Home Cigar 101

Desktop humidor humidity problems

bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been having issues maintaining humidity in my desktop. I took all the cigars out. Re seasoned and had it at 67%. Got some 69% boveda packs and added some cigars and its sitting at 62%. Added more boveda packs thinking there wasn't enough but even with four big ones it won't go above 62%. Not sure why as soon as I add sticks it drops even with an excessive amount of boveda packs.  

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the seal of the humidor? Also when you say you re-seasoned it did it max at 67%?  If so it really should get up to around 80% during the seasoning process.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the furnace running a lot there in Fallon MO? If so, do you run a room humidifier?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was seasoning my new humidor and the humidity never rose above 70% with the cheap, included hygrometer.  I picked up a Xikar and it read 82% so the original was just way off.  Have you checked or calibrated you hygrometer?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I did kind of half-@$$ my re seasoning so I'll go back and do it properly. What's the best way to check the seal?
    Heater is on a bit but not to much. But I guess it could be on enough to cause problems. 
    I'll test the hygrometer tonight and put it in a bag with a boveda and see what it reads. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not a glass top just put a flashlight in it and close the lid, if any light peeks out you have a leak. If it's a glass top take a dollar bill and go all around it closing the lid on it and pulling the bill out. It should have a good resistance when you pull on it. 
    Huh. I never tried the flashlight trick.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I gave up on trying to make my desktops perform throughout the dry winter months. I put them inside a coolidor during the past two winters. Running a room humidifier might be a better option. Plus, when I touch the light switch after sliding out of my recliner, maybe there wouldn't be a half-inch lightning bolt zapping my fingers . 
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    If the seal is good put a shot glass of holy water in there.  Winters up here get dry, in my large humi I have 3 shot glasses, 2 in the 150 and 1 in my small.  Put a small piece of paper towel in them to help prevent sloshing and give it a little wick enhancement.  Amazing how quickly they need to be filled during Jan to March.  With the 65% Boveda's in there, works pretty good.  
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it have to be holy water?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unholy water works also,as long as it's distilled 
    Non Crux sed lux
    Wylaff said:
    Of course... so long as you stock Ave Maria in there.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Seem's I will have to abandon my plan to pick up a couple ~1~'s then. Shame.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    I gave up on trying to make my desktops perform throughout the dry winter months. I put them inside a coolidor during the past two winters. Running a room humidifier might be a better option. Plus, when I touch the light switch after sliding out of my recliner, maybe there wouldn't be a half-inch lightning bolt zapping my fingers . 
    I did the same thing actually. I've had the desktop empty other than a few cups of distilled water for most of the winter since I couldn't get it to hold steady. Now I've got back in an organizing kick and needed to use it again
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bert873 said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    I did the same thing actually. I've had the desktop empty other than a few cups of distilled water for most of the winter since I couldn't get it to hold steady. Now I've got back in an organizing kick and needed to use it again
    I've considered putting my humidors into a cooler during the winter months but I really don't need the extra coolers sitting empty the rest of the year. Too much temptation when not in use. The room humidifier definitely helps though. 
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is nesting. Hence the organization effort. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood is pretty and ornamental but sucks up too much moisture. Switch to plastic and you may not even need to charge your boveda packs anymore. I use a weathertight storage box and a couple of large boveda packs and I haven't charged them in two years! They release and absorb so slowly that there really isn't much humidity swinging that happens; it is always 65%-69% with the two large boveda 65% packs no matter the season.  
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Easier than typing distilled, I'm lazy.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    How has kitty litter not been brought up?! My things have changed on this forum!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
    AVJim said:
    How has kitty litter not been brought up?! My things have changed on this forum!
    Oh it's still brought up frequently. Probably not in this case as it is a desktop, but every time a cooler is mentioned, you'll see it.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Kitty litter works well in desktops. Just put it in humidifiers instead of green foam stuff. Add a screen if there isn't one already. Works great!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
    AVJim said:
    Kitty litter works well in desktops. Just put it in humidifiers instead of green foam stuff. Add a screen if there isn't one already. Works great!
    I'll do this when/if my black ice jars get moldy, as they are known to do. I only use them to boost my boveda packs in the winter when the humidity drops to next to nothing.