Home General Discussion

Reliable lighter?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Keep ending up flicking a Bic cuz I can't find a torch lighter that doesn't stop working after a few sticks. Can anyone recommend a decent torch?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Jetline. 9.95 at my B&M. Been using it for well over a year with no problems.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Got this one in the noob secret Santa and it hasn't ever failed me this year. I love it. It always works and it refills easy thank you Mr Baron @Oneisnone
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a number of years I used this lighter that I bought on eBay for about $7 with free shipping from HK. One would last 3 or 4 years before it pooped out on me but for that price I felt it was a good buy. It was also a dual-flame lighter - soft flame or torch. A little bulky but worked well for a table lighter and the fuel tank was huge. Oh, and by the way, I believe a forum brother, Mike Tuccelli, sells these as well. (See photo below)

Then I learned of the Ronson Jetlite for about $3.50 or $4 at Wally World. Worked well, cheap, dependable. Not a bad deal. 

Then for Christmas I was gifted with (among other things) a Xikar Forte lighter. I'll tell ya, I've never had a lighter so good before. And it's got a lifetime warranty on it. It's a tad pricey but, in this world, ya get what ya pay for. And with a Xikar, ya only have to pay it once...  
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar ELX.  I hated lighters until I got this one.  Probably 3 years of use and never had an issue

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you get, make sure you get a good girl. If you skimp on the butane even the best lighter will clog up.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bombs away
    Wylaff said:
    Whatever you get, make sure you get a good girl. If you skimp on the butane even the best lighter will clog up.
    Um....., Whadja say??
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

No expert, but I highly second the Ronson Jet Lite. Also several guys told me about 4-5 YouTube videos for a simple modify for greater efficency.

Forgot to say they're very reliable per numerous cigar vets favorable comments. Also cheap, that you won't mind losing it or several. Classic retro style of a better crafted Zippo. I found mine in Walgreens. Walmart had them listed as an in store buy only, but I went to 4 stores and found nothing, but Zippos on shelf. Paid $5.94 plus tax once I found at Walgreens. But, you may find it cheaper either at a local drug store or online.

Great value for the money.
    The secret word is cigars! 
    GrouchoM said:

No expert, but I highly second the Ronson Jet Lite. Also several guys told me about several YouTube videos for a simple modify for greater efficency.
    Right. If you're gonna use the Jet Lite then doing the mod is a definite improvement. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using a Zippo Blu for a few years.  Once I learned that Zippo butane is crap, and how to recognize when and how to clean the torch tip, it's been great.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Wylaff said:
    Um....., Whadja say??
    Good fuel. My phone sucks.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    jlmarta said:
    Wylaff said:
    Um....., Whadja say??
    Good fuel. My phone sucks.
    LOL. It was funnier the other way....   :p
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    jlmarta said:
    GrouchoM said:

No expert, but I highly second the Ronson Jet Lite. Also several guys told me about several YouTube videos for a simple modify for greater efficency.
    Right. If you're gonna use the Jet Lite then doing the mod is a definite improvement. 
    I've had my jet-lite since 2011 think I paid less than 5$ for it. Never a single issue. Even when I was using the cheap ronson fuel in it. But since it's a single flame and a smallish lighter it does need to be filled more often. Another great and cheap lighter is the Vertigo triple flame. This is probably my favorite lighter I've ever used. 
    jlmarta said:
    GrouchoM said:

I'm going to check this out. What's the modifications? My only complaint is the flame could be bigger it seems like it's smaller than it was 4 years ago. 
    Here ya go, Ricky,....

http://youtu.be/VT9inGkgXm0
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was very helpful thank you I've been thinking about trying a ronson. So far I've only ever used a bic
    Non Crux sed lux
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bugatti b2002 I think it is. Dual flame that are angled towards each other. Pretty sweet lighter. Has a punch on it as well. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

jlmarta said:
    Here ya go, Ricky,....

http://youtu.be/VT9inGkgXm0
    Excellent!
  • Cigar-718608Cigar-718608 Posts: 3
    You will go through a lot of lighters and a lot of $$, and end up with a Xikar. Best available anywhere.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've all been through a dozen lighters. It's just par for the course. Even with a great warranty you have to send it in and wait. Nothing wrong with a BIC, they are trusty and work. Only time you need to worry is if it's really windy and the reality is you probably shouldn't be smoking a cigar if you can't find shelter to light it. That and ash blowing on your lap, shirt, and eyes is no fun and certainly not relaxing...lol.  
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @jlmarta I also got one of these online. No problems with it so far. There's an adjustment that allows it to produce a soft flame as well. 
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

I know you mentioned wanting a torch.... but there is an awesome butane lighter insert that fits in Zippo cases.... my friend lives by his! never had an issue with it and come one... Zippos are sexy....

Edited to give you a link. ALSO they come in soft flame and torch (like the one in the link)

http://www.lighterusa.com/vector-thunderbird-butane-insert-double-flame-lighter.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=COf6-4rQ-ssCFYhffgodG-kOsw

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XIKAR

can't be beat that lifetime warranty bro.  if it breaks, send it in for repair/replacement free of charge. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Buy two XICAR. You are aways guranteed to have one.  Remember two is one and one is none. Just something I heard on NATGEO.