Home General Discussion

Looking for first ashtray!

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
Title says it all. Here at the inlaws, they have a coffee can for cig butts but I want/need something a little more...romantic? I just can't bring myself to lay the beautiful, hand crafted cigar that I am enjoying on a coffee can filled with ashed out camels.
Any input on what kind/type would be great seeing as how I don't have any experience with purchasing one.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my Stinky ashtrays, especially the floor-standing model in my cigar room.  The two reasons I like 'em so much is they'll hold a ton of ash, but mainly for their ample rests - makes it easy to lay my cigar and let it rest safe and secure.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the time being you could scrounge around for a stiff copper wire and take some pliers and bend it to form a cigar rest (Stirrup) and hang it on the edge of the can. I know it isn't perfect but it's what I use. Got mine hung on a brass planter that's about the size of a coffee can. 

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my San Cristobal ashtray that I picked up at my local B&M, not cheap, but big, has ample cigar rests, and it's my favorite color. image
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I thought I would like this one, but I don't. Seems a bit cheaply made and for me the long rest gets my wrapper all dirty. image

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I love my Stinky ashtrays, especially the floor-standing model in my cigar room.  The two reasons I like 'em so much is they'll hold a ton of ash, but mainly for their ample rests - makes it easy to lay my cigar and let it rest safe and secure.
    I just looked at a few of the "tall" ones on the devil site. I love the looks of these!!!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    peter4jc said:
    I just looked at a few of the "tall" ones on the devil site. I love the looks of these!!!
    And if you dispose of your butts (to keep the smell down) they hold enough ash for months and months worth of smoking.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I love my San Cristobal ashtray that I picked up at my local B&M, not cheap, but big, has ample cigar rests, and it's my favorite color. image
    You can frequently find ashtrays like this at garage sales for a buck or so...   B)
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone on here used the wife's big spoon holder thingy! Only drawback I see is there is only room for one, and not much room for stubs!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    For the time being you could scrounge around for a stiff copper wire and take some pliers and bend it to form a cigar rest (Stirrup) and hang it on the edge of the can. I know it isn't perfect but it's what I use. Got mine hung on a brass planter that's about the size of a coffee can. 

Don't forget 1001 uses for a coat hanger, lol.  

I have 2 ceramic ones for inside, outside I use plastic.  Think I got them at a Reny's up here, they have a big center rest for cigars.  One of the ceramics is the MOW, it's pretty big too, I can see me breaking that one someday.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son got the the standing Stinky a few years back for Father's Day.  I love it and it does take a ton of ashes before it has to be emptied.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this one a few years ago in a local junk/antique shop. Liked it so much I bought a couple more on ebay. Some are plain. Some carry corporate or event promotions. They are vintage ceramic from an Oklahoma pottery shop that used to have a store on old Route 66. Some of the rests are narrower than others on certain ashtrays but, all accommodate most cigars well enough. They are collectible but plentiful and not that valuable so if you broke it it's not that big of a deal. Between $10 and $20 usually. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XVintage+Frankoma+%23458+Ashtray.TRS0&_nkw=Vintage+Frankoma+%23458+Ashtray&_sacat=0

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one of these a few years ago at CFest and love it.  Couple of different angles to hold your cigar and the tray to hold a cutter, lighter, and nubber.  

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one of these a few years ago at CFest and love it.  Couple of different angles to hold your cigar and the tray to hold a cutter, lighter, and nubber.  

Oh man that rocks!
    I'm a cheapskate. Got this ladel or is it ladle holder at Walmart for like $1.50. But works great. 
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one good looking tray to hold dust from a fallen stogie!
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    MikeTodd said:
    Title says it all. Here at the inlaws, they have a coffee can for cig butts but I want/need something a little more...romantic? I just can't bring myself to lay the beautiful, hand crafted cigar that I am enjoying on a coffee can filled with ashed out camels.
    Any input on what kind/type would be great seeing as how I don't have any experience with purchasing one
    I can't do that either. 
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a large MOW one that you can have, never used.
    In the garage I have a thrift store spittoon paired with a cigar rest. image

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ash on myself.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ash on myself.
    Sure, make me spit out my coffee!
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bigshizza , sure! Just PM me how much you want for it or shipping. 
    I just ash on myself

For all the ashtrays I have, I have to admit that more often than I care to I end up doing the same thing.  I've got a shop vac next to me in the garage where I roast coffee, but when I smoke out back it's on a open paved patio that doesn't need that kind of cleanup.

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The Cigar.com 2 finger ashtray is the one I used all the time (until I dropped it). Inexpensive and looks nice too. As a matter of fact, I think  I got one free in a Sampler/with an order.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same one Sherm has. Picked it up here on Ccom a few months ago. 

I just looked and it is on sale!

Linky:

http://www.cigar.com/mobile/ashtrays/85216/xikar-essence-5-finger-ashtray/#p-160928
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch