Home Non Cigar Related

My Michelin flambe story

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
Woke up early this morning to a rear side driver flat on my car. Begrudgingly put on spare,and drove to tire shop. Looking to pay $7 for a patch or plug. Found these were $9 & $6 respectively.  Ask for plug, told patch was better. Wanted to definitely save the $3, but owner walks by and sees I have 2nd leak. I go still $9 for both. He goes, "two holes, two patches, $18". I was getting less happier by the moment.  But, agreed. But, then the tire tech did something I had never seen before and set the inside of the tire on fire to patch it. It was so cool, I was like whoa, now that's worth $18. Never saw anything like it...sorry, I'm easily distracted by shining object. Tire patched, but left thinking it's definitely time for new tires...but that's another story, for another day.

Btw, really long screw was the cause. Damn, in Houston it's either potholes tearing up your suspension or nail and screws puncturing your tire.
The secret word is cigars! 

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddy owns a Goodyear shop...  they keep a box of screws and nails in the back and randomly pull one or the other to give to the customers, just so they don't feel bad for shelling out the money.  ;)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light it on fire to vulcanized the rubber for better patch job. Also helps the glue to be a bit stickier.  Just be glad your in Texas and not Colorado.  2 holes within 3 inches of each other is a new tire per state law, also limit of 3 total patches per tire allowed per state law (last I knew anyway)..

When I was still wrenchin and slingin tires I had 3 customers that seemed to be in a contest to see who could get the most patches in a tire. Most I seen was 29 in a 225/60r16.. Rural route mail lady.. 

That's the problem with living in a metro area. If I was still in the shop and you rolled in you woulda got charged $8 for a flat repair and 50cents for the 2nd patch..  :)
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Like how you got the no smoking sign behind the open flame in the pic too.