Home Cigar 101

Coolidor

I want to make one (I think ) just to do something. My goal is to make one that does not look so half ass'd and redneck. I want it to be presentable. I'm looking for ideas as I don't know how much less redeck you can get when you are in fact making a humidor out of an igloo. This coming from a guy that loves big trucks, bon fires, and country music.

Comments

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    How about a wine cooler? Very presentable AND complete with temperature control!
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    MAJORdorMo:
    How about a wine cooler? Very presentable AND complete with temperature control!
    I was looking at them last night but couldn't find much info on them
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hmm...Do you have any wood working ability whatsoever? Could build a framework of plywood around the box and stain it, giving it a wood appearance.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

The Cank:
    MAJORdorMo:
    I was looking at them last night but couldn't find much info on them

Do you have any brands you can recommend? I couldn't find much info on them either. This could be my solution when I start buying boxes.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I saw a nice looking wine cooler at my local BJs, it would actually make a very nice and presentable humidor, and it only cost about $40.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    I saw a nice looking wine cooler at my local BJs, it would actually make a very nice and presentable humidor, and it only cost about $40.
    this would be great as I need something for boxes and just for display
    Hays:
    Hmm...Do you have any wood working ability whatsoever? Could build a framework of plywood around the box and stain it, giving it a wood appearance.
    I can make just about anything
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    The Cank:
    Hays:

Well if that's the case, how about this for an idea. I recently needed a "large" plant stand for a tropical plant. The cost was rediculous and availabilaty was even worse, so this is what I did. I purchases a cheap plastic "deck box" and spent some money on tongue and groove cedar. I dressed up the plastic box with the cedar and some nice trim pieces, and then put better casters on it so I could move the plant around the room.

If that could be done and built around a cooler, maybe even cover the lid and overlap the cedar so it closes nicely, you could have a very attractive 'trunk' looking box to store your cigars in.

As another afordable solution, I'm looking at purchasing a decent looking display case with glass doors, and getting some 'Spanish Cedar' vaneer to line the interior of the display case. With some care and fine tuning, the doors can be made air tight, even including magnetic clips if need be. The overall cost would be about 20% of a humidor purcase of the same size.

camgfs:
    The Cank:
    Hays:

Well if that's the case, how about this for an idea. I recently needed a "large" plant stand for a tropical plant. The cost was rediculous and availabilaty was even worse, so this is what I did. I purchases a cheap plastic "deck box" and spent some money on tongue and groove cedar. I dressed up the plastic box with the cedar and some nice trim pieces, and then put better casters on it so I could move the plant around the room.

If that could be done and built around a cooler, maybe even cover the lid and overlap the cedar so it closes nicely, you could have a very attractive 'trunk' looking box to store your cigars in.

As another afordable solution, I'm looking at purchasing a decent looking display case with glass doors, and getting some 'Spanish Cedar' vaneer to line the interior of the display case. With some care and fine tuning, the doors can be made air tight, even including magnetic clips if need be. The overall cost would be about 20% of a humidor purcase of the same size.

This is great ! I am gonna do some looking around. i was wondering about a display cabinet but the doors being air tight was what had me worried. I like the idea of using cedar around the cooler and making a trunk. However now that i think about it I think I want something with glass so people can see in and I can see the readings without opening it. Making the doors air tight and getting the cabinet in the right kind of wood is going to be the hard part. What kind of wood is best ? Cedar of course. not sure what other woods would hold humidity. i need one that will hold at least 200 - 300 cigars. I think.....
  • I purchased an Edgestar 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler a few months ago and it's been fantastic. I also ordered 10 cedar trays from somewhere elso and I think I was into it for about 200 bucks for the cooler and 90 bucks for the cedar trays. The cooler itself was free shipping, no tax, and free returns if you don't like it. I can't get the site to work on my computer right now but the place I bought it from was compactappliance.com. Model TWR282S Holds perfect 67% with beads. It also looks better than a cooler sitting in your room!
    24footjet:
    I purchased an Edgestar 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler a few months ago and it's been fantastic. I also ordered 10 cedar trays from somewhere elso and I think I was into it for about 200 bucks for the cooler and 90 bucks for the cedar trays. The cooler itself was free shipping, no tax, and free returns if you don't like it. I can't get the site to work on my computer right now but the place I bought it from was compactappliance.com. Model TWR282S Holds perfect 67% with beads. It also looks better than a cooler sitting in your room!
    Im checking this out ! Thanks
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cank ...... i just got my coolidor up and running and i was a little skeptical since they might not be the nicest to look at but i found a vintage cooler by coleman and its the best to convert to a coolidor........ here is the link on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COLEMAN-COOLER-FRIDGE-ICE-CHEST-NICE_W0QQitemZ250549701018QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a55ed099a#ht_622wt_958 .................. if youi look inside you can get cigar trays that will use the rails inside ...... i have 6 trays that hold 30-40 gars in each tray and am using half a pound of 65% humidification beads ....... any others questions pm me bro
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

24footjet:
    I purchased an Edgestar 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler a few months ago and it's been fantastic. I also ordered 10 cedar trays from somewhere elso and I think I was into it for about 200 bucks for the cooler and 90 bucks for the cedar trays. The cooler itself was free shipping, no tax, and free returns if you don't like it. I can't get the site to work on my computer right now but the place I bought it from was compactappliance.com. Model TWR282S Holds perfect 67% with beads. It also looks better than a cooler sitting in your room!

Do you know what the temperature settings are? I think wine needs to be stored in cooler temperatures than cigars, but does the cooler have a setting for at least 60 degrees?

ok so here are some pics of the coolidor ...... i have 4 more trays coming so its will have 6 total trays holding 30-35 cigars easily

Here is another image

And oner more imageAll in all iam verry happy how it turned out. Boy i hope this works
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    ok so here are some pics of the coolidor ...... i have 4 more trays coming so its will have 6 total trays holding 30-35 cigars easily

Here is another image

And oner more imageAll in all iam verry happy how it turned out. Boy i hope this works
    Hey King... Something is missing on your last post.
    yea i kinda noticed that
  • I have the cooler set on it's warmest... I believe the temperature outside the fridge has alot to do with the inside, especially in the winter. With the cooler plugged in I had a constant 62 degrees and 67% humidity all the time. I wanted a little more temp so I unplugged and now it sits at 65 degrees and 67%. This model also is equipped with a fan so it's always circulating, which I like. Controls are set on the back inside of the fridge which doesn't really matter unless you want to turn the light on, but I just leave it on, look through the glass and monitor humidity.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    so I have been looking at cooler online so I know that I want to get and how much it will cost me when I get home and... when did coolers get so damn expensive?! the "cheap" coolers are like at least $70 and for a nice one its like $100! I guess I'll just stick with the medium sized one I have for now until I fill that one up. I might even just get an end table style humi, they are only slightly more expensive! this cigar obsession is nuts!
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    It is expensively nuts, but not peanuts..no not at all.
    I do believe I have it figured and I am going to start this project as soon as I get back from Jamaica . Ill post Pics