Home Cigar 101

Packaged Cigars- How to Store

I just started smoking and have a question about how to store cigars. I am a poor recently married college student and simply don't have loads of cash. I bought a five pack of the Gurkha Titans. It was an offer that came with starting a new account on here. I recieved the package today. The five cigars are wrapped in plastic individually and then are wrapped in plastic as a five pack together. Cigar.com sent the package without a water pillow with the five pack, but they did send one with a single cigar that I bought. I am not planning on smoking the Gurkha's for awhile so I was wondering if they are ok how they are or if I need to do something to keep them fresh. I don't have anything yet humidor or anything.

Thanks

Comments

• rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    You will need to keep them in an environment that has a humidity source in it. You can keep the cigars in the bag that had the single cigar in it with the water pillow. The bag and water pillow should keep the cigars long enough for you to get a humidor or tupperdore to put the sticks in. You will want to make sure to add more water to the water pillow every so often. Only use distilled water when adding more water to the water pillow. This will help it last longer. I am sure that I have left some stuff out that the other guys on here will help you with. Welcome to the board!!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board, rmcloud is spot on. If and when you are ready we can tell you how to build a tupperdor which should be cheaper than an actual humidor.
  • nazehnernazehner Posts: 5
    Thanks guys. What is the time frame of keeping them in the bag. I don't want to ruin the nice cigars, but I am not sure I have a lot of extra cash to spare. There is a lot of stuff out there on tupperdors. Is there one plan that you would direct me to use.

Thanks
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    No real time frame just keep them out of direct sunlight and in a relatively cool place in your house, NOT THE FRIDGE. as long as there are no holes in the bag and the water pillow is charged you can do that for a long time.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Just send them to me and I'll keep a close eye on them while you save up the cash for a tupperdor. I'll store them for you with the band, cedar, and all wrappings removed to let them breathe better. They may shrink a bit while stored in this proper manner. Just let me know when you need one and I'll send it back to you ;)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Just send them to me and I'll keep a close eye on them while you save up the cash for a tupperdor. I'll store them for you with the band, cedar, and all wrappings removed to let them breathe better. They may shrink a bit while stored in this proper manner. Just let me know when you need one and I'll send it back to you ;)
    It will probably look different too. Like a small pile of grey white ash.. And a wet brown nub.. speaking of Nubs..
    kaspera79:
    speaking of Nubs..
    Thanks for reminding me... send me 3 Nubs as a storage fee for your Titans :)
  • nazehnernazehner Posts: 5
    Very helpful information. Thanks.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i kinda jumped on this one late...

though you can keep them in a bag for a long time i try and keep them in there less than a week. I feel that it is too hard to keep the RH at a constant level. If i was in a hurry i would move them to a tupperware container or a new unused cooler. All and all i still feel that a humidor is best for long term storage.
    kuzi16:

though you can keep them in a bag for a long time i try and keep them in there less than a week. I feel that it is too hard to keep the RH at a constant level. If i was in a hurry i would move them to a tupperware container or a new unused cooler. All and all i still feel that a humidor is best for long term storage.
    On this note, I tested out one of the water pillows and ziplocs that came with my cigar.com order. I had taken the cigars out of the bag and put them in my humidor, but I was wondering how well the bags would work as a solution to future humi overflow. The humidity in the bag spiked to above 80% and never settled back down over the next couple days before I quit the experiment. These were the same pillows in the same bags as I had received my order, and I hadn't recharged them or anything before use.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

On this note, I tested out one of the water pillows and ziplocs that came with my cigar.com order. I had taken the cigars out of the bag and put them in my humidor, but I was wondering how well the bags would work as a solution to future humi overflow. The humidity in the bag spiked to above 80% and never settled back down over the next couple days before I quit the experiment. These were the same pillows in the same bags as I had received my order, and I hadn't recharged them or anything before use.
    If you tested just the bag without cigars in it I would say that is not a valid experiment.. Place about five or six cigars in there and repeat the test Leave a little air in the bag and I bet the results will be different.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

If you tested just the bag without cigars in it I would say that is not a valid experiment.. Place about five or six cigars in there and repeat the test Leave a little air in the bag and I bet the results will be different.
    In the short term they might be different, but I think eventually the humidity would tend to settle on the higher side as the cigars absorbed enough humidity to keep a constant RH. Don't know for sure, but that's my guess... and my guess is assuming you recharge the pillow, but I'd imagine if you didn't recharge then the humidity would settle lower.

This calls for further experimentation! *gets his lab coat and glasses on*