Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Need Gardening suggestions...

EssPee2uEssPee2u Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
Every year my Wife is determined to grow some vegetables & peppers on our balcony.  Every year we go out an get whatever supplies she thinks she needs.  Every year this venture yields about 6 scallions and 3 peppers, making them the most expensive peppers and scallions on earth.  What are some hardy can't miss things she can plant - I would like her to have a bountiful crop at least once.

Thanks in advance
Keep it Smokey

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dandelion greens.  They grow like weeds.  

Do you get enough sun in that spot?  Can't grow anything but mushrooms in the shade.  Also, large enough pots for the roots to spread out.  I'm in the same boat here.  Tried to grow Parsley and Spinach for the critters but can't get shiite to grow more than an inch tall.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Yeah there is enough light and she use those long pots plus some round clay pots...i think she may be over watering them at times then under watering them...they get super dry then she compensates by watering them down its a vicious cycle

Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

EssPee2u said:
    Yeah there is enough light and she use those long pots plus some round clay pots...i think she may be over watering them at times then under watering them...they get super dry then she compensates by watering them down its a vicious cycle

1) How big are the pots? 
    Small pots tend to heat up faster, dry out faster, and can "fry" the plant's roots. 

2) Are there holes in the bottom of the pots for excess water to drain out?
    Definitely need to stick with a regular watering schedule with pots since they do dry out faster, compared to plants in the ground

3) I've done tomatoes & peppers in pots before, got mixed results. 

4) Maybe have her try out herbs.  Or lettuces & leafy greens.  Those are all pretty forgiving and not as demanding as tomatoes/peppers/squash.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv said:

EssPee2u said:

1) How big are the pots? 
    Small pots tend to heat up faster, dry out faster, and can "fry" the plant's roots. 

2) Are there holes in the bottom of the pots for excess water to drain out?
    Definitely need to stick with a regular watering schedule with pots since they do dry out faster, compared to plants in the ground

3) I've done tomatoes & peppers in pots before, got mixed results. 

4) Maybe have her try out herbs.  Or lettuces & leafy greens.  Those are all pretty forgiving and not as demanding as tomatoes/peppers/squash.
    1) They are all decent size for what we are planting

2) Yes and I agree

3) Peppers seem to have had the best results

4) The leafy stuff did not do as well

She has a brown thumb is what I'm guessing lol
    Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grow a lot of hot peppers in window planter boxes. The plastic ones from lowes or HD.   24 or 30 inches long I get 3 plants and they grow better than in the ground. Tomatoes do well in 5 gallon buckets
  • Options
    I grow a lot of hot peppers in window planter boxes. The plastic ones from lowes or HD.   24 or 30 inches long I get 3 plants and they grow better than in the ground. Tomatoes do well in 5 gallon buckets
    I have those window planter boxes thats where the peppers did best...will have to give it a go again
    Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest a medium size plastic trash can. Drill some holes and with good mulch & fertilizer add seed potatoes. Add dirt as they grow and you'll be able dig it out in Fall.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone
    Keep it Smokey