don't tend to drink alcohol.
    Not sure why one would want to infuse a perfectly good cigar anyways.
    If you want infused, I would think you would want to try the ones that are already out there infused by those who do it.

There are some infused that I enjoy once in a while (Moontrance) and other infused that I can't even stomach the smell of them (Acid).
    So again, it's subjective to what you want.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly Suspect did this a few years ago and started a thread on it.  You might be able to search it out and see how he came out.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks @Amos_Umwhat ! I found his thread!
    I also stumbled across this, I find it interesting.
    http://redheadoakbarrels.com/aging-barrel-store/cigar-infuser-barrels/
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I did something similar by buying some whisky barrel chunks and throwing them in a jar with some Fauhiba cigars I wasn't impressed with.  This worked well for infusing green coffee before roasting, but I'm not so sure it worked that well with the cigars.  It didn't turn the sow's ear into a silk purse, at least, but it was a cheap experiment.

I may have left them in too long.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )