Home Cigar 101

Odd Problem

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
So I got a colibri style torch lighter about 4-5 months ago in the 5 Vegas taster pack. But for some reason now it has stopped being a torch and behaves like a normal lighter with the nice "wavy" flame instead of the torch jet.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Is there a k n o b for air intake to turn the jet down?
    Dunno.
    Here is a page that might help.
    http://www.milnejewelry.com/Colibri/care_warranty.html

What the hell?? K N O B is censored?
    Evidently, we're 5 year olds who can't handle words. Good grief.  :s
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soft flame is just as good or better, depending on who you ask.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a little compressed air to clean out the jets. I've had this problem before, and that usually fixes it for me.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Is there a k n o b for air intake to turn the jet down?
    Dunno.
    Here is a page that might help.
    http://www.milnejewelry.com/Colibri/care_warranty.html

What the hell?? K N O B is censored?
    Evidently, we're 5 year olds who can't handle words. Good grief.  :s
    Changing the "flame size" does not seem to affect it.

Soft flame is just as good or better, depending on who you ask.

I've gotten a better light with torches, also have a lot of wind here so typical lighters get blown out really easily unless I light in my car. But since I drive a little two seater, the smell really gets into everything and at some point I would like to sell this thing.

cbuck said:
    Try a little compressed air to clean out the jets. I've had this problem before, and that usually fixes it for me.

Next time it's empty I will give that a try.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It caught me off guard, that's for sure.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My torches didn't want to work with crappy butane. I switched to a high grade butane and they work like a charm. Also bled the air out 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    My torches didn't want to work with crappy butane. I switched to a high grade butane and they work like a charm. Also bled the air out 
    I bleed them of everything once it gets low enough to not light up anymore. It's usually just a hair of butane left in there and I let it all out until there is zero hissing.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't have to be empty to blow out the jets.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    cbuck said:
    If the compressed air alone isn't enough, dab a Q-tip into some Nitro Solvent and put a drop on the gas jets, then blow it out.  I have to do this about every 6 months with my Zippo butane lighter.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup you can usually just blow on it hard and that should work for the most part
    Money can't buy taste
    peter4jc said:
    They don't have to be empty to blow out the jets.
    Mine has a flap that only pops open when I press the lighter button all the way down. I can't even get a pin between the flap and the lip of the lighter to pull it up so that I can blow it out.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, I love your humor Kelly
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter