Home Cigar 101

THE BEST OVER ALL CIGAR

LoyaltyLoyalty Posts: 15
I like stocking my humidor with the best new cigars on the market. What would you all say that cigar is right now as for looks taste aroma and burn and price. Im always looking for that new cigar that i havent tryed to put in to my humidor?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I'm assuming you don't mean this...

But since cigars are so subjective, I'm not sure you'll get a clear answer... depends on what you like.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    That's the best looking R&J I've ever seen.
    No offense if that's your wife 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot out there, what do you like right now and we can point you to some new ones?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    There's a lot out there, what do you like right now and we can point you to some new ones?
    100% this--tastes can change. I loved Nub's Connie 464 when I started out, now not so much! 

If if you want some fuller stick reccomendations; Viaje (any), Don Pepin Garcia (if his, his daughter, or for Tatuaje), any of the Liga Privada line, el Geugenese, or Black Label Trading Co.

But truthfully, I am already wandering into the weeds. It's all relative to your palate. Right now, I would be so bold to recommend any Maduro or even any Ligero stick, because those are the ones I have been enjoying. Hell, I would even recommend any stick from the ISOM.

If you wanna glean some fantastic recommendations, check out the 'What are you smoking this [morning/afternoon/night]' threads. 

Hope me this helps a little!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People ask me all the time, "What's your favorite coffee?" because they think I know coffee and if it's my favorite, it'll translate into their favorite too.  So I always answer, "Whatever is in my cup, that's my favorite".

The same can hold true similarly to cigars.  Until I realized that my cigar tastes ran closer to @avengethis' or @Stubble's and not so much to @Patrickbrick's, I was frustrated buying or trying sticks based on Patrick's recommendations... not entirely, but he likes cigars full of pop and impact, and I like a med-full. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Some of the best cigars I've had were old, tried and true cigars that cost $5.
    Hey 0,

Maybe we can convert this fella. 

After all, the Chevy Bel Air is a classic for a reason.

What are your classic stick suggestions?

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    0patience said:
    Some of the best cigars I've had were old, tried and true cigars that cost $5.
    Hey 0,

Maybe we can convert this fella. 

After all, the Chevy Bel Air is a classic for a reason.

What are your classic stick suggestions?

Well, I like Torano's.
    The 1916 is one that seems to be likable to most folks.
    There are a ton of Fuente's cigars that are under $7 at B&Ms and really reasonable online.

The problem, as was stated, is that just as someone likes a Filet mignon, others like a well grilled hamburger. 

And then there is the problem where one chef makes a killer Filet mignon, another ruins it. Same with cigars. You can't always assume that because one cigar has a certain wrapper, they will all be good. 

To me, buying a cigar because it's expensive and WILL be good is fooling yourself.
    Gurkha preys on this mindset.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price and taste Illusione Rothchilds or anything My Father.

Pricey range Opus X Angels Share or you can dab in anything on the ISOM. Unless its a Churchill I stay aways from RYJ's. 

However before you buy anything i would get a sampler or trade for some of them. You may not like what others recommend. Make friends, it seems everyone here gives cigars away lol.

You should sign up for the newsletter also. There is thread about it.

You want the best NC IMO.

Casa Fuente Lancero. GL getting them though.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    People ask me all the time, "What's your favorite coffee?" because they think I know coffee and if it's my favorite, it'll translate into their favorite too.  So I always answer, "Whatever is in my cup, that's my favorite".

The same can hold true similarly to cigars.  Until I realized that my cigar tastes ran closer to @avengethis' or @Stubble's and not so much to @Patrickbrick's, I was frustrated buying or trying sticks based on Patrick's recommendations... not entirely, but he likes cigars full of pop and impact, and I like a med-full. 
    Yeah, also drinking the same type of coffee day after day can get old... I like variety.  Some go so far as to drink different coffees based on the time of day (a morning cup, afternoon, etc.) just like some people like to start their day with a milder Connie cigar and savor a stronger cigar later in the day. 

The Italians can be strict about coffee, cappuccinos are reserved for the morning cup among purists, almost a breakfast in itself and it's mainly espressos for the rest of the day.

That said, it's worth figuring out what are your go-to sticks, I'm in the process of that myself and I'm wondering if it's worth laying in some La Palina classics for an everyday stick.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I'm assuming you don't mean this...

But since cigars are so subjective, I'm not sure you'll get a clear answer... depends on what you like.
    I like the looks of this cigar quite well. Looks like it would be very tasty. However, that wrapper (Connecticut?) looks a tad wrinkled (toothy?) and it can't be a Cuban since it has only a single cap. Other than that I'd say it's a keeper....  B)
    @peter4jc

LOL. I had to borrow that pic. I have had one of the Lances before and getting another is way out of my price range or I need to be in Vegas. But I will always remember smoking it for sure.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Rodney's got a pair of new shoes.  And he's wearing lipstick and nail polish too.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  @miller65rod
    I noticed the same thing! Rodney is lookin fancy!!! 
    I see all the comedians are out today lol. Thx for the compliments though..

@Juan Valdez and @Talk To Tucker Realty.....Batta Bing!
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

edited March 2016
    @peter4jcOn serious note, can you PM me your website for JAVA. TYIA
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the newest and best you must try Rocky Patel and Gurkha.  They are constantly coming out with new lines that are all amazing!!!!!!!!!!  (This post is meant to be sarcastic).
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the newest and best you must try Rocky Patel and Gurkha.  They are constantly coming out with new lines that are all amazing!!!!!!!!!!  (This post is meant to be sarcastic).
    Nooooo....reallyy???
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^ LOL.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... so is taste. That said.... I have never met anyone who doesn't adore La Aroma De Cuba....
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best is the one you're enjoying at the moment. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to the original question is:  Hemingway Signature.

All the other answers are right, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    LP9.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best cigar ever. ZOIDIAN!!!! :D
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I agree! Gurkhas comes out with so many different cigars, it is hard to smoke all of them. (Not because they make too many, but because they suck a$$ lol).
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Vegas Classic, very reasonable and always good.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The smoking jackets have been smoking great! But they are from 2013
    Money can't buy taste
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    @Yakster You know where I can pick up one of those for myself?

5 Vegas Classic, very reasonable and always good.

I find myself leaning more toward the golds or the Series A in terms of what I would choose for a daily smoke. Classic is good but I only taste straight tobacco on them.

And I wouldn't bet on the "Highest" price as the best cigars either. I've had a bunch of different Gurkhas and I'm not sure I would buy a box even at 90% off the retail price. Most of them are 1 note. Cedar. So if you like the taste of cedar and like blowing money, have at it.

@Loyalty On the top end price wise (for my price range) I'd have to recommend "Undercrown Shade", easily one of the better tasting cigars on the market and 200+ a box. Have at it.