Home General Discussion

checking the hydrometer once its calibrated

I calibrated my digital hydrometer how do i know i did it right, do i do another salt test if so for how long. I just want to make sure its right. I have to much money invested in cigars for it to be wrong. Can some one answer that for me. Thanks

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to go the salt-test route, but found it had too many variables; salt too wet, salt too dry, etc.  So now I buy a Boveda calibration kit - comes with the zip bag and a 75% Boveda pack.

I suppose you could use any Boveda pack and a ziplock, and then go off of that too.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • LoyaltyLoyalty Posts: 15
    Thank you for responding i dont have a boveda pack i was just wondering was there another way to check it after calibration
    I have already calibrated it with the salt test i just want to know how do i know its calibrated right is there a test for that checking it after calibration. But thank you for the site
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just repeat the process.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way you're phrasing the question puzzles me. The salt test is the way you check it. If it read 75%RH during the salt test, it is correct. You know at that point that it is reading correctly. Your humidor needs to be somewhere between 65% and 70%. Is there a reason you need to verify it further? Are you getting readings that are outside the desired range? 

Also, I want to ask, is this your first time setting up a humidor? If so, have you seasoned the humidor first? That's a whole other exercise in cigar basics. 
    no its not my first time its a new humidor and i seasoned it and its a new hydroset 2 hydrometer i just wanted to make sure it calibrated right before i put my cigars in it. Its habbit my job i just use to double checking certain things making sure i didnt make a mistake thats all. I guess i will just put every thing together and see what happens. Thank you for responding
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Like waylaff said,  the only way to double check would be to go through the salt test process again. I shoulda just said that first. LOL

Welcome to the forum Loyalty. 
    Thank you, thats what i will do is repeat the test .
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spose you could get two hygrometers, calibrate each independently, then set them side by side in the box to check whether they read the same.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)