Home Cigar 101

Although I use boveda bag and 84 rh , why does hygrometer show that 78 ??

SevenhillliSevenhillli Posts: 21
Hi , 

My humidor is in seasoning so I use boveda large bag . 17 cigar are in this bag and I use 84 rh in this bag but hygrometer shows that 77rh . Why does hygrometer show 84 rh ? 

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long have they been in the bag?  It takes a while for the cigars to soak up that much extra humidity, probably several days, I hope that they don't split out on you. Have you calibrated your hygrometer? 
  • SevenhillliSevenhillli Posts: 21
    They have been  for a week  in the bag . I splited out on  my bag . I calibrated my hygrometer but i need re again calibrated i think . Isnt it? 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you trying to get your cigars to 84??

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    When i was started seasoning , i had a lot of 84 rh pack . So i have to use 84 . I do not want buy , spend a lot of money . After seasoned finish i will buy 75 rh . That rh is normalltly for me . I will use two pack . Analog hygrometer and digital hygrometer was showing same rh so no necesaary re calibrated . 

Althouh one pack 84 rh why does hygrometer show 77 rh ? I did not understand
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that you have 84 boveda in the bag or in the humidor?
     If in the bag with the cigars, I don't understand why you would do that.

I'm lost.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    edited March 2016
    In bag . Because my humidor is in seasoning . 

There was two hygrometes in my humidor. Two hygrometers show same rh but digitalhygrometer show 77 rh in bag with 84 pack. I think these pack does not show rh that written in front of boveda pack .
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 84 boveda is for seasoning the humidor, not for cigar storage. 
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not want buy , spend a lot of money . 
    Hmmm, that may change.

I use use 2 hygro's too, but 1 in each humi and rotate the extra from humi to humi for a sanity check.  You may want to re-think 75% in your humi though, but if that's where it's at put them in then and bring the % down slowly.  Always try and keep mine around 65%, seem to smoke better.

When I started on this cigar adventure I bought and over seasoned my first humi too.  Took a couple weeks, close to 3 actually, to get it stable, then I ordered some cigars.  May want to put the boveda's in another empty bag for a while to save them and burp the one the cigars are in once in a while to bring it down a little.  
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the bag you are using is impermeable (very unlikely) then air is being exchanged outside the bag as well this why you get the lower reading. Essentially your 84 pack is humidifying the aif outside the bag. 

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Hi again , my home is started hot so i put bag at balcony.  At home degree shows 23 cantigrat . At balcony it shows 16 cantigrat 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having your cigars over 70 rh is not a good idea unless you like smoking a sponge and mold
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

When seasoning is finished , I will use 2 pack 75 rh in my humidor . There was 84 rh so I am using it . 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with that. 75 is too high let alone 84. Optimal is between 65-68 but no higher than 70 rh
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to be a bit dry than that wet. I would toss the 84 before it does irreparable damage.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...