Home Ratings & Reviews

Private Stock natural maduros (Davidoff 2nds)

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Name: Private Stock

Manufacturer: Davidoff/Avo

Filler: Dominican (mid)

Wrapper: Connecticut

Price: $2.99-3.49 (can't remember exact amount)

The initial smell was fainter and the bouquet was off for some reason to my nose. Later, I realized it was because this stick only had two flavor profiles, cocoa and coffee.

The draw was fine, but initially pulled very little smoke into my mouth, but soon re-corrected (due to the foot taking longer to fully light the entire end. Best piece of advice I received about lighting a cigar was to make sure the foot was fully ashed by blowing on it before taking more draws. I'm a bit of a rusher, but I'm learning, no premature for me-ruins the smoking experience right out of the gate). What I noticed and why this review will be short (a first for me) there was a harshness that didn't disappear but changed into bitterness and remained through the remainder of the smoke.

The smoke itself fluctuated from dense steam mostly as I exhaled, but rarely to creamy billows of thick swirling cigar smoke bands (which I prefer). The stick burned a little unevenly, and the cherry appeared to smolder almost to the point of going out. I touched it up once to make sure. The ash was a little gnarly on visual inspection.

I had spoke to someone on the forum earlier who said he didn't care for Davidoffs due to them not packing a lot of punch. Which I agree. This may have been a hybrid 2nd, but it was a dog of a smoke and a bad experience trying to get value from a smoke someone else informs you “is the best tobacco in the discount section”. I think I will revisit this stick way down the road and take one members advice of giving it a lot of humi time (I smoked it a few hours right out of my former B&M crappy humidor).

The other most memorable part was the weird taste it left in my mouth, nay the sensation. I wound up with a severe case of dry mouth and was stuck with this bitterness aftertaste (which stayed with me 24 hours later).

Sadly, I don't think this was a case of bait and switch but an attempt at maximizing profits by trying to create a Frankenstein monster off of a sterling reputation and company. When I read the label on the bag I noticed it said “natural maduro”. I asked the B&M employee who agreed that was strange and google the answer. He said some companies will mix seeds to come out with a hybrid blend batch for sale to specific companies or markets. Apparently, this was such a hybrid. I mean noticeably it was smooth, but as my other member stated “where's the punch (pop) and flavor (it was extremely mild). All I know is that it left me with a horrid smoking experience. The kind I'm glad after numerous bad sticks in I can notice. I'd label it a dog rocket, but because of the pedigree I'll just say, maybe after some extreme humi time and a cool summer night there might be a connection, a spark, an attraction. Sadly, tonight Davidoff's 2nds were like 4ths, maybe even 5ths and a definite miss.  Next!

The secret word is cigars! 

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta try these!!!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrouchoM said:

I had spoke to someone on the forum earlier who said he didn't care for Davidoffs due to them not packing a lot of punch. Which I agree. 

I too agree.  The Grand Cru cigars and even some of the Thousand Series can be lacking.
    Which Davidoff did you smoke that didn't pack a punch?  
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    @danielzreyesNot a Davidoff but a 2nd called Private Stock natural maduro (#2)
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice review, That dry mouth bitter aftertaste is something I get occasionally when my body chemistry is a little off, think Ph levels. The main cause for me is slight dehydration. There are a few sticks that I am more sensitive too than others, Fuente, AVO, La Paulina and Davidoff come to mind first.

When everything is 'right' these are awesome smokes, when I am off these are VERY bad, I'm not sure what the common factor is , I used to think it was the Cameroon, not so sure anymore. I like some of these sticks a lot I just have to pay attention to what my body is 'telling' me.     

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize in advance here, I know you already don't like me, but what is a natural Maduro?  Was this cigar offered in two wrappers?  Good review however, very nicely done.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice review, That dry mouth bitter aftertaste is something I get occasionally when my body chemistry is a little off, think Ph levels. The main cause for me is slight dehydration. There are a few sticks that I am more sensitive too than others, Fuente, AVO, La Paulina and Davidoff come to mind first.

When everything is 'right' these are awesome smokes, when I am off these are VERY bad, I'm not sure what the common factor is , I used to think it was the Cameroon, not so sure anymore. I like some of these sticks a lot I just have to pay attention to what my body is 'telling' me.     

This is going to stick in the back of my mind.  After the next cigar I smoke that seems a bit off, I'll have to take note of how I was feeling beforehand.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    @Patrickbrick Sorry for the delay in responding. I've gotten several explanations that say various things. The one that ive vaugely remember is that the wrapper leaf was a muduro.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so you smoked a maduro, not a natural now that makes sense.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.