Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Newb Here

I'm totally new to everything cigar. I am trying to work my way through different brands and styles without breaking the bank, but could use advice. I am a Pastor in Central Florida who, like the great theologian Charles H. Spurgeon, smokes a good cigar to the glory of God. I know I like Maduros and I totally dig 60 gauge because I have to slow down, take a break, and unplug, which is vital in my position. So my question is, what do you recommend for an inexpensive every day smoke? It would be awesome if I could be paired up with a sponsor to help me navigate these new waters.

Thanks!
Pastor Jay

Best Answers

Answers

• PastorJayPastorJay Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Okay...so what the heck is a trade? How does it happen? I'm game, but have no clue what to do or how to do it.
    I believe I did sign up for the e-mail newsletter and I also asked for a catalog. Thanks!
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @PastorJay . As the son of a pastor who grew up in Florida, I welcome you and hope you enjoy it here.
    The best thing you can do as a newbie is sign up for the Newsletter! Lots of good info in it!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PastorJay said:
    Okay...so what the heck is a trade? How does it happen? I'm game, but have no clue what to do or how to do it.
    I just sent you a PM with lots of info. 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @PastorJay. Great group of people here and tons of good info.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Thanks Mike! I appreciate it. I think I started discussion on the wrong board though. I saw the word "sponsor" and figured I needed someone to help guide me. Thanks to Bob, you, and the info, I'm thinking I really need to read read read and learn. I have a small desktop humi and have ordered a can of 25, Placeres Canister 6x60 Cigars. Do you guys know of these? 
    edited March 2016
    Thanks @Guitarded! I'm looking forward to this!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jay! 

Check out the stickied threads at the top of each section, they have a blue "Announcement" tag next to them, those are a good place to start and have answers to the most common "FAQs" .

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

edited March 2016
    PastorJay said:
    Thanks Mike! I appreciate it. I think I started discussion on the wrong board though. I saw the word "sponsor" and figured I needed someone to help guide me. Thanks to Bob, you, and the info, I'm thinking I really need to read read read and learn. I have a small desktop humi and have ordered a can of 25, Placeres Canister 6x60 Cigars. Do you guys know of these? 
    Never heard of 'em (Placeres). OK found them on another retailer's website.  They might be pretty good. You can send me one in our trade :)

Just a heads up. This site is sponsored by cigar.com. Out of respect for them we don't openly steer people to other retailers. I'm not saying you even came close to doing that but wanted you to know the etiquette involved pertaining to it.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Welcome Jay and to answer your question, I have not heard of the Placeres cigars. That doesn't mean much since I don't keep up with the latest (or even old) offerings.

There's tons of information here and you're in good hands with Bob. There's a really good thread to read located here.http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/379773/102-things-newbs-should-know-orig-post-updated#latest.

There's no stupid question so if you aren't sure of something, there's a plethora of knowledgeable people here who are happy to answer your questions.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The newsletter that Bob mentioned is not the Ccom newsletter, but the member's newsletter. Not the same thing. There is a Newbie trade thread somewhere in the trades forum. I apologize, but I'm on a phone so finding it is difficult on a phone.

Read all you can, barely believe any of it and make your own decisions.  :)
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome pastor Jay,this is a very great forum. Stick around and ask lots of questions,so many helpful people here. 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Plenty to read, tons to learn. There's even a couple other pastors on here.
    Maybe you could form some kind of alliance...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    edited March 2016
    I don't usually keep score but as of now, I got THREE newbie trades goin'! 

Yehaaaw!

The Pastor's Alliance...lol. Love it @Wylaff
    PastorJay said:
    The Pastor's Alliance...lol. Love it @Wylaff
    No more alliances! Gee wiz! He doesn't even know what that means yet! Leave him alone! LOL
    I'm even doing a fund raiser for our Cuban Mission Trip that includes a cigar roller coming, playing bongos, rolling cigars, and telling stories. We like our church just a bit different that way....
    So I don't "fit" into a lot of people's idea of what  Pastor should be. I'm a guy...I love cigars...and I love a good whiskey with them too. Mostly Evan Williams Honey, smooth as silk. :smiley: 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What part of central florida you in?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

PastorJay said:
    I'm even doing a fund raiser for our Cuban Mission Trip that includes a cigar roller coming, playing bongos, rolling cigars, and telling stories. We like our church just a bit different that way....
    So I don't "fit" into a lot of people's idea of what  Pastor should be. I'm a guy...I love cigars...and I love a good whiskey with them too. Mostly Evan Williams Honey, smooth as silk. :smiley: 
    Ooh Yuck! I tried I tried to pair JD Honey with cigars and I thought it was a nasty combo. LOL To each his own. LOL
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PastorJay said:
    Nothing wrong with that,as long as all glory is given to GOD
    Non Crux sed lux
    @Bob_LukenIf it's any consolation, I don't like JD Honey with anything. 

@Usaf06 I'm in Umatilla and serve a church in Eustis. We're about 30 miles north of Orlando.
    PastorJay said:
    @Usaf06 I'm in Umatilla and serve a church in Eustis. We're about 30 miles north of Orlando.
    Herf! Herf! Herf! 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, i live in St. Cloud
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

edited March 2016
    @Bob_Luken I just Googled herf, and that would be AWESOME! But not till my pool gets into top shape. Believe me, I have the perfect place! If you look at my profile pic, that's a huge pool, and behind the photographer is a lake. And while my wife "okays" cigars, it's all outside, and I'm all about keeping the peace.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PastorJay said:
    You sound a lot like my Dad. I grew up in Jacksonville but have grandparents in FrostProof.
    My dad now lives in Kentucky, he enjoys bourbon, cigars and guns! In fact, he is the one that got me started in all three!