Home Non Cigar Related

Nintendo Gameboy thread

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

HEY KIDS! Its your friendly neighborhood fat nerd. LOL I recently splurged and bought myself a Gameboy Color. I grew up with Gameboys and love them... but didn't have my old handheld units. So I brought back my childhood memories. Along with that and several games... I bought the frontlight mod for it. Super excited. Should have it installed this week. :-)

Anyone else an old school gaming nerd? if so, what you got?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Often thought about finding a Nintendo NES system and the game built to win. Rented that game so many times (never could find It to buy). Game was ahead of its time. We'll way better then pong on Atari. 

But I'm pretty high tech these days and play need for speed blacklist and rainbow 6 on the first Xbox. 
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL! I would love to have an older console. Especially the NES... so many memories. lol
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had a gameboy but I would love to have my first NES, Super Nintendo, N64 and Playstation 1. So many good memories! 
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my old Atari 2600 with a bunch of games. Need to get it out of the box and hook it up to show the kids what I use to play with :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

WaterNerd said:
    I still have my old Atari 2600 with a bunch of games. Need to get it out of the box and hook it up to show the kids what I use to play with :)

I didn't realize you was that old Allan.. Maybe I should send you a cane  :D
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO... I was really young when I got the system I swear

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

WaterNerd said:

I want......
    LOL! I would love to have an older console. Especially the NES... so many memories. lol
    Some them old systems fetch a pretty penny..
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterNerd said:

I want......
    Retro atari with ton of games are available for purchase in most electronic retailers during holiday time.
    I have intelivision and atari in a box with an old NES and sega. Just can't seem to throw them away. I just moved em so I know I still have them. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    My friends and I still play Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros on both N64 and Gamecube. Not as old, but still freaking awesome.
    No_one21 said:
    My friends and I still play Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros on both N64 and Gamecube. Not as old, but still freaking awesome.
    We do too! There is a drinking game we play while playing Mario Kart.
    Everyone starts with a drink and on the green light, you can chug or get the turbo. In order to win, you must cross the finish line and have an empty drink. However, when you are drinking, you must pull over and stop driving because drinking and driving is wrong.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, thats awesome!
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Nolagizmo said:
    WaterNerd said:

I want......
    Retro atari with ton of games are available for purchase in most electronic retailers during holiday time.
    I have intelivision and atari in a box with an old NES and sega. Just can't seem to throw them away. I just moved em so I know I still have them. 

Dude!!!! I Wish I still had my old Atari, NES and Sega Genesis.... I sold them when I was young and VERY dumb. lol
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    No_one21 said:
    We do too! There is a drinking game we play while playing Mario Kart.
    Everyone starts with a drink and on the green light, you can chug or get the turbo. In order to win, you must cross the finish line and have an empty drink. However, when you are drinking, you must pull over and stop driving because drinking and driving is wrong.
    Ooh we play 1 beer per lap. Must finish before crossing finish line each time. Very funny to see people either trying to drive while drinking.... or stop on the side and chug.
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found my old game boy, one of the big clear ones. I don't have any games for it so I'm not sure if it works still but if anyone fixes them up or wants to test it out I'll gladly send it your way

would it have to be returned? ;) lol

Im tryin to get into modding Gameboys and would love to have one to mess around with... if you still wanna send it out. lol

@LiquidChaos66 it's all yours. And no returns. PM your addy and I'll get it in the mail. Glad I found someone who can put it to good use
    bert873 said:
    @LiquidChaos66 it's all yours. And no returns. PM your addy and I'll get it in the mail. Glad I found someone who can put it to good use

PM Sent and MANY MANY thanks!
    Alright... So the Gameboy that Bert873 sent me.... Ill post pics of it shortly (when I get to Wifi lol) It initially wouldn't fire up when batteries were put in.... found an AC adapter and it worked just fine. Dismantled the whole box, cleaned it, soaked the battery contacts in vinegar to clean some corrosion and reassembled. Works like a dream! I have all sorts of goodies on the way to me for a full back light upgrade, bivert chip (improves graphics and clarity), new stickers for the back, a glass screen and new buttons! :-) STOKED!!!!!!
    Awesome!! Really looking forward to seeing the upgrades. 
    Alright!!!! I'm done testing my luck! Here is a before and after of my Gameboy modding!!!!!
    Cleaned, new battery contacts, glass play it loud lens, back light, bivert chip and new silicone buttons!!!!!

First pic is before and last is after all mods!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's gorgeous! I want one now....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Nice! that screen definitely looks easier to play on than the original. 
    Much easier to play on. I played it for a hour before work.... Its awesome. )
    So if I can find a gameboy, what would it cost to mod it?
    Depends on the model of Gameboy. Some mods are easier on the old DMG (the style I posted pics of) cause installing a back light setup is really simple... just mildly time consuming. In all I think the price of my mods came up to $30 including shipping. If you can solder... you can do it. lol
    Depends on the model of Gameboy. Some mods are easier on the old DMG (the style I posted pics of) cause installing a back light setup is really simple... just mildly time consuming. In all I think the price of my mods came up to $30 including shipping. If you can solder... you can do it. lol
    Well crap. I can't solder so it looks like I'm out.

THIS OFFER GOES OUT TO EVERYONE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED! I OFFER NO WRITTEN OR VERBAL GUARENTEES TO MY WORK… AND CAN NOT 100% SAY THAT YOUR GAMEBOY WILL BE FUNCTIONAL WHEN IT IS RETURNED!

That being said…. If you get your hands on an old school Gameboy DMG that is in working condition I can do the mods for you. I am not a professional yet but the work is fairly easy. The only hard part is removing the polarizing screen on the back of the original Gameboy screen. There is very little room to work and if you damage a ribbon cable to the screen…. The whole front circuit board is kaput. There is no way to replace it. I have yet to find somewhere to buy new ones…

So far I can do the mods I listed above in my post with the pics. (Cleaned, new battery contacts, glass play it loud lens, back light, bivert chip and new silicone buttons) I am sure I could figure out other mods… but I would be confident in my ability to install them… until I actually do. The only thing is… the unit you want modded… Needs to be in solid functioning order. I have yet to figure out repairs on them. I can do the basics. Lol

Here are the sites I ordered my parts from.

https://handheldlegend.com/

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/

If you want a mod done… PM me and we can discuss the options and see if its something I can pull off. J

Hey.... digging this one back up.... Looking to expand on my Gameboy collection. Does anyone have a Gameboy Pocket (functioning and in decent condition) that they would be willing to SELL me or TRADE CIGARS for it?