Home Non Cigar Related

Wireless router help

Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any tech savvy folks here?  I am going to get a new wireless router for the home but have no idea what to get. Tried to research a few online but reading that was like reading Chinese. 
I need something to support PS3 IPad, kindle, laptop wireless printer capable couple iPhones as well.  Also have direct tv genie.   My current wireless is over 6 years old what is best one for what I want.   Any help or advice will be appreciated. 

Comments

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u have a Mac I would get the Airport Extreme and if needed an Airport Express. This all depends on the size and levels of the house. If you have no Mac, I have ran Linksys wireless routers with no issues and everything will connect to them. They even have smart routers now. Have no idea what it does but I get emails from them all the time. I am far from tech savvy but I am a consumer and Linksys routers seem to work well. I would recommend them.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to have a Mac to get the Apple router. If you are not tech savvy, I recommend it. It's pricey, but it is no fuss. It's very reliable, rarely have any issues or goes down. @Nolagizmo, thoughts? 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not have a Mac.  
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recomend the Asus ac3100 or better. Apple routers WERE great in the past but they have not kept up with the latest innovations on networking. A technology has brought several new front runners to the router world. Based on customer feed back netgear, linksys, and Asus are all beating apple in the router world. If I was buying a router today it would have to have a c technology and be able to run all the devices I have now and will aquire over the next several years. I would not dip below ac1900 from any manufacturer. Square footage plays the final part on how beefy a device you need.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asus is the way to go right now. Linksys was great when they were owned my Cisco but now dlink owns them and they have suffered. Private message me a phone number if you want and we can chat about it. Or I'm hopping on the vherf here shortly.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread will be very helpful for me as well. Thanks for the info, everyone.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played with my router today to try and get a better signal in the garage, changed my settings from WPA2-AES/TKIP to just WPA2-AES, I don't remember which device I had that only supported TKIP which limits the speed, I think the Wii. If I still have trouble I may dig up an old router as a garage repeater (which is not that far from my router in the family room) or get a router with the 5.8 GHz band because my neighbors are all using 2.4 GHz. Seems better, could even be my ATT/UVERSE broadband connection. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to try putting the wireless router on top of the TV instead of on top of the coffee table in the family room (the lowest room in the house) and this increase of about 4' in height seems to have made the most difference in WiFi signal strength and performance.

I may even be able to have usable WiFi in the front yard now too if I want it.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I decided to try putting the wireless router on top of the TV instead of on top of the coffee table in the family room (the lowest room in the house) and this increase of about 4' in height seems to have made the most difference in WiFi signal strength and performance.

I may even be able to have usable WiFi in the front yard now too if I want it.
    The first router I bought (Linksys) said in the instructions to place it as high as possible for the best results. 

Also, I bought a repeater to plug into an outlet in another room to extend the range of my wi-fi. They're fairly inexpensive and worth it, IMO......   I googled info on all of this...   B)