Home Cigar 101

Hydrometer Reading 75%

LoyaltyLoyalty Posts: 15
My cigars have been at 75% for the last 12-18 hour. Are they ok at that.?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, is your hygrometer a digital or an analog?
    If it's digital, has it been calibrated?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're OK for short periods like this. The most likely problem would be mold but only if you didn't correct the situation. 
  • LoyaltyLoyalty Posts: 15
    hydrometer has been calibrated whats the best way to correct the 75% problem

Please describe in minute detail exactly how you have everything set up.
    We need to know what we're dealing with in order to figure this out. 

I have a 100- 150 count glass top humidor i seasoned it all said and done it took three days on the fourth day i put cigars in it with the hydrometer calibrated at 75% its a hydroset 2the process i used was the salt test my humidor i used distiled water and wiped it down a couple of time the first time i wiprd it i let it sit closed for 24 hr i repeated the process the second  day for 24 hr the third day i put a couple of boveda packs in it and  one of those round sponge humidifiers in it filled with distiled water my hydrometer read 80%- 84% so i took out the round humidifier and open up my humidor to let it dry out for a few hours after i did that i closed it back up and let it sit for about 6 hrs i checked it hydrometer read 72% so i put my cigars back in it now it read 75%
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long ago?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I did all of that about a week and a half to two weeks ago the hydrometer been reading 75- 76% for a couple of days
    What are you currently using for humidity?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Which Boveda packs to you have in the humidor?  They come in 62, 65, 69, 72, 75, and 84% RH levels and should regulate your humidor to their marked level.

I use the 69% packs, the 84% packs are for seasoning your humidor.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited March 2016
    Thanks. Sounds like you may have over-saturated your humidor during seasoning. Here's what I would suggest you try.  Bag all the cigars in ziplocks. In a separate bag place all your humidifiers and bovedas.  Then let your humidor sit overnight with the lid open. In the morning close it and see what it reads after a few hours(or all day).

If you get a reading above 70% open the lid again and let it air out some more.

If and or when you get a reading below 70% Put your cigars back in with only the bovedas. Don't add the round sponge humidifier. See how it goes.

I would not use the sponge humidifier again. They are prone to mold.

What % are your bovedas?  
    Are you using anything besides the bovedas?

No 
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Once you add cigars in the humidity may rise or fall, but in a weeks time it will level out. You have to give everything time to settle. A few days is not enough time.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand the terms, technically, a hydrometer measures the density of liquids--think that floaty thing beer makers use to measure sugar content of wort. What is in our humidors is a hygrometer.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your using 72 % bovedas your gonna have a higher level. Plus the digital hygrometers are always a +-2 %. I suggest you use the 65 or 69% boveda packs
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    If your using 72 % bovedas your gonna have a higher level. Plus the digital hygrometers are always a +-2 %. I suggest you use the 65 or 69% boveda packs
    This ^^^^^^^^!  Also might want to let your humidor rest a day after your seasoning is complete.  What I found works best is to season low and slow for about a week, then add your humidifier, let that sit for a day or two, then add the cigars.  This allowed for everything to balance out.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I want to thank every one that responded to my questions...
    Affordable imported wooden humidors (I'm being kind with that description.) are a hit and miss proposition. I know, I've had quite a few. About half of the desktops I've had have had great seals. The others leaked. Even if they seal great. None of them will hold well through the dry winters. 

Sometimes, brand new humidors require way too much tinkering. Unfortunately, that info isn't part of the advertising pitch. They should give warnings. Just like they do for pharmaceutical advertising.

"Affordable imported humidors may induce disappointment, frustration, rage,  and/or sadness."   

I use coolers. I keep wooden desktop humidors inside coolers. No humidors on display. I suppose I could set the desktops out when company comes over.